GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

CPO almost out, should I add extended for 2 yrs? opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 09:51 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lex-ative
Of course if you go the stealership way, those will cost you. However if you are even half handy with a hammer and a screwdriver, there are many DIY threads for a lot of problems that you could fix yourself for less than what you would pay a month in extended warranty.

for example, I had the mirror crap/black stuff and got it replaced for $100. It is really not that hard to take the rear view mirror down.

But if you like to pay for your oil changes instead of saving money in doing it yourself, by all means, go for the extended.

Me, I like the extra cash in my pocket.
It's has nothing to do with the dealership...it has to do with cost, the ability to do what you said, availability of the part, convenience, and if you have the time to fix it yourself. To me $1800 was cheap to know that I wouldn't have to worry about having to fix something or find parts for 8yr/120k.

A lot of people spend 2x that on modifying their cars...im beyond that stage in my life and my time is too valuable to be worried about fixing on this car.

Drop it off, pick up the loaner, and keep moving...but to each their own...
Old 11-26-14, 06:23 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman50
Way too expensive insurance for a vehicle that has very little future repair cost.......remember it's a Lexus.
agree completely. I would just do proactive maintenance as you need to and not worry about it before shelling out 2k.
Old 11-26-14, 06:27 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
It's has nothing to do with the dealership...it has to do with cost, the ability to do what you said, availability of the part, convenience, and if you have the time to fix it yourself. To me $1800 was cheap to know that I wouldn't have to worry about having to fix something or find parts for 8yr/120k.

A lot of people spend 2x that on modifying their cars...im beyond that stage in my life and my time is too valuable to be worried about fixing on this car.

Drop it off, pick up the loaner, and keep moving...but to each their own...
This makes sense to me as well.I think context is everything. The simplicity and headache free experience is worth paying the 2k in this case. I wouldn't do it, but I also have the luxury of not driving the car until i order parts online etc. Someone who must have his car running everyday, to commute etc, can appreciate the warranty/loaner etc a bit more given that situation.
Old 11-26-14, 07:41 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Asav
This makes sense to me as well.I think context is everything. The simplicity and headache free experience is worth paying the 2k in this case. I wouldn't do it, but I also have the luxury of not driving the car until i order parts online etc. Someone who must have his car running everyday, to commute etc, can appreciate the warranty/loaner etc a bit more given that situation.
LOL! I love just dropping it off and getting my loaner. I've read enough post on this forum to know I don't want to deal with some of these problems. I don't need the car everyday I only drive it about 2 days a week since I have other vehicles but the Lexus extended warranty is cheap compared to other luxury car lines...even Infiniti's...
Old 11-28-14, 01:40 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sprtdsgnGS
It is the Lexus factory warranty. So far I have had the water pump, a head light assembly and a parking sensor replaced under CPO. I was considering selling the car but now I think I will keep it for at least 2-3 more years and that's why I'm thinking about the warranty. I haven't had any engine troubles and I maintain it really well.
Rear view mirrors, side mirrors, rear calipers seized, trunk oen issue, A/C clog, etc are well known issues for 3rd Gen. If none of those issues has been addressed, I would go with the EW.
Old 11-28-14, 03:11 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you uad any issues? If not, i would never buy an extended warranty, unless its for used mercedes of alfa romeo.
Old 11-30-14, 04:37 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Never buy an extended warranty. Think about it. If you just save the money instead of paying for an expensive extended warranty you will come out ahead financially in the end. The statistical probability that your Lexus needs a major repair will be very low.
Old 11-30-14, 08:18 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Never buy an extended warranty. Think about it. If you just save the money instead of paying for an expensive extended warranty you will come out ahead financially in the end. The statistical probability that your Lexus needs a major repair will be very low.
Older lexus that had half the electronics and features that this one has...I might agree...but I have gotten my money back already andd my car is an 08 with 63k...two struts, trunk button, and one other thing...you can say statistic...but look at some of the issues on the 3GS on this forum and they can be costly...I like piece of mind knowing that I don't have to worry about something not working on my car or paying someone to look at my car and making me pay for something I don't need.

2k is a small price to pay for that piece of mind and when I decide to get rid of it the car will still be under warranty and everything will be working for the next owner.
Old 12-02-14, 11:14 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
Older lexus that had half the electronics and features that this one has...I might agree...but I have gotten my money back already andd my car is an 08 with 63k...two struts, trunk button, and one other thing...you can say statistic...but look at some of the issues on the 3GS on this forum and they can be costly...I like piece of mind knowing that I don't have to worry about something not working on my car or paying someone to look at my car and making me pay for something I don't need.

2k is a small price to pay for that piece of mind and when I decide to get rid of it the car will still be under warranty and everything will be working for the next owner.
I still stand by my statement, Never ever buy an extended warranty. If everyone had issues with their car like you did, warranty companies would go broke.
Old 12-02-14, 01:12 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I still stand by my statement, Never ever buy an extended warranty. If everyone had issues with their car like you did, warranty companies would go broke.
Yeah...not everyone will...but many do...like I said and I also stand by my statement...if something acts up it gets fixed...I don't have to just deal with it...I have invoices to prove on all my vehicles that it has paid off and not some 3rd party crap so no they won't go broke as long as the manufacturer is backing or fronting the warranty underwriter...plenty of people don't know things aren't working on their cars because they don't use them or don't pay attention to things...i can waste 2k on a lot of stuff besides this car but for my piece of mind and my financial situation...its a no brainer on a car that I decided to drop 54k on.

So to each their own...but like I said...all you have to do is read this forum and make that decision based on your financial situation and the history of your car.
Old 12-07-14, 04:12 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. It's such a scam. Save the money for REAL repairs you'll encounter within those 40k miles.

If you want defect insurance, you can buy it for $400 (what the dealer pays). 1800 is a huge huge profit and you'll never need it. Hell, if something does break, it'll probably only cost you a 10th of 1800 to repair.
Old 12-07-14, 05:00 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dadoody
No. It's such a scam. Save the money for REAL repairs you'll encounter within those 40k miles.

If you want defect insurance, you can buy it for $400 (what the dealer pays). 1800 is a huge huge profit and you'll never need it. Hell, if something does break, it'll probably only cost you a 10th of 1800 to repair.
What's a real repair? Having 2 struts replaced? Seat motor? Trunk switch?

Everything is a gamble...for some it pays off....for some it doesn't...just like many bought a Lexus because of past reliability...which isn't the same either....