GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How well made and reliable is the 3rd Generation GS? (thinking of 2009)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-14, 10:51 PM
jcnova100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How well made and reliable is the 3rd Generation GS? (thinking of 2009)

Hi:

Would love some feedback from any folks who have owned the GS350 from 2009 (or 2008). I am considering one with around 60K miles for just shy of 22K. It is not a CPO though. Hence reliability is a concern. The 2001-2005 body styles of the GS were extraordinarily reliable from what I understand, but for some reason I have it in my head that quality tailed off a bit with the next generation. Am I right about this or is this not true? And of course, does anyone have any personal experience with the 2008 or 2009 GS 350 and could offer any feedback on reliability?

On a side note, how enjoyable is the GS350 to drive? What I loved about my 2001 GS300 was its combination of luxury and sportiness. The cabin was very comfortable, but at the same time, it still had what I always called this kind of "glidey" or "gliding" feel to it. In that sense, it had just enough sportiness - certainly more then the ES for example - but it still felt very comfortable. I'm not looking to have some ultra-sporty, feel the road experience like in an Infiniti G37, but I want just enough of that fun gliding experience I enjoyed for several years in my 2001 GS.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-14, 02:57 AM
felo2081
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had my 09 since last December and love the car. Didn't expect for a car that big to have the power it has. good luck on ur purchase and post pics when u get it.
Old 11-05-14, 07:12 AM
GS3FIFTYY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just recently purchased a 2011 gs350. i took it straight to my mechanic, monty over at lex tek in national city, ca. (highly recommended). He was tellin me how the 07-10 had issues with burning oil and that i was lucky to find an 11'. I would look into that.....
Old 11-05-14, 08:26 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

love my GS…. no problems or issues yet...with that said lower the springs on the suspension and you'll have a sporty feeling luxury car!
Old 11-05-14, 09:01 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an 08 with 62k that I bought new....haven't had any problems except for the recalls...but with any car now days...they have a ton more computers and sensors so things are bound to fail. The more options, the more things to fail so that's why you will see more issues with cars now days. Just get it thoroughly inspected and see if you can purchase an Lexus extended warranty if you are worried...

Oil burning? I've only heard of 1 or 2 350's with that problem and I don't know what the maintenance intervals were on those.
Old 11-05-14, 10:12 AM
gs300awd18
Driver School Candidate

I know you were looking for '08-'09 but I have an '06 GS 300 AWD. There were some running changes, most significantly the larger engine and upgraded Nav system beginning in '07. Bought mine at 20K 2 years old - now at 88K 8 years old. Nothing critical has gone wrong, mostly a series of annoying quality control issues, rather than outright reliability issues. I'm unclear as to whether the 3.0 engine was better or worse for reliability than the 3.5. Seems like both have had a number of recalls, including fuel rail replacement and the more serious cold soak rough startup issue, which my 3.0 has finally started to exhibit signs of. Looks like I'm off to fight with the dealer about the recall. Between the 3.0/3.5 It's a tossup, and at this stage you may as well go for the 3.5 for the extra 50 hp.

Back the annoying quality control issues - The dash and interior in general has been plagued with all manner of squeaks, groans, crakes, rattles, and other noises unbecoming what was a $50K Lexus. I've had in for the dash refit 2 times, under warranty. It's a massive job, but did nothing to quiet the rattles. Why I didn't notice them when I first drove it is beyond me. I suppose you won't feel like the car is aging as it gets older, because it has always sounded like a bucket of bolts. My rear sunshade is broken, my cupholder catch refuses to stay closed, and I have numerous paint chips on the hood. It's odd, while the actual materials used seem high quality and the final assembly is very good, there are all these irritating lapses in quality that you simply don't expect in a Lexus. Even an old one, like mine.

So on balance, I'm afraid the '06-11 Gen 3 cars slipped in overall quality compared the Gen 2 cars, and compared to the established Lexus standard. It was an era where they tried to add in a lot of new technology all at once, including AWD, the DI V6, a new Mark Levinson /nav system, radar cruise, parking sensors etc. etc. I do feel this was the best looking GS, in fact the best looking Lexus after the original SC.

As for ride comfort, the Gen 3 cars are stiffer than the Gen 2 cars. Do not buy one with runflats, those things ride like an oxcart with cement in the shocks, hopefully most of those have been replaced by now with a suitable luxury car tire. The automotive press seemed to refuse to admit that Lexus had finally built its first hard riding sedan, but this thing can corner with the best of them. If you really want the best ride, look for one with 17" wheels, obviously. I swapped out to the factory 18"s with corresponding lower profile tires and the ride has never been the same since.

