GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Today's GS carnage/smash-up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-14, 07:03 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Today's GS carnage/smash-up!

Get a dashcam, folks! And don't skimp on a cheap one either.

Old 11-15-14, 07:12 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rjk

Get a dashcam, folks! And don't skimp on a cheap one either.

WOW!!!! Some people...man!!! I'm glad you are ok. If someone would have been in the other lane that could have been 10x worse!!!

That's a lot of damage...idiot drivers are everywhere...
Old 11-15-14, 07:16 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
WOW!!!! Some people...man!!! I'm glad you are ok. If someone would have been in the other lane that could have been 10x worse!!!

That's a lot of damage...idiot drivers are everywhere...
Yeah, it's going to need a new headlight assembly (at least $1k all on its own), new fog light, new bumper cover, new quarter panel, repair or replace the wheel (I think it's repairable), and paint repair on the door and rocker panel with the expensive 3-layer pearl paint job. And then an alignment. Tire looks OK.
Old 11-15-14, 09:19 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rjk
Yeah, it's going to need a new headlight assembly (at least $1k all on its own), new fog light, new bumper cover, new quarter panel, repair or replace the wheel (I think it's repairable), and paint repair on the door and rocker panel with the expensive 3-layer pearl paint job. And then an alignment. Tire looks OK.
I'm sure there's going to be some hidden damage as well. Man!!! Sorry to see that but glad you are ok!
Old 11-15-14, 09:30 PM
Roe
Driver

So what was their excuse? Did they just freeze in the intersection for no apparent reason?
Old 11-15-14, 09:41 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You both were at fault, more so the RX though.

RX slowed down in the intersection when you were approaching. I would have gunned it to get out of the way if I were driving the RX.

But you had over 100 feet to stop when the RX started to make the turn. You were going the same speed up until the last minute.

Originally Posted by Roe
So what was their excuse? Did they just freeze in the intersection for no apparent reason?
honking can do that to inexperienced drivers.
Old 11-15-14, 10:59 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's 100% RX's fault... And looking at the screen shot at 0:09 seems about 25 feet from actual impact, even if the GS were to slam the brakes at 25 feet at 40 mph, it's unavoidable since the RX froze and hesitated.
Old 11-15-14, 11:05 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I think you could have done better to avoid that accident. When the RX first entered the intersection you should have taken your foot off the gas pedal, and covered the brake pedal. Gradually applying brake as you come closer to the RX.

Important thing is both are safe, cars are disposable and repairable.
Old 11-15-14, 11:30 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveThatV8
It's 100% RX's fault... And looking at the screen shot at 0:09 seems about 25 feet from actual impact, even if the GS were to slam the brakes at 25 feet at 40 mph, it's unavoidable since the RX froze and hesitated.
I'm saying that when the RX started turning at 0:07, OP was at least 8 car lengths away. That's plenty of distance to stop, but it doesn't look like the GS slows down.

This might turn out to be a 50/50 insurance claim, because the RX had plenty of distance and time to make the turn, but RX turned too slowly.

Last edited by pman6; 11-15-14 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-16-14, 01:39 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I'm saying that when the RX started turning at 0:07, OP was at least 8 car lengths away. That's plenty of distance to stop, but it doesn't look like the GS slows down.

This might turn out to be a 50/50 insurance claim, because the RX had plenty of distance and time to make the turn, but RX turned too slowly.
Why 50/50? GS light is green.... he has the right of way anytime. RX was making a very slow left turn
Old 11-16-14, 03:29 AM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
Why 50/50? GS light is green.... he has the right of way anytime. RX was making a very slow left turn
Lol right? No arguments here, but where it all comes down is that I hope that everyone's alive and safe.
Old 11-16-14, 05:41 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow! Glad you are ok!! The RX driver was completely at fault. The OP may have able to avoid it but the RX should not have been there in the first place!!
Old 11-16-14, 06:57 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

The RX driver got the ticket from the cops and not me, so there's that answer for you. I did indeed take my foot off the gas because of the first guy going through the intersection, and I was completely not suspecting that the RX driver would try to make the turn as well. She could have cleared the intersection by speeding up, but she froze and that was that.

Don't judge my speed based on the GPS speedometer, because it's very slow to react. Notice that in the instant after I have come to a complete stop, the GPS speed still shows 14 MPH. I was squealing the tires and heard the ABS activated during the last few seconds, but you can't hear them in the video because of the horn.

I could not swerve any farther to the left because the road was a sweeping right hand curve, and I would have either hit the other left turning traffic head on, or smashed the posts in the median instead. I'm OK, but I think I am forever doomed to get spam and phone calls from all the ambulance chasers in the universe from now on
Old 11-16-14, 09:13 AM
darinmg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was one of the more avoidable crashes I've seen. Could have missed that RX with a '70s Cadillac....you obviously weren't watching as closely as your dash cam. Rx fault...technically yes. Grandma driver award goes to you. Sorry...had to say it with the evidence posted.
Old 11-16-14, 09:37 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by darinmg
That was one of the more avoidable crashes I've seen. Could have missed that RX with a '70s Cadillac....you obviously weren't watching as closely as your dash cam. Rx fault...technically yes. Grandma driver award goes to you. Sorry...had to say it with the evidence posted.
A 70's Cadillac....lol....late model maybe...You would have been turning that wheel to dodge at RX forever...lol

That RX would have never turned in front of you in that...now that's some video I would have paid to see...lol

But on a serious note...the RX was wrong period...they impeded the traffic rule is if there is any reasonable doubt that you can't make it you don't go....simple

Quick Reply: Today's GS carnage/smash-up!