GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS300, new buyer looking for advice.

Old 10-08-14, 07:04 PM
L36
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300, new buyer looking for advice.

So I'm looking at this 06 Lexus GS300 AWD which I'm considering but need second opinion of actual owners of what to expect in terms of maintenance and common problems.

From what Ive found the most common issues are dash, moon roof rattles of kind but I'm more interested in mechanical issues. Ive seen some claim of oil consumption issues and wanted to ask about this to see if this is a big issue among Lexus GS300 owners? Ive also heard something about carbonation issues, how common is this? Are there any addition common problems that i haven't listed?

Also, when I'm checking out the car; should there any things I pay very close attention to that are specific for this gen and model?
Thanks.
Old 10-09-14, 01:58 AM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bought my 06 GS430 RWD two months ago and I love it!!! I've seen typical issues on AWD like wobbles and vibrations if you ever plan on lowering it. Do more search here on the forum, I can't vouch cause I don't own a AWD, but I read here on the forums from time to time to get some knowledge here and there. I'm sure other members here can chime in and give their input as well. Goodluck!
Old 10-10-14, 07:54 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you buy an 06 at this point make sure the service history shows that the piston rings/valve springs work has been done on it because I am pretty sure there are few 06's left out there that are still eligible for that job now.

Other than that particular thing which Lexus has supposedly finally 'resolved' with their very expensive (but free) repair/modification there isn't much else to worry about unless it's high mileage and the transmission has been (typically down there) completely ignored by previous owner(s).

AWD is great just don't mess around with the suspension.
Old 10-10-14, 08:26 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Binary, what would you consider high miles given the fact that its a Lexus?
I've been looking and have been seeing GS3's with (All AWD):
50K miles for 19.9
87k miles for 17.9
78k miles for 16.9
82k miles for 16.5
102k miles for 16.5 (lol)
51k miles for 18.9
72.5miles for 16.5
***GS430 85k miles for 17.3***

L36: How many miles does the GS you are looking at have on it and what are they asking if I may ask?
Old 10-10-14, 09:22 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by CRowe14
50K miles for 19.9
87k miles for 17.9
78k miles for 16.9
82k miles for 16.5
51k miles for 18.9
72.5miles for 16.5

L36: How many miles does the GS you are looking at have on it and what are they asking if I may ask?
If I recall most people that complained about transmission failures were after 100K miles probably with no love given to the transmission at all in that time so I would probably go lower than that and change the fluid a few times right out of the gate.

As for my car it has just about 70K miles on it and will probably never see 100K+ ever considering we only need to drive like 1.5-2K miles per year.
Old 10-10-14, 09:29 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
If I recall most people that complained about transmission failures were after 100K miles probably with no love given to the transmission at all in that time so I would probably go lower than that and change the fluid a few times right out of the gate.

As for my car it has just about 70K miles on it and will probably never see 100K+ ever considering we only need to drive like 1.5-2K miles per year.
WOW! Either public trans is great up there or you work from home and everything is within walking distance! So lucky for you!
Also, with the prices is placed out n the last post...do any of those sound like good deals? Or is it more but what one wants to spend and making sure due diligence has been done regarding maint?
Old 10-10-14, 09:32 PM
BinaryJay

WOW! Either public trans is great up there or you work from home and everything is within walking distance! So lucky for you!
Also, with the prices is placed out n the last post...do any of those sound like good deals? Or is it more but what one wants to spend and making sure due diligence has been done regarding maint?
Public Transit is pretty good, and we live within walking distance of everything including the subway (near the city core), and I work from home (and my wife works about a 10 minute drive on local roads away, and half the time just takes the subway to work anyway). Main uses for the car include getting groceries, trips to the hardware store, taking kids to doctors appointments, and visiting friends that live out in the middle of bloody nowhere.

Needless to say I will never buy a new car. I bought the car with a few years left on the power train warranty but pretty close to the limit based on mileage, and still ran out of warranty based on time before it ran out based on mileage.

As for prices I have no clue, you guys down there seem to get everything in the world for tons less money than I do but I imagine prices on things like cars vary wildly even from state to state.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 10-10-14 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-10-14, 09:40 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Public Transit is pretty good, and we live within walking distance of everything including the subway (near the city core), and I work from home (and my wife works about a 10 minute drive on local roads away, and half the time just takes the subway to work anyway). Main uses for the car include getting groceries, trips to the hardware store, taking kids to doctors appointments, and visiting friends that live out in the middle of bloody nowhere.
LOL! Figures it would be a culmination of everything I said! It really doesn't get any more convenient than that! Very fortunate! You seem to be very knowledgeable about these cars and seem to take very good care of yours. I was very reluctant to even look at the 06 GS, until I began reading about what you had to say about yours. But you drive so minimally though. I would be between 10-11k/yr, but probably less as it would be my daily driver. Im just a bit paranoid bc its hard to find an 06 with 50-65K on the clock. mid/high 80's to mid to high 90's scare me!
Old 10-10-14, 09:53 PM
BinaryJay

LOL! Figures it would be a culmination of everything I said! It really doesn't get any more convenient than that! Very fortunate! You seem to be very knowledgeable about these cars and seem to take very good care of yours. I was very reluctant to even look at the 06 GS, until I began reading about what you had to say about yours. But you drive so minimally though. I would be between 10-11k/yr, but probably less as it would be my daily driver. Im just a bit paranoid bc its hard to find an 06 with 50-65K on the clock. mid/high 80's to mid to high 90's scare me!
Let me tell you, that good fortune has a price... thankfully we got in the market quite a while ago, and specifically in the detached market a few years ago so we are ahead of the game but still it's getting a little crazy. Still it's a super city to live in, I'm not complaining.

