GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS430: In the SNOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 04:50 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default GS430: In the SNOW!!!

Everyone is sick of seeing my name im sure..but please bare with me!

Ok..i think I may finally be in a situation where its in my hands and the purchase is dependent on what I want to do.
Im aware of some of the issues that can arise (wheel bearings, sensors, timing belt-which dealership said would do for $300 instead of taking money off of the car)
Now, as I reside in the Chicagoland area, could any and everyone who resides in a snowy climate/area who owns a 430 or knows of someone that does, please let me know, as specifically as possible, thoughts and experiences with this car in the snow.
I have done a lot or reading and have come up with:
-Its bad, even with good snow tires, its still OK at best!
-With good snow tires, i'll have no issues!
-DO NOT USE ALL SEASONS!
-Smaller 17" will work better than 18", w/ snow tires
-With the combination of good snow tires, smart driving and being alert-one should be fine.

I have been driving in snowy climates all my life, have driven FWD and AWD. Most recently, a 2000 Honda Accord FWD: NEVER had a problem, though I do realize RWD handle completely different than RWD, plus this car has a lot of power! A few people have deterred me from purchasing a RWD vehicle.....any and all thoughts!!
Thanks so much in advance!
Old 10-21-14, 10:18 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

So I went to look at it tonight...what a great car! It's scary quiet..and the power absolutely trumps that of the gs300! No comparison what so ever...
But, before the drive, I notice a few things on the body. The hood has a few chips in it, nothing too major, but there are three spots where rust has begun to form beneath the surface, right on the edge where you'd place your hands to lift the hood. Very small spots but they are there. He said he could clean it /get it out and repaint it but not sure how that would look.
Secondly, there are a few sizeable scratches on the front bumper, passenger side which he said he'd fix as well. The rims - 2 of 4 are bubbling from corrosion, but a guy is coming tomorrow to adress that. He also told me he'd do the timing chain replacement, and I asked about the water pump, tensioner pulley, tensioner and thermostat and he said...the $350 price is just for the belt. I'll see what else was included but I think just the belt.
See..I had asked him to drop the price bc the car has 100k and it needs to be done, so instead of dropping price of car, he dropped timing belt repair from 700 to 350 and then goes on to say the water pump dosent necessarily have to be done..but I said..but would it make sence though? He understood and will be checking on it tomorrow and let me know. Same with diff fluid and spark plugs.
Lastly..there is a hole in the bottom part of the bumper..like..material missing!
I'll post a few pics...let me know what you guys think...also..still let me know about the handling in the snow!
Thanks!
Old 10-21-14, 10:40 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Here are the photos of the beneath surface rust spots on the edge of the hood, the scratch on the front corner bumper and the large area of the missing bumper!
Attached Thumbnails GS430: In the SNOW!!!-imag1129.jpg   GS430: In the SNOW!!!-imag1130.jpg   GS430: In the SNOW!!!-imag1131.jpg   GS430: In the SNOW!!!-imag1132.jpg  
Old 10-22-14, 03:24 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Need more info, how much is the selling price, what year is the car, I'm curious as he should throw all those repairs in for free he is selling the car is it not a dealership or is it a corner shop.
Old 10-22-14, 05:00 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Sure thing boss:
Sale price: $14965
Year: 2006
Miles: 100k
Seller: Toyota dealership
Only giving (w/o me asking for additional) 1 month/1000 cover anything warranty.

QUOTE=bigblack06;8758445]Need more info, how much is the selling price, what year is the car, I'm curious as he should throw all those repairs in for free he is selling the car is it not a dealership or is it a corner shop.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-22-14, 05:47 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Chicago and I have zero problems driving in the snow with my AWD 08 GS350. If your car is AWD, you'll have no problems. Stopping with any car in the snow is always an issue. As for acceleration and handling, AWD is amazing and my car is unbelievable in the snow!! With that said, I'm still looking to buy a winter car, I'm not sure I want to risk someone else running into my baby!! :-)

If it's only RWD, it will handle like any RWD car would.
Old 10-22-14, 05:55 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kuleaze
I live in Chicago and I have zero problems driving in the snow with my AWD 08 GS350. If your car is AWD, you'll have no problems. Stopping with any car in the snow is always an issue. As for acceleration and handling, AWD is amazing and my car is unbelievable in the snow!! With that said, I'm still looking to buy a winter car, I'm not sure I want to risk someone else running into my baby!! :-)

If it's only RWD, it will handle like any RWD car would.
Thanks man! Problem is (not sure if it's a real problem), Its been quite a while since I have driven RWD in the snow. I'm almost inclined to not worry about it, as I have a daily driver. And it's not like it's Alaska here where the roads are NEVER clear and there is constant ground/road coverage. I may simply retire this issue, but thanks Kuleaze! Great feedback once again!
Old 10-22-14, 07:03 AM
bigblack06

[QUOTE=CRowe14;8758471]Sure thing boss:
Only giving (w/o me asking for additional) 1 month/1000 cover anything warranty.

