GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 gs300,71.8k: $14999

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-14, 06:39 AM
darinmg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in a pickup before buying my gs too. Drove a 95 Toyota pickup for almost 200k miles over 10 years. It has 385K now, and I still drive it around town.
I looked for months before getting my gs, and it was worth it.
Old 10-18-14, 10:03 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by darinmg
I was in a pickup before buying my gs too. Drove a 95 Toyota pickup for almost 200k miles over 10 years. It has 385K now, and I still drive it around town.
I looked for months before getting my gs, and it was worth it.
385k ???????
I've never actually spoken to anyone with that many miles on their vehicle! So you guys do exist..your not just spoken about, mystified owner's of unbelievably high mileage cars!!
Idk why but that's so great to hear about. I, on the other have an 05 Denali which I'm almost 100% positive will get no where near that mark, and not that I want it to either. The car I'm hoping to take into those numbers would be my 2000 Honda Accord, currently with 166 on the clock. I thought I wanted this truck, as I bought it back in April, but now see these GS's and realize I should have did that instead. Currently, I'm going to see what Carmack will give me. They currently have an 05 Denali,no loaded, with 125k for 17 or 18. I owe 14.7 on mine and it's loaded with 94k miles. Hopefully they come close and offer 12 or 13 then turn around and sell it for 18... I don't want to pay to get out of it, but the only other option is to keep it, pay it down, keep the miles down-which won't be hard to do, but the truck will be getting older thus lower value. We'll see...
Old 10-18-14, 04:56 PM
darinmg
Driver

Yup. 385K. My dad bought it new in '95. I bought it from him with 200K for $4K, and put another 185K on it. It still has the original clutch!! It's a gutless wonder that keeps on going. Only costs $150 per year to keep it, so I am. I call it my street legal wheel barrow :-)
Old 10-18-14, 05:01 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Yup. 385K. My dad bought it new in '95. I bought it from him with 200K for $4K, and put another 185K on it. It still has the original clutch!! It's a gutless wonder that keeps on going. Only costs $150 per year to keep it, so I am. I call it my street legal wheel barrow :-)
Man....I hear you! Keep it going! Plus imbsure it helps keep the miles down on the Lex!
Old 10-18-14, 05:05 PM
darinmg
Driver

It does. I carpool every other day too work, and I take the truck to the meeting spot on the days I don't drive, so it can sit outside, and the GS can stay in the garage :-)
Old 10-18-14, 05:11 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

It does. I carpool every other day too work, and I take the truck to the meeting spot on the days I don't drive, so it can sit outside, and the GS can stay in the garage :-)
Haha haha!!! You've got a great plan activated my man!! That'll be similar to what I'll do once I get one. Garage kept and occasionally driven..well..after a while. I can't lie to you..once I get it..I'll be looking for any and all reasons to drive it!
Old 10-20-14, 03:23 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LoveThatV8
Lol. Love the reliable Japanese V8, hence my username! I've always wanted the torque, just wish it had a manual trans, which would be super sexy if any... or paddle shifters like an M5. But oh wells, just happy I have a 430 for the meantime. Bump up to a 350awd or 430 if you can, don't think it's worth the 71k mileage, no cam, no nav, and the 3.0L motor.
Man...just my luck (kind of) found the color combo I want, gs430 white/light colored interior, 100k for $14.9 HOWEVER.... I wasn't aware the 430 had a timing belt AND it hasn't been done yet!
That's a no go for me...
Also, I started doing research on RWD in the snow..mixed comments but alot of pp just say get a good pair of winter riders and you'll be fine, which I'd be cool with, but man..that timing belt thing...just can't do it bro...
Old 10-20-14, 04:03 PM
darinmg
Driver

