GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Loud Ticking Noise from the Left side

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-14, 01:13 AM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Ticking Noise from the Left side

Hey CL i am running into issues with my 3GS recently I’m hearing loud ticking noise coming from the left side on the front of my car and from what most of people have told me is it might be my Axle or my wheel bearing so was wondering what the part number was for both of them and what is the best place to order these two parts from.

Thank you,
1VIPGS
Old 09-23-14, 06:09 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Most people on here buy stuff from either Rock Auto, ebay or Sewell Lexus.

Is your car AWD or RWD? You're right could be bearing or axle. Does it crunch or pop when you turn in a parking lot at low speed? Does the sound increase at increasing speed?
Are you able to get under your car and check the boot on the axle? Are you mechanical?

You can jack your vehicle on drivers side then grab tire/wheel at 12 oclock and 6 oclock and rock it. There should be minimal movement with a good bearing.

If it is bearing, you can buy bearing and press new one in or buy whole hub (easier but more $)
Old 09-23-14, 09:15 PM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alchemist
Most people on here buy stuff from either Rock Auto, ebay or Sewell Lexus.

Is your car AWD or RWD? You're right could be bearing or axle. Does it crunch or pop when you turn in a parking lot at low speed? Does the sound increase at increasing speed?
Are you able to get under your car and check the boot on the axle? Are you mechanical?

You can jack your vehicle on drivers side then grab tire/wheel at 12 oclock and 6 oclock and rock it. There should be minimal movement with a good bearing.

If it is bearing, you can buy bearing and press new one in or buy whole hub (easier but more $)
Thank you for the help with the issue and my car is AWD and i have heard that there are more issues when you lower the car so i guess I’m dealing with this issue I’m running UAS Bags on BC Racing struts and i drive at stock height because i hate the Wobble and the vibration when I’m lowered but now the Vibration issue is there when i drive at stock height so I’m guessing i gotta get my Axle changed and also take a look at the Wheel bearing haha and ever since i got this car something or the other is going wrong which is kinda frustrating me… anyway thank you again.
Old 09-23-14, 09:42 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If the ticking is happening when you are moving and changes in frequency depending on your speed and/or when you are turning the wheel then wheel bearing. It happened to my car on one side but had it replaced under warranty. It was like a metallic ping ping ping in my case.

A previous car I owned had wheel bearings going on it and it sounded more like a growl...
Old 09-24-14, 03:26 PM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
If the ticking is happening when you are moving and changes in frequency depending on your speed and/or when you are turning the wheel then wheel bearing. It happened to my car on one side but had it replaced under warranty. It was like a metallic ping ping ping in my case.

A previous car I owned had wheel bearings going on it and it sounded more like a growl...
In my case its like a metal knocking but it comes and it goes and its the same when i turn or moving forward and at certain speeds i know that the car vibrates a lot which is because i know when you lower an AWD and the lower you go the more vibration but here I’m on bags and drive at stock height and still vibrates like I’m lowered or something ha. So lets see..

Thank you for your input on it!!!
Old 09-24-14, 09:17 PM
doctordank
Rookie

Any chance you're rubbing the calipers? I just got my K3 Projekt wheels put on today and noticed it's rubbing the caliper on turns or hard braking. I'm guessing a small spacer is needed.
Old 09-25-14, 10:42 AM
goodbadboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had same issue before couple of months & It ended up being Left axle.You can take your car to sears or any other independent mechanic to diagnose it.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S300-2006.html

I ended up getting my axle rebuilt.
Old 09-25-14, 10:45 AM
goodbadboy
Driver School Candidate

I had same issue before couple of months & It ended up being Left axle.You can take your car to sears or any other independent mechanic to diagnose it.

Old 09-25-14, 12:09 PM
lexboy365
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by goodbadboy

I need to rebuild my front left axle for my 08 GS 350, although my car is not making any sound just yet. Since your in NJ, if I may ask, where did you get your work performed? Lexus is charging me around $1800, although I'm still looking for alternatives before I take the plunge with them.
Old 09-25-14, 12:42 PM
goodbadboy
Driver School Candidate

I got my axle rebuilt at JIN Auto(Ph:800-548-0005).I guess they charged me around 200$.They told the parts inside Lexus axles are costly
Old 09-25-14, 01:13 PM
lexboy365
Driver School Candidate

I got my axle rebuilt at JIN Auto(Ph:800-548-0005).I guess they charged me around 200$.They told the parts inside Lexus axles are costly
Ok wow, I'm def going to check them out.
Old 09-28-14, 10:15 PM
1SLOGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by doctordank
Any chance you're rubbing the calipers? I just got my K3 Projekt wheels put on today and noticed it's rubbing the caliper on turns or hard braking. I'm guessing a small spacer is needed.
I was also thinking of that and now i have got Adapters for the front so lets see but mostly I’m thinking its my axel cause I’m leaking Grease from there too so lets see if its the small issues and solve it with that.

Thats what I’m thinking too cause the car seems to make a loud ticking noise and at the same time there is vibration that takes place which is weird.

Originally Posted by lexboy365
I need to rebuild my front left axle for my 08 GS 350, although my car is not making any sound just yet. Since your in NJ, if I may ask, where did you get your work performed? Lexus is charging me around $1800, although I'm still looking for alternatives before I take the plunge with them.
The noise is on and off it comes and goes so yeah idk but iill think about getting my axel rebuilt.

Thank you for the info on the rebuild so i will look into it too.
Old 10-22-14, 02:01 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Just had mine done today while i was visiting the family. $195 att Jin's in Roselle, NJ. They do wheel repair and are an automotive machine shop. OEM axle rebuild is always better than the mystery part you will get at some auto parts house. $100 extra if you want them to put it on the car and you dont feel like bring the core to them yourself. They keep your core obviously.