The price isn't that bad if those items are fixed, there should be no reason was those items are not fixed like the rust and the front bumper. Its due for the timing belt so that should be done as well. Honestly I would offer them $13500 in the condition its in at the moment. Make them either bring the price down or fix those problems for free or just walk away, my suggestion.
Old 10-22-14, 09:43 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I hear you all the way! I also asked them to adress differential fluid change, tranny fluid and spark plugs. The way I see it, it's 100k so it needs a 100k service. I'm waiting to hear what they say they will do. You asked me in PM what's wrong with the Denali. Absolutely nothing! It's a great, comfortable truck, just a guzzler big time! Plus I was told if I'm gonna make a move to get out of it, I should do it before it hits 99k miles, or my trade in value drops again. Otherwise..I may as well keep it for another 2.5 to 3 years. Honestly, I just want the LS really. Don't have to have it, but it would be better on gas. I didn't think it'd be as bad as it is. Also, it's not my daily driver, so it's not killing me, it was just a bad decision to buy it back in April.

QUOTE=bigblack06;8758581]
Originally Posted by CRowe14
Sure thing boss:

The price isn't that bad if those items are fixed, there should be no reason was those items are not fixed like the rust and the front bumper. Its due for the timing belt so that should be done as well. Honestly I would offer them $13500 in the condition its in at the moment. Make them either bring the price down or fix those problems for free or just walk away, my suggestion.
Old 10-22-14, 03:46 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

**UPDATE***
So, the price went from 14859 to 15309.
Why? They are adding on that difference to change timing belt and water pump but won't do tension pully or thermostat.
They will take care of at no extra cost:
Corrosion on wheels
Scratch in bumper
3 small rust spots in hood
Oil/Filter change.

Will not pay for:
Spark plugs
Rear differential fluid
Tranny fluid
The gaping hole in the bumper

Thoughts???
Old 10-22-14, 03:50 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Well, I'd refer you to the last PM I sent you!

Personally, which is what you're asking for, I'd move on and look for a better deal, lower miles, and with less cosmetic imperfections.. But that's just me!
Old 10-22-14, 04:30 PM
hanuman
Rookie

Personally I would walk away. It sounds like many items and there are other cars out there with less miles and imperfections.

As for the car and snow driving. I have a gs460 and have gone thru one sever winter. The tires where stock and ok the car actually did very well. If you get carried away the traction control abs and stability control get the car right back on track.

There was only one time I was scared ****less. The ramp was ice covered and I was starting to loss traction and almost got stuck. Had it in snow mode and pushed thru. The challenger did not do so well.

I am putting winter tires on this year.
Old 10-23-14, 06:28 AM
bigblack06

Yep like I said before if they wont lower the price or fix the items for free I would walk away.
Old 10-23-14, 03:05 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

***UPDATE***
So the salesman calls me back to tell me the following:
The had originally told me they were going to refurbished the wheels due to bad corrosion at no cost to me. Apparently, the wheels were to bad of shape to "fix" so they are giving me a brand new pair of Lexus chrome wheels, an approx 800-1000 value. Was nice to hear.
Secondly, they are going to do the trans and diff fluid change. Spark plugs and bumper are on me, but I found a guy who would do it for a price I'm ok with.
Price: 15100.
I'm figuring the most important issues with the car are being adressed. Plugs I will do within the month, bumper before winter hits.
I think I may go with this...
Any body have any ideas as to what I should expect to pay for an extended warranty?
Thank you for everyone's feedback!
Old 10-23-14, 03:54 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They've added another 2 grand for the warranty for 2 years or 24k miles whichever hits first. That adds another $20 over your monthly pay. Buy it already, lol.

Quick Reply: GS430: In the SNOW!!!