GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New Recall 10/15/2014 - Potential Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 06:07 AM
sonnyhood
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lexus Australia recalls 10,000 cars in global recall of 1.75 million

So i was just thinking the other day i think i have something wrong in the fuel lines, to do with the noisy rattling on start up, and i know a few people have had similar issues.
When the car recharges the fuel line before start up it doesnt make the noise.

Then today i read theres a recall just what i was about to get dealer to check next service.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...-1227091711731

If i leave the car in my garage overnight and dont lock it, it loses fuel pressure, and rattles on cold starts. If i lock it, as soon as i walk to the car in morning, and unlock, i can hear it priming the fuel lines. About 5-10 secs.
Then it starts normal and no ugly sound

Last edited by sonnyhood; 10-15-14 at 06:08 AM. Reason: forgot last line
Old 10-15-14, 07:30 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Saw that. I hope it means I can have my somewhat constantly buzzing master cylinder replaced.
Old 10-15-14, 09:08 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This sounds like a recall we had done here a long time ago already. They described it as checking torque on the sensor though, not a gasket replacement unless something looked wrong with it. Definitely does not sound like the same thing though since one article I read says: "The work will take about three to four hours to complete and will be carried out free of charge." sounds rather extensive. I actually love recalls... free tank of gas and fresh parts for nothing. I swear half of my car is still brand new at no cost to me.

The rattling is a separate issue that is due to vvti cam gears which were redesigned. I found it happened more often when I had synthetic oil, since having regular oil put back in the car after piston rings job was done it hasn't made a squeak.

There are no recalls yet listed when I look up my VIN.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 10-15-14 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-15-14, 11:51 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Recall 10/15/2014 - Potential Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak

You can read about it here ... http://online.wsj.com/articles/toyot...les-1413365497 or here http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...015-story.html

Sounds very theoretical and precautionary, but potentially serious. Obviously good that they're being proactive. No remedy at this time, so sit tight.

Looked up my VIN, and my GS350 is affected. Here is what I get from the Lexus Driver site:

Safety Recalls:

Title
Safety Recall ELF (E2F) - Preliminary Notice - Various Models - Potential Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak

Status
Remedy Not Available

Description
In the subject vehicles, the sealing property of the gasket seated in between the pressure sensor and the fuel delivery pipe could become degraded. During vehicle operation, fuel could leak past the gasket. In the presence of an ignition source, this could increase the risk of a vehicle fire.

Remedy
Lexus is currently preparing the remedy for this condition. Once preparations are complete, Lexus will send an owner notification letter by first class mail to owners of vehicles covered by this Safety Recall

For answers to frequently asked questions, please click here.

Recall Date
October 15, 2014

Dealer Reference ID
E2F
NHTSA Recall ID
AWAITING#

Last edited by CAK 500; 10-15-14 at 12:35 PM. Reason: article link for non-wsj subscribers
Old 10-15-14, 12:49 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

free tank of gas and wash. i'm all in.
Old 10-15-14, 01:57 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

my 07 is affected by this
Old 10-16-14, 06:46 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAK 500
You can read about it here ... http://online.wsj.com/articles/toyot...les-1413365497 or here http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...015-story.html

Sounds very theoretical and precautionary, but potentially serious. Obviously good that they're being proactive. No remedy at this time, so sit tight.

Looked up my VIN, and my GS350 is affected. Here is what I get from the Lexus Driver site:

Safety Recalls:

Title
Safety Recall ELF (E2F) - Preliminary Notice - Various Models - Potential Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak

Status
Remedy Not Available

Description
In the subject vehicles, the sealing property of the gasket seated in between the pressure sensor and the fuel delivery pipe could become degraded. During vehicle operation, fuel could leak past the gasket. In the presence of an ignition source, this could increase the risk of a vehicle fire.

Remedy
Lexus is currently preparing the remedy for this condition. Once preparations are complete, Lexus will send an owner notification letter by first class mail to owners of vehicles covered by this Safety Recall

For answers to frequently asked questions, please click here.

Recall Date
October 15, 2014

Dealer Reference ID
E2F
NHTSA Recall ID
AWAITING#

Interesting I smell gas odor in my garage at times.
Old 10-16-14, 09:29 PM
BinaryJay

Am I crazy or didn't they already have a recall where they basically "checked torque" of the fuel pressure sensor? Kind of silly that they were already in that area and did nothing but put a wrench to it to make sure it was tight and now they're back on it again?