That has helped push detached house prices up, yet again, by 11.5 per cent in the city and 8 per cent in the suburbs. That brought the average sale price for a detached to $951,792 in Toronto...

http://www.thestar.com/business/real...this_year.html

Last edited by BinaryJay; 10-10-14 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-10-14, 10:21 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Let me tell you, that good fortune has a price... thankfully we got in the market quite a while ago, and specifically in the detached market a few years ago so we are ahead of the game but still it's getting a little crazy. Still it's a super city to live in, I'm not complaining.
YIKES!!!!!!!
Wow! You know I have always heard that Toronto is a very nice, beautiful and CLEAN city, just never been. I grew up in NY where as I'm sure you know public transit is King! Have alot of family in Buffalo also and have seen the Falls probably too many times! Plan to get to Toronto one day though.
Strange, I was on my pc earlier and didn't see the full comment you left until I got on my phone, regarding the prices of the cars. And your correct about the state to state statement for the most part. Of course there will always be that simply ridiculous deal that someone gets simply due to timing! There is a variance, but not to vast. I have an older Denali that I wish to trade in but am upside down on and once I get out of it, I'd like the Lexus and it would definitely be tjeast car I'd buy for quite*a while, simply bc I like it so much. But I don't have the cash to get out of the truck. So it's either find an 06, low price with high 70's miles and try to roll the neg equity, or Newbridge truck and pay it down for another year, year and a half and see where I'm at then. But the truck will only depreciate as would anything else.
Old 10-13-14, 07:36 AM
L36
Driver School Candidate

If you buy an 06 at this point make sure the service history shows that the piston rings/valve springs work has been done on it because I am pretty sure there are few 06's left out there that are still eligible for that job now.

Other than that particular thing which Lexus has supposedly finally 'resolved' with their very expensive (but free) repair/modification there isn't much else to worry about unless it's high mileage and the transmission has been (typically down there) completely ignored by previous owner(s).

AWD is great just don't mess around with the suspension.
Thanks. I just requested the VIN from the seller and I'll check with a Lexus dealer to see if any CSPs apply to this GS300.

50K miles for 19.9
87k miles for 17.9
78k miles for 16.9
82k miles for 16.5
51k miles for 18.9
72.5miles for 16.5

According to the seller its at 100K miles and he wants 12K for it.
Old 10-14-14, 03:25 PM
L36
Driver School Candidate

So i looked at this GS, its nice but the dealer or owner has no idea if the piston rings/valve seals job has been performed. The owner claims that the car has no oil consumption issues. I also called the dealer and they said all recalls are done for this vehicle as of current date.

Question to you 06 AWD owners, is your exhaust covered in carbon and your car burns no oil?
Old 10-14-14, 09:55 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by L36
So i looked at this GS, its nice but the dealer or owner has no idea if the piston rings/valve seals job has been performed. The owner claims that the car has no oil consumption issues. I also called the dealer and they said all recalls are done for this vehicle as of current date.

Question to you 06 AWD owners, is your exhaust covered in carbon and your car burns no oil?
It's not a recall but if the work was done there will be records of it at Lexus. It's not the kind of job anybody would forget having done to the car considering that they would have been without the car for almost a week while it was getting retrofitted.
Old 10-15-14, 07:22 PM
L36
Driver School Candidate

It's not a recall but if the work was done there will be records of it at Lexus. It's not the kind of job anybody would forget having done to the car considering that they would have been without the car for almost a week while it was getting retrofitted.
Well there aren't any records according to the dealer and the owner claims it burns no oil. Idle is also solid and the car does not seem to produce any symptoms that are listed in the TSB..
Old 10-15-14, 08:40 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by L36
Well there aren't any records according to the dealer and the owner claims it burns no oil. Idle is also solid and the car does not seem to produce any symptoms that are listed in the TSB..
I just test drove an 06 today. Did a hell of a lot of digging for this car (Carfax, MyLexus, spoke to the maint dept at the dealership it was purchased at as well as Lexus cust service).
The car is in immaculate condition. has 71K on the clock, and there is no record of the retrofit being done. But Lexus customer service said that in the event the vehicle begin to exhibit symptoms, take it to a dealer, let them analyze it, the dealer reports it to Lexus corporate and its handled from there. Pretty vague I know but it what I was told.
The car I test drove today was very quiet, not speedster acceleration, but pretty good, idled fine under a cold start and drove nice.
Whats funny is that I currently drive an 06 Denali and the comfort and ride in that suv- I feel is nicer. I drove it to the dealer, drove the Lex then back into my truck. Definitely a different feel. Love the Lex but on my way home, I pondered about what I really want to do. Its not that I wasn't satisfied with the Lexus, but the larger space, smoother ride and just over all feel of my truck had me feeling really comfortable. I don't know... But good luck! They are beautiful, timeless cars!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GS300, new buyer looking for advice.