GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS430: In the SNOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-14, 08:32 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah we are waiting ….
Old 10-24-14, 08:54 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

***UPDATE***
Soo.....a recap:
I have a vehicle with negative equity that I am trying to roll into this 06 GS350; 100k for $14865. I need my payment to be at a certain mark, which is why the lower the vehicle cost, the more likely, financially it will work.
Car had:
Corroded rims
Needed timing belt/water pump done
Trans fluid change
Scratch on front bumper
Hole beneath the bumper (photos on page one)
3 small rust spots on the hood
Now...
Dealership has added $450--->$15305 and will:
Do timing chain/water pump
Gave it a set of brand new 5 spoke Lexus chrome rims
Change trans fluid
Repair scratch scuff on bumper

I decided to take on the repair cost of bumper, spark plugs and diff fluid.
Initially he told me he would take care of the 3 small rust spots, but he tells me today that his scratch/buff guy said that the hood would have to be repainted and quoted me a price of about $400, and no-they won't take care of it.

With the price of the car, negative equity tax/tag/title: 20554.
I know it's absurd to pay that for an 06 w/ 100k miles, but I'd LOVE to get out of this truck and be in this rare 430 and it has the color combo I love!
They offered me a 2.5 year warranty/30k miles for friggin $2700!!!!
I almost fell out of my chair!
So now I'm stuck.
Part of me is saying walk the he'll away, but part of me wants to go with it bc of the rarity, power and color combo. I spent half the day looking for different warranties that were cheaper.
So that's where I am fellas...
Old 10-25-14, 01:42 AM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id go for it just cause of its rarity of a 430 and the color, i was waiting for 6 months everywhere but none to be found. Everything else like spark plugs, paint chips on the bottom, and diff fluid are all minor stuff to me. For the 15.3 as mentioned above, cool that he'll do timing belt & water pump, a set of oem rims & trans fluid. Maybe knock $200 and keep the corroded rims knowing that later down the line you're going for aftermarket wheels which should drop to 15.1.

As far as the warranty goes, drop down to 2 grand for 24k miles or 2 years so total price out the door would be hopefully under $18-19k

I don't know your original intent or plans for this vehicle afterwards, are you gonna mod afterwards or just keep it stock?
Old 10-25-14, 04:28 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

if you do all the required maintenance, the warranty is wasted money. The 430 drivetrain is bulletproof if properly serviced. Electronics are the only reason I'd ever consider a warranty on one and you can buy a bunch of salvage modules and parts for $2k+.
Old 10-25-14, 06:50 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LoveThatV8
Id go for it just cause of its rarity of a 430 and the color, i was waiting for 6 months everywhere but none to be found. Everything else like spark plugs, paint chips on the bottom, and diff fluid are all minor stuff to me. For the 15.3 as mentioned above, cool that he'll do timing belt & water pump, a set of oem rims & trans fluid. Maybe knock $200 and keep the corroded rims knowing that later down the line you're going for aftermarket wheels which should drop to 15.1.

As far as the warranty goes, drop down to 2 grand for 24k miles or 2 years so total price out the door would be hopefully under $18-19k