Oh well, I will be bringing my car to a dealership running on fumes as usual when I can figure out what's happening... a few days ago there was nothing on the lexus canada campaign check, and now it is having "technical difficulties" and won't tell me a thing.

I imagine that the fix this time will be to remove the sensor, replace the gasket and that's it. I haven't looked but I'm going to guess the fuel pressure sensor is probably located at the end of the fuel rail on top of the engine so not exactly major surgery.
Old 10-19-14, 06:41 PM
sonnyhood
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Am I crazy or didn't they already have a recall where they basically "checked torque" of the fuel pressure sensor? Kind of silly that they were already in that area and did nothing but put a wrench to it to make sure it was tight and now they're back on it again?

Oh well, I will be bringing my car to a dealership running on fumes as usual when I can figure out what's happening... a few days ago there was nothing on the lexus canada campaign check, and now it is having "technical difficulties" and won't tell me a thing.

I imagine that the fix this time will be to remove the sensor, replace the gasket and that's it. I haven't looked but I'm going to guess the fuel pressure sensor is probably located at the end of the fuel rail on top of the engine so not exactly major surgery.
I keep asking about recalls they say no you dont have any, dont worry.
I havent asked about this current one, cause i know 100% it hasn't been done.
Old 10-19-14, 06:48 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Pretty much all vehicles with direct injection from 2006-2010 are affected.
Old 10-19-14, 08:03 PM
BinaryJay

This is the one I was thinking about that they recalled for the fuel pressure sensor before:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_d...rticle_id=2915

2. What is the condition?

Due to insufficient tightening of the fuel pressure sensor connected to an engine fuel delivery pipe, there is a possibility that the pressure sensor could loosen over time. If loosening occurs, fuel could leak past a gasket used in the connection between the sensor and the pipe.

Clearly they failed the last recall.
Old 10-20-14, 08:18 AM
SmokeyLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for this!!! Now this is the kinda stuff that made me join CL! I just called my dealership, and its true! They are working on getting all the parts in for the recall and they told me to check back in a couple weeks to set an appointment! Thanks CL
Old 10-20-14, 08:40 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called my local dealer and they said the same thing, they are getting ready for the recall to please be patient and they will call me to set up an appointment.
Old 10-21-14, 07:09 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
This is the one I was thinking about that they recalled for the fuel pressure sensor before:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_d...rticle_id=2915

2. What is the condition?

Due to insufficient tightening of the fuel pressure sensor connected to an engine fuel delivery pipe, there is a possibility that the pressure sensor could loosen over time. If loosening occurs, fuel could leak past a gasket used in the connection between the sensor and the pipe.

Clearly they failed the last recall.
Agree with you 100% Jay ... the condition is the same (potential fuel leak from pressure sensor). Looks like the only difference is that in 2011 the cause was possible "insufficient tightening" of the sensor, while this time around the cause is a possible degradation of the gasket seal between the sensor and the fuel delivery pipe (due to possible presence of a contaminant on the suface of the gasket ... the contaminant being particles of the corrosion-resistant plating they they apply to the pipe).

Since the first remedy also involved replacing the gasket, seems like any particles would have been eliminated then. But ... the 2011 remedy was only applied if they detected a leak. So maybe they've just had a bunch more complaints about fuel odor since then and took a harder look at the problem. Who knows. Hopefully we won't get another remedy for the same problem a few more years down the road.
Old 10-21-14, 08:11 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by CAK 500
Agree with you 100% Jay ... the condition is the same (potential fuel leak from pressure sensor). Looks like the only difference is that in 2011 the cause was possible "insufficient tightening" of the sensor, while this time around the cause is a possible degradation of the gasket seal between the sensor and the fuel delivery pipe (due to possible presence of a contaminant on the suface of the gasket ... the contaminant being particles of the corrosion-resistant plating they they apply to the pipe).

Since the first remedy also involved replacing the gasket, seems like any particles would have been eliminated then. But ... the 2011 remedy was only applied if they detected a leak. So maybe they've just had a bunch more complaints about fuel odor since then and took a harder look at the problem. Who knows. Hopefully we won't get another remedy for the same problem a few more years down the road.
I think you mean hopefully we will get another free tank of gas a few years down the road. That's like a month of driving for my household for free.

Quick Reply: New Recall 10/15/2014 - Potential Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak