GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

trans drain and fill completed

Old 09-16-14, 10:55 PM
kenv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trans drain and fill completed

2008 GS 350: 90k service completed at Toyota dealer in San Diego. I supplied all parts, etc., requested drain and fill of transmission and was VERY IMPRESSED with service. They drained/filled 10 qts. of world trans. fluid. It took them over 2+ hours. I watched portion and saw the procedure of using large fans to reduce temp of transmission after running car to mix fluid. Result: old fluid not tested, but very black and per tech., he stated it was time to have this done. I just returned from a 1k road trip from San Diego to San Francisco. GS 350 ran fantastic. Cost was $150. I also had the coolant drained and filled. I am very happy this is finally done. I have given up going to Lexus. Per the Toyota dealer they can take care of all my extended warranty work (6 yrs., 125k, w/toyota). Total cost of 90k service with Trans. service was $425k Plus parts I purchased at Sewell. Lexus was quoting $900 and would not use my parts or fluids.
Old 09-17-14, 06:11 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

nice job. Did you notice a difference afterwards? Smoother shifting? I did. Lok how black my fluid was...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iy-w-pics.html
Old 09-17-14, 07:27 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

nice, wish I could get that done around here. When I did mine in the garage, I think I had over a $100 in fluids and gaskets. $150 is a no brainer.
Old 09-17-14, 10:50 AM
wadeski
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will have mine changed this friday by toyota for 180. i have 90 k miles.
Old 09-17-14, 11:52 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Does Toyota have a dedicated BG machine for WS fluid? My local Lexus joint only has a BG for T-IV and will not do the WS due to possible contamination of T-IV fluid.
Old 09-17-14, 01:57 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by burny
Does Toyota have a dedicated BG machine for WS fluid? My local Lexus joint only has a BG for T-IV and will not do the WS due to possible contamination of T-IV fluid.
Good question...I doubt it. Most shops I've been to ave only one of those fro tranny fluid and sometimes another for coolant.
Old 09-17-14, 01:59 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
I had the same problem here when I had my 60k service. The Lexus would only do a drain and refill because they don't have a dedicated machine for WS and didn't want to contaminate the fluid. And the Toyota dealer (owned by the same person) said I would have to go back to Lexus for that. So I just had a drain and fill...

On another note....does anyone know if these transmissions have a serviceable transmission filter that can be replaced without complete tear down?
Old 09-17-14, 02:08 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
I had the same problem here when I had my 60k service. The Lexus would only do a drain and refill because they don't have a dedicated machine for WS and didn't want to contaminate the fluid. And the Toyota dealer (owned by the same person) said I would have to go back to Lexus for that. So I just had a drain and fill...

On another note....does anyone know if these transmissions have a serviceable transmission filter that can be replaced without complete tear down?
I am pretty sure there is a filter screen and I looked into doing when I did my fluid but you do have to drop the pan like on most cars.
Old 09-17-14, 02:09 PM
alchemist
Instructor

I asked same question here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ter-gs350.html
Old 09-17-14, 04:31 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alchemist
That's the most important thing to me. Might have that done around 75k. Since I don't really drive the car anymore. The reason being the fluid will definitely outlast the filter screen and when it starts to clog and eventually it will, the bypass valve will allow unfiltered fluid to circulate. And I believe this is what is causing solenoids to stick along with other issues people are experiencing.

Most transmission failures aren't due to fluid breaking down, its due to poor circulation and the bypass allowing unfiltered oil to circulate.
Old 09-18-14, 09:07 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

the toyota dealer here said they can flush it and will use the BG machine. but they don't have a dedicated WS machine for that.
my question is does it hurt the car if it gets mixed with their regular transmission fluid?
Old 09-18-14, 09:14 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by warandcar
the toyota dealer here said they can flush it and will use the BG machine. but they don't have a dedicated WS machine for that.
my question is does it hurt the car if it gets mixed with their regular transmission fluid?
I dont think a little bit of it will hurt. The tranny/lines/pan hold roughly 12 qts so if you have ~1 qt of something else I dont think it will matter.
Old 09-18-14, 09:15 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
That's the most important thing to me. Might have that done around 75k. Since I don't really drive the car anymore. The reason being the fluid will definitely outlast the filter screen and when it starts to clog and eventually it will, the bypass valve will allow unfiltered fluid to circulate. And I believe this is what is causing solenoids to stick along with other issues people are experiencing.

Most transmission failures aren't due to fluid breaking down, its due to poor circulation and the bypass allowing unfiltered oil to circulate.

You should pull your pan and see if a filter is there

:crosses fingers:
Old 09-18-14, 09:17 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

great alchemist. thanks for the reply… toyota said they can drain and fill for $189 and BG flush for $249. all OEM toyota fluid included… I've read many post but still don't know if i should do the drain and fill or flush. but am still wanting to do the service... i have 40,000 miles on the car with no issues=)
Old 09-18-14, 11:16 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by warandcar
great alchemist. thanks for the reply… toyota said they can drain and fill for $189 and BG flush for $249. all OEM toyota fluid included… I've read many post but still don't know if i should do the drain and fill or flush. but am still wanting to do the service... i have 40,000 miles on the car with no issues=)
Considering the drain and fill only gets out 2.5 qts and the flush does 12qts through the entire system....AND considering your car only has 40k miles and theoretically nothing to dislodge that can harm things....do the flush.

And mind you, you want to do procedures BEFORE you have issues not after. Preventing issues is the point.

I think at 40k miles you are safe....I could safely say you can wait until 60k miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trans drain and fill completed