GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Run Flats Mercifully Dying

Old 09-04-14, 04:46 PM
wrodrigues
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run Flats Mercifully Dying

The Dunlop Runflat OE tires on my 2010 GS 350 AWD have finally died. The local dealer has recommended Vogue Signatures as replacement. I have never heard of them and Tire Rack doesn't even carry them. Does anyone know anything about them? I was tentatively considering Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus. My primary concern is comfort and quietness. Any opinions will be appreciated.
Old 09-04-14, 06:15 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 3's are supposed to be great. Replacing my garbage run flats with those in a few months.
Old 09-05-14, 12:18 PM
2008gs460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wrodrigues
The Dunlop Runflat OE tires on my 2010 GS 350 AWD have finally died. The local dealer has recommended Vogue Signatures as replacement. I have never heard of them and Tire Rack doesn't even carry them. Does anyone know anything about them? I was tentatively considering Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus. My primary concern is comfort and quietness. Any opinions will be appreciated.
I had runflats on my GS460. The car didn't come with a spare. After picking up nail after nail and needing to replace two of them per year at 350+/each because the treadwear is terrible, I found a junkyard spare and went to normal Mich pilot sports.

I feel it was the best upgrade that I've ever made to any car I've owned. The ride quality, the handling, the noise level, unbelievable difference.

Get rid of the runflats! Trust me!
Old 09-06-14, 10:40 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Vogue is their own brand and I am surprised that the dealer recommended them. You are correct in that we do not carry that line.

Know that the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus is not a run-flat and neither is the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 mentioned.

The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season does have a run flat model available and that can be found by clicking here.

A new run flat tire to the market that I am a big fan of after testing and consumer feed back, is the Bridgestone Driveguard. If comfort and quietness are your main goals from your new tire, this is the tire for you. It also has a very generous mileage warranty and Bridgestone is so confident in the tire that they offer a 30 day 'buy and try' guarantee. That tire can be found by clicking here. I've never been a fan of run flat tires for ride quality and noise until I drove on this tire a few months ago.
Old 09-06-14, 09:51 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums for a few years now and have no complaints, I don't use them in the winter but I'm sure you don't care about that. Treadwear seems legendary on these things. Not run flat, but.... you're not going to get many better suggestions than above.
Old 09-08-14, 12:30 PM
3rmac805
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do we have to ride run flats?
Old 09-08-14, 12:46 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

No, and many people will switch from a run flat to a conventional, non run flat tire for a better ride quality and a longer tread life. As I said, I have never been a fan of the ride quality and treadwear life of a run flat tire until I drove on the Bridgestone Driveguard.

Just understand that some installers will not put a non run flat tire on a vehicle that came with a run flat tire from the factory and also know that you are running without a spare tire.

Many people who switch from run flats to non run flat tires will carry something like the Conti Comfort Kit which allows you to be mobile, if you were to get a puncture. -this essentially does the same thing that a run flat tire would do.
Old 09-15-14, 06:55 AM
3rmac805
Driver

Originally Posted by AJ@TireRack.com
No, and many people will switch from a run flat to a conventional, non run flat tire for a better ride quality and a longer tread life. As I said, I have never been a fan of the ride quality and treadwear life of a run flat tire until I drove on the Bridgestone Driveguard.

Just understand that some installers will not put a non run flat tire on a vehicle that came with a run flat tire from the factory and also know that you are running without a spare tire.

Many people who switch from run flats to non run flat tires will carry something like the Conti Comfort Kit which allows you to be mobile, if you were to get a puncture. -this essentially does the same thing that a run flat tire would do.

Thanks for the info Boss!
Old 09-16-14, 10:56 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I have had Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums for a few years now and have no complaints, I don't use them in the winter but I'm sure you don't care about that. Treadwear seems legendary on these things. Not run flat, but.... you're not going to get many better suggestions than above.
In July while driving from AZ to San Diego on I-8, I was halfway between Yuma and El Centro. It was 104 degrees. One of my Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums had an inside separation which was manifested by the sensation of driving over ever increasing speed bumps. I immediately pulled over and upon inspection, felt a grapefruit sized bulge on the inside rear driver side tire. I proceeded to change the tire after pulling well into the desert. A call to Discount Tire resulted in me getting four new Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 3's the following day in San Diego (my fully inflated spare tire deserves a medal!).
The Kumho's had been installed by Discount in AZ three years prior, and had 25k miles on them. They had been rotated and balanced by Discount every 5k miles. I received full credit for the defective tire, and pro-rated allowances on the other three.
Needless to say, never again with Kumhos!
Old 09-16-14, 12:42 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bavaria
In July while driving from AZ to San Diego on I-8, I was halfway between Yuma and El Centro. It was 104 degrees. One of my Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums had an inside separation which was manifested by the sensation of driving over ever increasing speed bumps. I immediately pulled over and upon inspection, felt a grapefruit sized bulge on the inside rear driver side tire. I proceeded to change the tire after pulling well into the desert. A call to Discount Tire resulted in me getting four new Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 3's the following day in San Diego (my fully inflated spare tire deserves a medal!).
The Kumho's had been installed by Discount in AZ three years prior, and had 25k miles on them. They had been rotated and balanced by Discount every 5k miles. I received full credit for the defective tire, and pro-rated allowances on the other three.
Needless to say, never again with Kumhos!
I had a bulge on my SC's Kumho's years back. Definitely not a fan.
Old 01-31-15, 07:37 PM
Hale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJ@TireRack.com

I just had a set of Bridgestone DriveGuard run flat tires installed today on my 07 GS450h. A great improvement over the choppy Pirelli P-Zero Nero run flats that I replaced. Thank you AJ for the reference.
Old 02-02-15, 07:12 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

You are welcome.
Old 02-02-15, 12:43 PM
illini19
Rookie

My two cents, I hated the run-flats on my 2008 GS350 AWD. I couldn't wait to get them off and they went off pretty quick. Based on everyone loving them here, I went with the Continental ContiExtremeContact DWS and LOVED them. Got 60k off the first set and just replaced them last July with another set. Still love them. I had a hard time finding becasue I thought Continental changed them but I could be wrong. So much quieter and smoother.
Old 02-02-15, 01:25 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Got the Michelin Pilot A/S 3's and a proper alignment done on my 460, and I couldn't be happier. I had a little rattle in my door when my runflats were on, but now I don't hear them at all... The ride is definitely softer and more quiet now.