GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

?: High milage 07 GS350's...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-14, 07:52 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default ?: High milage 07 GS350's...

This is something I have really been struggling with for almost the past month: Wheather or not to consider buying an 07 350 with anywhere from high 70k to mid 90k miles for 15.8 - to mid 19k??
I honestly prefer the 08 body, though the changes are slight, its enough for me to have a preference, plus the aux port came in 08. The other issue is , due to my lack a patience (I think I will have to develope some), the car I want to get rid of, I'd have to roll over about $4500 into the Lex, so I need the price to be low as possible. I don't have much cash to play with, so overall, this may not work..
But I've seen some high mileage 07's for mid teens that make me want to try this out, but I'm weary...
Advice, feedback, opinions all welcome, and thanks.
Old 10-10-14, 08:26 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could always extend the loan out to up to 84 months to offset the car you want… if the interest is low like 2.99% it';ll be like $200 more in interest for the additional months… worth it to me instead of settling!
Old 10-10-14, 10:42 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by warandcar
you could always extend the loan out to up to 84 months to offset the car you want… if the interest is low like 2.99% it';ll be like $200 more in interest for the additional months… worth it to me instead of settling!
Absolutely understand about the settling part! And thanks! I sent you a PM regarding this also...
I should have actually mentioned that I'm curious about the dependability of an 07 GS with nearly 100k on the clock. I've done some, well, alot of reading and it always seems to come down to how well the vehicle has been maintained, then in comes the random finicky stuff...
Also, wasn't aware they took used loans out that far...
Old 10-10-14, 07:41 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Absolutely understand about the settling part! And thanks! I sent you a PM regarding this also...
I should have actually mentioned that I'm curious about the dependability of an 07 GS with nearly 100k on the clock. I've done some, well, alot of reading and it always seems to come down to how well the vehicle has been maintained, then in comes the random finicky stuff...
Also, wasn't aware they took used loans out that far...
It might be a little harder to find an 84 month term on a used car that old and higher mileage. You might be looking at 72 months as the longest. Also, you will be taking ownership of a car that can be very costly if problems arise so you really do need to factor that in especially if you don't have an extended warranty. Oh yeah...check the service records online a Lexus.com of any car that you are considering. It might save you from some headache.
Old 10-10-14, 09:05 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Gotcha350:Appreciate you posting man! I have been seeing a lot of comments about the random things that can go wrong with this car and at times its made me want to back away from this car all together! But its such a beautiful and timeless vehicle! To me the 3rd Gen blows the 4th gen away-exterior AND interior! Just an all around more visibly appealing vehicle! Im thinking with my general technical aptitude, this forum and a little bit of desire to save money and do things myself, that will help me out some in regards to saving some money. But over all, I'd never take out a loan that long for a car that is that old with so many miles! I love it but not that much! LOL! I may just have to end up paying down this truck before I can hop into an 08. I like the subtle changes in 08 to 11 but really like the fact that 08 they had aux ports. Is there any way with these cars-06/07 to play music from an Android without the Aux port by the way??
Old 10-23-14, 10:26 AM
Bhdien
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid $16k for my 07 gs350 with one owner. Car was in like new condition. I purchased last December at 110k miles and currently have 143k on it now. Runs great and have no regrets! As for the Aux thing, I would love to have it and the 08 body changes, but I bought the Vais Ivic for android integration and it has been great!
Old 10-23-14, 12:15 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

My wifes is right at 100k with no issues. I have changed the Transmission fluid and that is the only issue I would be concerned about on your search. Drive it and if it shifts good and you like it, then buy it. Have the tranny fluid changed soon after purchase.
Old 10-24-14, 08:37 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

hopefully you find one that has maintenance records
Old 10-27-14, 11:59 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

84 months for a car loan??? that is crazy, even worse for a car that old already.
you need to be shopping for something far less expensive
Old 10-27-14, 07:27 PM
warandcar
Lead Lap

camry XLE with some spoilers...
Old 10-27-14, 11:38 PM
LawDawg79
Driver School Candidate

Im in the same boat except im looking at 100-130k mile cars. The difference is i will be paying cash, i might finance say 2000 of the price just cuz it looks better on credit.

My dad is a lexus/toyota guy, he had an sc400 he drove to 284000 miles before he got rid of it. Im hoping my tech abilities to work on and fix most anything will help get a gs350 that far.