But compared to the 3rd Gen GS contemporaries, I am sure my car is far ahead of the BMW 5 series, Audi A6, Mercedes-Benz E class or the Infinity M for reliability. It's a matter of setting expectations. If I were to go out today and drop $20K for a nice well-maintained 6 year old GS 350, I'm sure I'd feel happy that I'd gotten my money's worth. It's still a much more attractive car than the current model.

Speaking of the current model, I think it will be the last GS for Lexus. It has become so irrelevant to the model lineup they didn't even field an entry for 2012. I have read it was almost cancelled forever. After 20 years fighting for market share in the mid-size near luxury sector, and getting soundly trounced by BMW or Benz year after year, they may have to admit defeat and figure out another way to fill the gap between the ES and the LS. The GS will never be seen as a viable alternative to the 5 series or E class. Maybe Acura is willing to keep wasting their time with the pointless RL/RLX or whatever the hell they are calling their big sedan this week, but I think the CFO types in the Lexus boardroom will say enough is enough and demand a new direction.

Last edited by gs300awd18; 11-05-14 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-05-14, 12:24 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gs300awd18
I know you were looking for '08-'09 but I have an '06 GS 300 AWD. There were some running changes, most significantly the larger engine and upgraded Nav system beginning in '07. Bought mine at 20K 2 years old - now at 88K 8 years old. Nothing critical has gone wrong, mostly a series of annoying quality control issues, rather than outright reliability issues. I'm unclear as to whether the 3.0 engine was better or worse for reliability than the 3.5. Seems like both have had a number of recalls, including fuel rail replacement and the more serious cold soak rough startup issue, which my 3.0 has finally started to exhibit signs of. Looks like I'm off to fight with the dealer about the recall. Between the 3.0/3.5 It's a tossup, and at this stage you may as well go for the 3.5 for the extra 50 hp.

Back the annoying quality control issues - The dash and interior in general has been plagued with all manner of squeaks, groans, crakes, rattles, and other noises unbecoming what was a $50K Lexus. I've had in for the dash refit 2 times, under warranty. It's a massive job, but did nothing to quiet the rattles. Why I didn't notice them when I first drove it is beyond me. I suppose you won't feel like the car is aging as it gets older, because it has always sounded like a bucket of bolts. My rear sunshade is broken, my cupholder catch refuses to stay closed, and I have numerous paint chips on the hood. It's odd, while the actual materials used seem high quality and the final assembly is very good, there are all these irritating lapses in quality that you simply don't expect in a Lexus. Even an old one, like mine.

So on balance, I'm afraid the '06-11 Gen 3 cars slipped in overall quality compared the Gen 2 cars, and compared to the established Lexus standard. It was an era where they tried to add in a lot of new technology all at once, including AWD, the DI V6, a new Mark Levinson /nav system, radar cruise, parking sensors etc. etc. I do feel this was the best looking GS, in fact the best looking Lexus after the original SC.

As for ride comfort, the Gen 3 cars are stiffer than the Gen 2 cars. Do not buy one with runflats, those things ride like an oxcart with cement in the shocks, hopefully most of those have been replaced by now with a suitable luxury car tire. The automotive press seemed to refuse to admit that Lexus had finally built its first hard riding sedan, but this thing can corner with the best of them. If you really want the best ride, look for one with 17" wheels, obviously. I swapped out to the factory 18"s with corresponding lower profile tires and the ride has never been the same since.

But compared to the 3rd Gen GS contemporaries, I am sure my car is far ahead of the BMW 5 series, Audi A6, Mercedes-Benz E class or the Infinity M for reliability. It's a matter of setting expectations. If I were to go out today and drop $20K for a nice well-maintained 6 year old GS 350, I'm sure I'd feel happy that I'd gotten my money's worth. It's still a much more attractive car than the current model.

Speaking of the current model, I think it will be the last GS for Lexus. It has become so irrelevant to the model lineup they didn't even field an entry for 2012. I have read it was almost cancelled forever. After 20 years fighting for market share in the mid-size near luxury sector, and getting soundly trounced by BMW or Benz year after year, they may have to admit defeat and figure out another way to fill the gap between the ES and the LS. The GS will never be seen as a viable alternative to the 5 series or E class. Maybe Acura is willing to keep wasting their time with the pointless RL/RLX or whatever the hell they are calling their big sedan this week, but I think the CFO types in the Lexus boardroom will say enough is enough and demand a new direction.
Well that should scare him off...lol

I don't have the rattles that most complain of. Maybe I've been lucky...my car has been good to me...
Old 11-05-14, 03:08 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I love my '08 460 so far, and I'm not going to say it doesn't have any issues, because the last time I said it didn't have any interior rattles, the door started rattling the next day.... The cars are pretty fun to drive and comfy, but definitely not built like the older ones (had an SC400 that felt like a tank compared to my GS).
Old 11-05-14, 06:27 PM
jcnova100
Driver School Candidate

Default Yikes! Re: How well made and reliable is the 3rd Generation GS?

Gotcha350 is correct, I am scared off, or at least pretty leery now after reading all these posts! I guess I might still consider the 08-09 GS 350, but ONLY if its a CPO version. It might well be safer to sick with a Lexus ES350 from 2008-2011 that is CPO. There are some incredible deals out there on the 2008-2009 years. More conservative than GS I guess, but a heck of a lot safer I'd reckon.

Thanks for the honest feedback guys!
Old 11-05-14, 08:13 PM
jcnova100
Driver School Candidate

Well, some interesting info. I checked out Consumer Reports, which I think is the best source for long-term reliability ratings. I took a snippet of the GS reliability ratings below. Very interesting that the 2008 GS350 is considered really solid with everything above average or excellent. However, then the next years, 2009 and 2010, reliability drops, and in particular the problem category "Engine-Major" has a full black circle, meaning there's something really problematic that's been happening with the 2009-2010 engine of the GS350, at least according to CR. Seems to make me think that if one does go for the 3rd Gen, an '08 might be best? I wonder what the big engine issue is with the 2009-2010 years. Anyway, just sharing this with folks.

Old 11-05-14, 09:18 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought an 06 gs430 3 months ago, felt like I was driving a boat... 2 weeks after the purchase, I went ahead and lowered it 2 inches with tanabe DF210s. Drives like its on rails. I've done my research prior before purchasing, I was looking at a new 2014 Merced CLA, to an 2006 Audi RS4, 2005 bmw M5 to a Challenger r/t 6spd.... And was studying clublexus 3GS forums for about 6 months while burrowing my wife's scion Tc. So like you, I researched before I dropped 8 grand down payment on my current GS.

In the beginning I was almost about to purchase a gs400, but my wife pulled me out of it and just said to save up for a 3GS, I was a bit skeptical being that the 3GS has more to do with electronics though than the 2gs. Considering this is a new era of technology I went for it and bought it, kinda like watching **** on a big old projection TV and switching to LED plasma TV. Whole lot of a difference, again this is just my experience and I love it and I'm sure others have other stories to tell. In terms of rattling of the dashboard, I don't hear any in my car as well, even on Los Angeles city streets... Like riding on clouds even on lowering springs.
Old 11-06-14, 09:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I have a friend with a 2011 that he got the same day I bought my 2013 (mine was new, his was CPO with about 30k on it). He'd had several issues with noisy water pumps which is kind of strange. Other than that he's had no issues, he's at about 75k now. No rattles in his unit which is surprising. It is a great looking car.

Originally Posted by gs300awd18
I don't agree with this. First off, there was no 2012 GS because the 2013 GS launched at the end of January 2012, it was basically two model years. Second its a common misconception that Toyoda wanted the GS axed. What he said was if they weren't going to do it right then they shouldn't do it at all, and that unless they brought him a car that truly could compete he would axe it. The 4GS compares very favorably with its competition, won comperos when it came out, etc. We have a lot of current gen 5 Series owners on the 4GS forum that have traded for the GS because its a better handling car.

Thats a VERY competitive segment, maybe the most in the industry. So many great cars. Obviously the 5 Series and the E Class are huge volume sellers and the GS doesn't compare to that. But, their target for the 4GS was 24k units a year, and sales are around there. The GS-F is a reality, there are test mules out. The 4GS is actually the best selling GS ever worldwide, and its the second most popular Lexus in Japan. With Lexus' new sporting direction, the GS isn't going anywhere.
Old 11-06-14, 09:23 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Don't get us all wrong here, we love the 3GS! Every car is going to have problems, especially a BMW or Audi, and the GS is definitely a strong contender against the 5-series (I could babble on for days about my experiences with those heaps). My 460 has been a really solid car, and if that means I need to live with a little door rattle here and there, then so be it. I know I said they're not built like the old ones, but that goes for pretty much any car nowadays. The 350's are definitely the most problematic out of all the 3GS, at least from what I've seen, so maybe consider a 430/460?
Old 11-06-14, 03:47 PM
GS3FIFTYY
Rookie

burning oil.
Old 11-06-14, 06:42 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS3FIFTYY
burning oil.
Show some proof before you come on here spewing the the 350's have an oil consumption issue. I've had my 08 since the odo had 5 miles on it and my oil level has never dropped. I have the oil changed every 5k or 6 months and I use a 0w-30.

So unless you have proof...dont misinform other of an issue that doesn't exist out side a few who might not have maintained their cars.

Quick Reply: How well made and reliable is the 3rd Generation GS? (thinking of 2009)