GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Today's GS carnage/smash-up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-14, 09:53 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sad part is that I'm 100% sure that I would have been able to stop in time if I had been wearing my awesome summer tires. They have endless grip and stopping power, but I had to switch to my winter set since it's snowing here today.
Old 11-16-14, 04:00 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Right or wrong doesn't even matter here. You were able to get out of the car and take the pictures....PERIOD. It could have been worse, and I am glad we didn't loose a member today bro! Good luck with the fixes and hopefully she will ride true when you get her rolling again
Old 11-16-14, 06:30 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
Why 50/50? GS light is green.... he has the right of way anytime. RX was making a very slow left turn
Agreed. The Rx cut the corner on the turn and slowed down on the turn.
It doesn't matter. The GS has the right of way.
When you crossed the path of an oncoming vehicle and caused the accident. It's your fault.
I made that same mistake.
Old 11-16-14, 06:43 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I'm saying that when the RX started turning at 0:07, OP was at least 8 car lengths away. That's plenty of distance to stop, but it doesn't look like the GS slows down.

This might turn out to be a 50/50 insurance claim, because the RX had plenty of distance and time to make the turn, but RX turned too slowly.
Glad you both walked away, I did notice that you were going a bit fast and the GPS speed said you were doing 48mph which most local road speed limit around the country are anywhere from 25-35mph. I wouldn't show that video to any one insurance related because they can possibly over turn and say you were at fault because you were speeding and if you were going the speed limit, you would have had enough time to slow down and avoid the accident. Be grateful you walked away clean

Even if you have the right of way, you as a driver should be able to avoid accidents like this. One can say you weren't paying attention because of your late reaction to brake when the car was well into the intersection before you started to slow down. This is just me going off of what the camera saw, not necessarily what you saw

Not to mention you ran a red light at the beginning of the video (@ 0:01 the light was Red)

Last edited by NYKnick101; 11-16-14 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-16-14, 06:53 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pman6
You both were at fault, more so the RX though.

RX slowed down in the intersection when you were approaching. I would have gunned it to get out of the way if I were driving the RX.

But you had over 100 feet to stop when the RX started to make the turn. You were going the same speed up until the last minute.

honking can do that to inexperienced drivers.
You look at the tape again.
The GS was almost at the traffic light while the RX was still in the intersection. No time to react.
You don't stop on the Green light. Traffic is behind you.
The RX should have stopped and yielded for oncoming traffic. Instead the RX driver decided to outrun the GS.
Old 11-16-14, 11:04 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an accident that was identical to yours man! I'm going straight and some guy decides to turn left right before I'm about to pass him. Slammed the brakes and tried swerving left but he took the turn so slow his car was completely perpendicular to me and it was unavoidable. I too felt ABS kick in and steering is minimal when you slam on the brakes. I feel your pain man! I came out okay but car was totalled. The other guy was definitely at fault and in your case too. He went so slow and did not yield to oncoming traffic. Hope you get well and your damage looks a lot less severe so hope to see you up and running again!

Old 11-17-14, 06:32 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

From an insurance point they are gonna say 50/50 but then again I wasn't there a video can display something a little different to the drivers perspective. We think he had ample room to stop and maybe he really didn't, dash cams don't really show the real speed traveled. Glad your ok it was unavoidable.
Old 11-17-14, 09:40 AM
jgayda666
Driver School Candidate

You should definitely invest in taking an accident avoidance class (defensive driving)
You had plenty of time to react (had you been looking far enough ahead)

Check around locally for a Defensive Driving school that practices Accident Avoidance, you will learn TONS, and next time this happens (it will) you will be properly trained to react to it.
Old 11-17-14, 02:47 PM
tontonz
Driver School Candidate

I would absolutely get some legal counsel and don't give the insurance companies your side of the story. They will always try to **** you over.

Here's some pics of my GS that was hit by a drunk driver back in July.