I don't know your original intent or plans for this vehicle afterwards, are you gonna mod afterwards or just keep it stock?
That's kind of the conclusion I came to...I had asked that they did the items that would/could possibly effect the car immediately. Diff, hole and plugs are things that can come later. Rust on the hood I just wanted taken care of-really bc I didn't want to think about it down the road. Regarding the price, I haven't asked, but before he even put on the new wheels, he went from 14.8 to 15.3. He said he'd do the belt/pump for $450, hence the increase and cost. And that's been the final price. Now I never asked if he'd knock 200 off if they kept the corroded rims, but it's possible they may have discarded them.
In regards to the warranty, I'm not even being offered 2y/24k for $2k. They are offering me that for for $2500.
I offered him 20k out the door, about $500 less, he wouldn't budge, and this was the used car manager.
My intentions, yes at some point, would be to grab some wheels, probably this Spring as winter is approaching. I have a set of 24's I'd like to and can hopefully off load and put that towards the Lex wheels. I'm thinking it possibly good he replaced the rims bc I've read that corrosion in the area where the tire bead is, causes leaks. But I'm not sure if it was in that area, just saw it on the spokes.
But I'm leaning towards getting it:
Rare car
Rare color combo
The power
Get out of a rapidly depreciating gas guzzling truck
...and I just want it!
Old 10-25-14, 07:00 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twylie
if you do all the required maintenance, the warranty is wasted money. The 430 drivetrain is bulletproof if properly serviced. Electronics are the only reason I'd ever consider a warranty on one and you can buy a bunch of salvage modules and parts for $2k+.
Hey man, thanks for your input!
You know I was thinking that..but after reading about these 3gen GS's, they can be finicky it seems...
Nav screen flickers/fading
Heat blowing motors failing
Brake acctuators failing
Had a guy on here tell me a rear wheel sensor went out: $600
I don't want to spend money on a warranty like that but I most definitely don't want the looming idea of all the possible things that could go wrong looming. I emailed these three guys that I found on here when I searched for warranty info: Troy in Mas, Toby in Kansas and Jerry in Shreveport-all Lexus guys at Toyota or Lexus spots who sell warranties for pretty low prices. But I'm not sure if they have anything for this car considering its age/mileage. We'll see.
Old 10-25-14, 07:06 AM
darinmg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid $1500 for my 3year/30K warranty. Make sure you read the fine print. Mine covers EVERYTHING except the Nav unit. Used it twice already, and had no problems.
Old 10-25-14, 07:11 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by darinmg
I paid $1500 for my 3year/30K warranty. Make sure you read the fine print. Mine covers EVERYTHING except the Nav unit. Used it twice already, and had no problems.
$1500!!
Man...PLEASE tell me with who?!?! Lol
Old 10-25-14, 07:29 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Just heard from warranty guy Toby I spoke about in earlier post: Toby Rivers in Shreveport. Just told me he can't help me due to age/mileage of the car.
Old 10-25-14, 02:19 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Car has been sold.
As I'm on my way to the dealership...I get a call saying it's been sold.
Was a bit Pissed, but business is business.
The search continues...
Thanks guys!
Old 10-27-14, 03:46 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Car has been sold.
As I'm on my way to the dealership...I get a call saying it's been sold.
Was a bit Pissed, but business is business.
The search continues...
Thanks guys!
To be honest, not to sound mean you should have left it, I'm sure something better will turn up.
Old 10-27-14, 04:52 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Put a set of Continental DWS - great all round tire especially for RWD car

I own a 2008 GS 350 RWD - these tires rocked in the snow in Louisville last winter - almost like having AWD
Old 10-27-14, 03:46 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
$1500!!
Man...PLEASE tell me with who?!?! Lol
With any 3rd party warranty read the fine print...lots of them have the option of putting salvage car parts on your car.

$1500 for 3yr/30k isn't that good....i paid $1850 for my Lexus Care 8yr/120k...
Old 10-27-14, 04:49 PM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so sad… better buy on the spot next time… haha j/k
Old 10-27-14, 09:12 PM
darinmg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree the $1500 isn't a steal....but I think there are a lot of factors in the cost of a warranty. It's just another aspect of the deal that is negotiated. I doubt your 8yr/120K was for a 6 year old car with 60K on it. Age and millage also effects the cost of the warranty and how much time/mileage they are willing to offer you. It's a gamble for both...they gamble that the car won't have issues, and you gamble that you might have issues that cost more than the warranty. Typically, I never buy warranties. This was my first. I used it, but not quite enough to say it was worth it.....yet. I'll be happy if I don't need it again for the remainder of the warranty. If I use it several more times, that is a sign to me the car is not worth keeping long term. I don't expect this though, and its exactly why I bought a Lexus/Toyota product.

Quick Reply: GS430: In the SNOW!!!