What are the major issues with these? Transmission and engine are to me the only things id hate to have major failure of.
Old 10-28-14, 03:08 AM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<<<@!1!@>>>

Lol, you just answered my questions on your first thread ever LawDawg... Seeing that you're looking for a 100k mark and being that your pops had a SC400... Then you should definitely pick up a GS430 or 460. The SC400 has that 4.0L V8 and as you've mentioned with your techie abilities... It should be the same repairing a 4.3 or 4.6L.

Back in 2004, parents bought me a 2004 Toyota Tundra 4.7L crewcab and enjoyed every single miles... Even posted a YouTube vid when I had intake and flowmasters on it with 10k hids and 3k hid fogs. Lasted me over 200k no issues other than changing the timing belt 3x, ran like a tank, drove it like a maniac (my immature days back then. Lol) So I'm techie myself with Toyota V8s. Being that I put 7k cash down payment on my current ride GS430... It'll last me till I can save up and afford for a Lexus GS-F.

Old 10-28-14, 02:20 PM
LawDawg79
Driver School Candidate

haha, ya whatever I get next is gonna be my car for a while, a longgggg while. My student loan bills are going to be coming due soon :-( by the time they are paid off I will probably be able to get a GS-F for 10,000 lol

Funny thing on my dads SC400, it was still running strong when he traded it in. But he had obviously had it for a long time, he bought it used with around 40,000 on it. But he had decided that the next time something went wrong with it, that was it. He was ready for something new so no matter what the problem he was not fixing it. Well one day he got in the car to go to the gym, he closed the door, and the drivers window just dropped into the door. He was like "THATS IT!!!" lol, so he traded it in on a Toyota Highlander which he is still driving today.

My dad had a Tundra along with the Highlander for a while. That truck was a beast.

Last edited by LawDawg79; 10-28-14 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-29-14, 07:54 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LoveThatV8
<<<@!1!@>>>

Lol, you just answered my questions on your first thread ever LawDawg... Seeing that you're looking for a 100k mark and being that your pops had a SC400... Then you should definitely pick up a GS430 or 460. The SC400 has that 4.0L V8 and as you've mentioned with your techie abilities... It should be the same repairing a 4.3 or 4.6L.

Back in 2004, parents bought me a 2004 Toyota Tundra 4.7L crewcab and enjoyed every single miles... Even posted a YouTube vid when I had intake and flowmasters on it with 10k hids and 3k hid fogs. Lasted me over 200k no issues other than changing the timing belt 3x, ran like a tank, drove it like a maniac (my immature days back then. Lol) So I'm techie myself with Toyota V8s. Being that I put 7k cash down payment on my current ride GS430... It'll last me till I can save up and afford for a Lexus GS-F.

http://youtu.be/KdUhQrrBm2U
Man...can I say that it is mostly because of LoveThatV8 that I now want a 430 instead of a 350!?!?! LOL
Then I messed around and test drove one...and im sold! However..i still have yet to drive a 350. I have driven a 300 and was severely unimpressed! I hear the power in the 350 is not shabby at all!!
And LawDawg..i see your in IL, im in NW IN...maybe one day when the stars align and I am a Lexus owner, you can school me on a thing or two, as I love to work on cars and more learn about them. Not to mention-the cost factor!
Old 11-03-14, 10:00 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

CRowe - Im not trying to clown you but I am just offering some perspective. I wouldn't roll over the $4500 from the car loan you have now. You said your funds are rather limited and you are going into a car that has 60k + miles on it where you will no doubt need some maintenance and be upside down on your note from the beginning.

Unless it truly doesn't make sense because the old car has a major problem (trans/engine, etc.), I would grind and pay that thing off. The type of loan you are going to get rolling over that much is going to leave you in the red unless you get a sick deal on price or little/no interest APR. Then you will have more money to play with, better interest rate on the new loan/newer model AND get exactly what you want = lower miles and less repair risk exposure. IF something came up, you would have more cash on hand to manage it. This is a stretch goal for you right now. Go light on xmas shopping with your end game in mind, and double back in the summer on this in a much less complicated scenario. Then its an easy move to get exactly the model you have in your gun sights! That note on 19k GS + 4500 rollover +interest +TTL = same as a newer GS+better APR for newer car + you haveing some moeny down + not paying interest on TTL etc becuase you dont have to roll it into the deal to make the sale work. Be patient my friend, you are 1 summer away.

Last edited by Asav; 11-03-14 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: ?: High milage 07 GS350's...