Total repair cost was a little over 10 grand which nearly totaled my car but thankfully had no structural damage. Biggest bit of the repair was a fuse box for 1k that was damaged in the trunk and the fact that it was a quarter panel. Lost 2k in market value but don't plan on reselling it anytime soon so its not that big of a deal, plus the car came back in a little better condition because there were some blemishes and dings on my rear bumper previous to the accident.. Im just glad it wasn't totaled because I've had only had the car since March of this year.
Old 11-17-14, 03:15 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rjk
The RX driver got the ticket from the cops and not me, so there's that answer for you. I did indeed take my foot off the gas because of the first guy going through the intersection, and I was completely not suspecting that the RX driver would try to make the turn as well. She could have cleared the intersection by speeding up, but she froze and that was that.

Don't judge my speed based on the GPS speedometer, because it's very slow to react. Notice that in the instant after I have come to a complete stop, the GPS speed still shows 14 MPH. I was squealing the tires and heard the ABS activated during the last few seconds, but you can't hear them in the video because of the horn.

I could not swerve any farther to the left because the road was a sweeping right hand curve, and I would have either hit the other left turning traffic head on, or smashed the posts in the median instead. I'm OK, but I think I am forever doomed to get spam and phone calls from all the ambulance chasers in the universe from now on
He got the ticket but I'll bet your insurance company will say you are partially at fault too by not having complete control of your vehicle.Did you hit the brake late?Could be the video but it looks like you had time to react to avoid the collision.
I wouldn't show that video.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-17-14 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-17-14, 04:46 PM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds good but no matter what that car shouldn't have been in the intersection in the first place… but just like most convicted murderers and others they will plead not guilty….
Old 11-17-14, 09:13 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
Glad you both walked away, I did notice that you were going a bit fast and the GPS speed said you were doing 48mph which most local road speed limit around the country are anywhere from 25-35mph. I wouldn't show that video to any one insurance related because they can possibly over turn and say you were at fault because you were speeding and if you were going the speed limit, you would have had enough time to slow down and avoid the accident. Be grateful you walked away clean

Even if you have the right of way, you as a driver should be able to avoid accidents like this. One can say you weren't paying attention because of your late reaction to brake when the car was well into the intersection before you started to slow down. This is just me going off of what the camera saw, not necessarily what you saw

Not to mention you ran a red light at the beginning of the video (@ 0:01 the light was Red)
I don't think he ran the red light. Yellow light, maybe. The light was yellow when his car was in the intersection. When the light turned red, his car already reached the other end.
The video cam gives a false perception of distance ahead.

The OP didn't expect the RX driver would make that turn. When he did, it was too late to react.
If he expected the unexpected, he could either swirl to the left or tried to stop the car. Either way he would run into the risk of being hit by a car behind him. Then it's his fault.
Old 11-18-14, 12:58 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Christ, by the way the driver of the RX was driving, I'd swear you were in WA.... Lots of morons out there who don't understand what getting the F out of the way means.
Old 11-19-14, 12:02 AM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with others here when they said DO NOT show this to your insurance company.

vehicle begins to make the turn at 7 seconds and your reaction was at 9 seconds according to the nose dive on your hood caused by hard braking. imo dont take this the wrong way but you had plenty of time to avoid this and swerving to the other lane is a definite NO NO as you would be responsible for the other vehicle in that lane.

important thing is you and the other party is ok. since the other party received a citation for the accident, that is all the proof you need for insurance claim to fall in your favor.

fyi for someone who said he didnt run a red light in the beginning, he sure did, he was still in the middle of the intersection when the light turned red. you have to be free and clear of the intersection by completely crossing the white solid lines before the light turns red. got a ticket for this, thats how i know =P
Old 11-19-14, 09:00 AM
gs300awd18
Driver School Candidate

Well, it's a great opportunity to replace the 17" 10 spokes with some nice factory OEM 18" 5 spokes.

Quick Reply: Today's GS carnage/smash-up!