GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

LF Axle leak, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-14, 01:56 PM
lexboy365
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LF Axle leak, need advice

Hi guys, I bought my 2008 GS 350 in March of this year, got it checked by Lexus of Edison at 70,606 miles (I purchased it at 69,850 miles) and everything was fine. So I went in for my 75,000 mile service and now they're saying that my LF axle is leaking grease from the boot and to replace it with a brand new axle it will cost $1773. Here's a picture from directly underneath the drivers side:

I looked online and saw that I could get a cv axle for less than $100 marked down from $800 from PartsGeek and http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-New-CV-Axle-Front-Left-Fits-AWD-GS350-IS250-IS350-With-Warranty-Free-Shipping-/131268179434?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3AGS350&hash=item1e903175ea&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp (link to parts included in the names of the sites). Is that the only part needed to do that sort of repair? If you notice from the picture, besides the leak a portion of the black cover is hanging down, is that part of the axle? Lexus never told me about that, but I assume it would be included as part of the repair. Where can I get that cover/part if I go the independent part route?

I also read that this type of problems with cars is usually covered by the power train warranty, mine is 5,000 miles over though. However, I read somewhere here that the GS350 had a recall, and they extended the warranty to 100k. My car was made in Oct 08 according the the vin, so do I qualify? I dont think the recall was performed on my car as it didnt show up on the Carfax it was performed. Should I go and do it and then see if they can cover the LF axle leak under the powertrain warranty?

So here are my options:

1. If the CV axle drivers side is the part that's required, get the part online from eBay or partsgeek for less than a $100 and get a local shop to do repairs - are there any great reputable repair shops in the North/Central New Jersey/NY areas that you guys are aware of?

2. Talk to Lexus about goodwill (could they have missed it first time I was there?). If not, do recall and see if they'll cover it under the extended 100K warranty. I don't think they'll do it but it's worth the shot right?

3. Bite the bullet and pay the $1800 to get it replaced with new axle from Lexus.

I'm open to any advice that'll ensure the long term health of my car. Thanks for reading, any help will be appreciated!

LF axle leak directly under Drivers side
Old 09-20-14, 03:09 PM
3rmac805
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your favorite awd?
Old 09-20-14, 04:00 PM
lexboy365
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3rmac805
Is your favorite awd?
Yes thanks for your response, I forgot to mention it's AWD.
Old 09-20-14, 04:10 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would just see if you can't replace the torn boot. If you are not mechanically inclined, an independent can do it pretty cheap. I've never done one on a Lexus, but I've replaced 4 torn boots on my old 4runner. Pretty easy job.
Old 09-20-14, 06:20 PM
lexboy365
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by burny
I would just see if you can't replace the torn boot. If you are not mechanically inclined, an independent can do it pretty cheap. I've never done one on a Lexus, but I've replaced 4 torn boots on my old 4runner. Pretty easy job.
Thanks, I am definitely not mechanically inclined lol, but I will search for a good mechanic in my area for their opinion. BTW, my car doesn't make any sound while turning. I read that if the car is makin any sort of clicking sound or something while its turning then its time to replace the entire axle asap. Since mine isn't making any noise, does that mean I can get away by just replacing the boot and adding grease?
Old 09-20-14, 06:37 PM
warandcar
Lead Lap

generally speaking you can just replace the boot because you still have grease in them…
get a second opinion in any case lexboy=)
Old 09-20-14, 09:32 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

For the cost to remove the boot and regrease its cheaper to buy a replacement cv axle and just swap it out at any mechanic. Simple job doesnt take much time, but I would suggest you get a wheel alignment afterwards.
Old 09-21-14, 09:43 AM
lexboy365
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by warandcar
generally speaking you can just replace the boot because you still have grease in them…
get a second opinion in any case lexboy=)
Thanks!

Originally Posted by ibidu1
For the cost to remove the boot and regrease its cheaper to buy a replacement cv axle and just swap it out at any mechanic. Simple job doesnt take much time, but I would suggest you get a wheel alignment afterwards.
I just had a wheel alignment done by Lexus . So just to confirm, the boot is a part that's on the CV axle? I'm really an idiot when it comes to cars . I really hope the Parts Geeks axle is of good quality.
Old 09-21-14, 09:52 AM
3rmac805
Driver

Verify the the boot is leaking (torn). Check the side they stated. Also, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT GET an aftermarket axle, they will not have the same build design as your current one. Only if you lived in CA, I do auto repair and take them to get rebooted and cleaned. If you got an eBay account look for a OEM axle from a wrecked gs.
Old 09-21-14, 11:27 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

See if the Toyota dealership can do it .
Old 09-21-14, 02:44 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Verify the the boot is leaking (torn). Check the side they stated. Also, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT GET an aftermarket axle, they will not have the same build design as your current one. Only if you lived in CA, I do auto repair and take them to get rebooted and cleaned. If you got an eBay account look for a OEM axle from a wrecked gs.
There cheap, I wouldnt be surprised if he gets it mounted and total cost is $150-200 bucks. That a gamble I would take.
Old 09-21-14, 10:21 PM
lexboy365
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
There cheap, I wouldnt be surprised if he gets it mounted and total cost is $150-200 bucks. That a gamble I would take.
Thanks guys, really good advice from both of you even though you guys are saying the opposite things lol. I really don't want to risk getting an aftermarket part now, I guess I'll just pay for the security of getting an OEM one. But first I will see if I can get it rebooted and greased from a good mechanic in my area. Would replacing just the boot and not the entire axle be essentially a band aid for the problem? Let's say for instance I get it done, am I at risk in the next 6-12 months of the replaced boot being torn again or the axle leaking/breaking? Thanks again for all your help!
Old 09-21-14, 10:23 PM
lexboy365
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by msgs350
See if the Toyota dealership can do it .
Thanks, I will see. My previous car was a Toyota so I have a good report with the service manager at my local Toyota dealership - maybe they can offer the same service and part for a lower price?
Old 09-22-14, 04:33 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

not a band aid at all. If you caught the torn boot early and there is no clicking , clacking sound then this is a permanent fix until boot tears again
Old 09-22-14, 06:27 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

another vote for replacing boot.

You're good unless it is popping/cracking when you turn. I had a camry that had a torn boot and bad axle and I left it. Popped and cracked bad every time I turned. Took two years to finally break. But when it did I had to get it towed.

Crazy thing is when I broke I literally just finished a 6 hour road trip and it broke at the interstate exit 5 miles from home. I got lucky.

Quick Reply: LF Axle leak, need advice