I've owned a lot of Toyota's, and I've never had a timing belt break. I have however had a timing chain break on my truck. Bent a valve, shattered all the plastic guides, etc. Book said a 12 hour job. $850 later...
I'm not afraid of the belt at all. I've done a few myself as well. Not a hard job, just a little time consuming. That is why it's expensive...time. Not parts. I plan to do mine myself, and the water pump at the same time. I bet you'll have to do your water pump at some point, and the cost of the job is nearly the same as the timing belt since similar access is required for both...less, but still not cheap. I'd use the belt thing as a negotiating point. Get them to take $1K+ off the price so you can get that done, and then not worry about it again for 100K miles.
Old 10-20-14, 06:44 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I've owned a lot of Toyota's, and I've never had a timing belt break. I have however had a timing chain break on my truck. Bent a valve, shattered all the plastic guides, etc. Book said a 12 hour job. $850 later...
I'm not afraid of the belt at all. I've done a few myself as well. Not a hard job, just a little time consuming. That is why it's expensive...time. Not parts. I plan to do mine myself, and the water pump at the same time. I bet you'll have to do your water pump at some point, and the cost of the job is nearly the same as the timing belt since similar access is required for both...less, but still not cheap. I'd use the belt thing as a negotiating point. Get them to take $1K+ off the price so you can get that done, and then not worry about it again for 100K miles.
Hmmmm....I like that idea...perhaps I'll see whatt they say tomorrow... thanks man! I'll update tomorrow.
Old 10-20-14, 07:15 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Darin..I dropped you a PM man...excuse the length, but your take would be appreciated!
Thanks a bunch!
Old 10-20-14, 07:52 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<<<@!1!@>>>

That was my first initial question prior before the purchase, i've had them take a snap shot from the mechanics phone & showed me proof that the print on timing belt is still freshly printed unlike faded marks on a used timing belt. I've had a share of my 2004 toyota tundra that lasted me past 200k & changed the timing belt 3 times before I had to give it up. It was still running like a tank, cel was on though due to faulty and old sensors that the truck was still running on.

Yes I purchased my GS430 3 months ago at 94k so I know in my head that it'll give me another 100k till i move up to a hopefully a GS-F in the making or RC-F, lol. Either way, I love that japanese V8. I drool just like when Homer Simpson when he drools for food.

Purchase one already, as you can see a lot of us on the forum has been kind to give you advice on how wonderful a GS is.

There's also a vid on youtube for those DIY as well.

Last edited by LoveThatV8; 10-20-14 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-20-14, 09:25 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LoveThatV8
<<<@!1!@>>>

That was my first initial question prior before the purchase, i've had them take a snap shot from the mechanics phone & showed me proof that the print on timing belt is still freshly printed unlike faded marks on a used timing belt. I've had a share of my 2004 toyota tundra that lasted me past 200k & changed the timing belt 3 times before I had to give it up. It was still running like a tank, cel was on though due to faulty and old sensors that the truck was still running on.

Yes I purchased my GS430 3 months ago at 94k so I know in my head that it'll give me another 100k till i move up to a hopefully a GS-F in the making or RC-F, lol. Either way, I love that japanese V8. I drool just like when Homer Simpson when he drools for food.

http://youtu.be/msQPHxTUgzI

Purchase one already, as you can see a lot of us on the forum has been kind to give you advice on how wonderful a GS is.

There's also a vid on youtube for those DIY as well.

http://youtu.be/QGfopdYxhxs

Man oh man...too funny..
I have a scenario though...
Check your PM and thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-14, 06:38 PM
Bhdien
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Wow man $17K ??? LOADED!?!?! Sweet deal!
I cant remember if I said it or not, but this situation is FORCING me to practice patience. Thanks for telling me that. It just reinforces the ideal that settling is foolish. Now in a perfect world...this is what i'd want:
08 GS350
1st choice: Ext - White/Int. - Light color ::: 2nd Choice Int.- Black
2nd choice: Ext - Silver Metallic/Int. - Black
68-84K miles
Nav, Back up cam,
Everything else i'd care for is pretty much standard and other items I don't too much care about... --->>> under 20k
That too much of a stretch??

Having the patience goes a long way when buying a car. Don't want to do an impulsive buy and regret it. I've done that a few times. Mine was a 1 owner and always services at Lexus. Sliver with grey interior. True the 08 has a bit more options, but mine has everything from parking sensors to back up cam. I would have love to have the aux. but I ended up buying the Vais Ivic and it gave me options from usb, hdmi, and android hook up. Currently I switched to iPhone so the android hdmi ports acts like an aux port with better sound quality. I actually just bought the android mini pc stick. Cx-919 I believe and I leave it plugged in. So I load everything from songs to movies onto the mini pc and run it that way with the touch screen working and all. Plenty of options out there.