Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Looking at buying a 3rd generation GS, input/advice appreciated

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-14, 05:30 AM   #1
Lukas99GS
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 345
Default Looking at buying a 3rd generation GS, input/advice appreciated

Hey everyone, I'm currently saving my money and looking at replacing my 99 GS300, I love the 3rd gen design, (wish I could go 4th gen but out of my price range) anyway I'd like input from people on which engine was best? Was the 06 gs300 an unreliable engine as they only used it that one year? I've also heard many complaints about rattles, is this an issue on all years or just the first years, also is there a fix to it, I know there was some recall on the 350 engine, which year did they fix that? Anything to look out for specifically when looking for these cars (common problem areas etc) my old 99 GS has been virtually bulletproof with nothing needing fixing and over 200k now, I would like my next car to be just as reliable and welcome your Guys experiences with the 3rd gen or whether you'd go IS or LS in hindsight, thank you
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Lukas99GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 06:53 AM   #2
alchemist
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
alchemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 966
Default

If I did it again I would go with 2009/2010 GS350. I specifically avoided the 2006s and am a believer in not purchasing the first year of a new model and to wait until the kinks are sorted out. With that said, my 2007 has 111k miles and has been trouble free. I did have the recall done and that was the only major surgery.
__________________


2007 GS350
2006 RX330
alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 07:16 AM   #3
tmf2004
10 years on Clublexus
Trader Score: (12)
 
tmf2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: FL (PSL)
Posts: 20,260
anthonymichael34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist View Post
If I did it again I would go with 2009/2010 GS350. I specifically avoided the 2006s and am a believer in not purchasing the first year of a new model and to wait until the kinks are sorted out. With that said, my 2007 has 111k miles and has been trouble free. I did have the recall done and that was the only major surgery.
I agree with your post but 2007 was the first year of the GS350. So technically you bought the first year of the new V6 model...
__________________

2011 Vossen Clublexus Contest Winner

1999 GS400
2012 Kia Optima SWP TURBO

Past: 88 Samurai--87 mustang LX GT conv--95 Mustang GT auto--97 Lexus Es300
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtotheJ View Post
Drone is overrated......let the V8 breathe!
tmf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 07:39 AM   #4
warandcar
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
warandcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ca
Posts: 256
Default

that was a good one… i'd buy a 2010 and above. also i would've probably bought the LS if i had to do it all over again. and with that being said no problems in my 460. love this car till the end and hope to be trouble free too!
warandcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 08:15 AM   #5
alchemist
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
alchemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2004 View Post
I agree with your post but 2007 was the first year of the GS350. So technically you bought the first year of the new V6 model...
I should have been more clear. I avoided the 2006s because of reading about problems. I generally avoid first year new models but took a chance with the 2007 (knowing it was the first year for the 350) because of the price I got on mine. I have been fortunate to date
__________________


2007 GS350
2006 RX330
alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 08:25 AM   #6
tmf2004
10 years on Clublexus
Trader Score: (12)
 
tmf2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: FL (PSL)
Posts: 20,260
anthonymichael34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist View Post
I should have been more clear. I avoided the 2006s because of reading about problems. I generally avoid first year new models but took a chance with the 2007 (knowing it was the first year for the 350) because of the price I got on mine. I have been fortunate to date
Its Amazing to me how the 2007's are still holding a decent price... I firmly believe that used car prices are up at this point in time... If you can find a 2007 with under 50k miles your paying a good penny for that car...
__________________

2011 Vossen Clublexus Contest Winner

1999 GS400
2012 Kia Optima SWP TURBO

Past: 88 Samurai--87 mustang LX GT conv--95 Mustang GT auto--97 Lexus Es300
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtotheJ View Post
Drone is overrated......let the V8 breathe!
tmf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 09:31 AM   #7
PWRSTEVE
Pole Position
Trader Score: (4)
 
PWRSTEVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 214
gssteve
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2004 View Post
Its Amazing to me how the 2007's are still holding a decent price... I firmly believe that used car prices are up at this point in time... If you can find a 2007 with under 50k miles your paying a good penny for that car...
Yeah I recently picked up a 2007 Starfire Pearl w/36k miles fully loaded with every option for 22,000
PWRSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 10:55 AM   #8
doctordank
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTEVE View Post
Yeah I recently picked up a 2007 Starfire Pearl w/36k miles fully loaded with every option for 22,000
similar deal, 07 gs350 with 55k miles, bought for $20,500 and that included free delivery from Houston to Austin. I searched quite a bit and felt I got a good price for the miles and being 1-owner and accident free.
doctordank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 11:03 AM   #9
PWRSTEVE
Pole Position
Trader Score: (4)
 
PWRSTEVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 214
gssteve
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordank View Post
similar deal, 07 gs350 with 55k miles, bought for $20,500 and that included free delivery from Houston to Austin. I searched quite a bit and felt I got a good price for the miles and being 1-owner and accident free.
yeah tough finding one with the right color combo. OP they are pretty much very reliable. If you can get a good deal anything 07+ the exterior changes are subtle. A local dealership in California wanted 37000+ for a 2010 white/black with 36k miles no parking or ML, at that price I might as well search for a 4GS. This is my second 07 and besides the TSB and Recalls nothing really much went wrong.
PWRSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 01:04 PM   #10
texbanc
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 86
Default

Try to find a 460 if you can. Really great cars and less engine problems.
texbanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 01:22 PM   #11
Lukas99GS
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 345
Default

Any issues with these dash rattles I've heard about?
Lukas99GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 01:39 PM   #12
PWRSTEVE
Pole Position
Trader Score: (4)
 
PWRSTEVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 214
gssteve
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbanc View Post
Try to find a 460 if you can. Really great cars and less engine problems.
Yes try and find a 460. They are rare but out there!
PWRSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 02:14 PM   #13
tmf2004
10 years on Clublexus
Trader Score: (12)
 
tmf2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: FL (PSL)
Posts: 20,260
anthonymichael34
Default

also OP make sure to check the car fax and Lexus.com for service records. both will show different things .

some great prices some if you guys got on your 2007's .
__________________

2011 Vossen Clublexus Contest Winner

1999 GS400
2012 Kia Optima SWP TURBO

Past: 88 Samurai--87 mustang LX GT conv--95 Mustang GT auto--97 Lexus Es300
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtotheJ View Post
Drone is overrated......let the V8 breathe!
tmf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 03:33 PM   #14
ThomasGS4
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (19)
 
ThomasGS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 7,945
Send a message via AIM to ThomasGS4 Send a message via MSN to ThomasGS4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbanc View Post
Try to find a 460 if you can. Really great cars and less engine problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTEVE View Post
Yes try and find a 460. They are rare but out there!

Aye!
__________________
http://i62.tinypic.com/1j58cp.jpg
'08 Matador GS460
'98 Onyx GS400
ThomasGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 04:47 PM   #15
darinmg
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: ca
Posts: 126
Default

My 2007 430 has dash rattles. Haven't been able to eliminate them yet. Driving me nuts. Mine are more like plastic on plastic creaks on rough road or sharp bumps...not rattles.
darinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 04:47 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd Gen GS300 UAS on stock struts chime in!! vincentwc VIP Style 4 06-25-14 09:20 PM
Q's about buying a 3rd gen GS Lukas99GS GS - Third Generation 8 12-16-13 09:05 AM
2007 gs350 awd jscience GS - Third Generation 13 11-12-13 03:43 PM
2nd vs 3rd gen GS questions Lukas99GS GS - Second Generation 4 06-19-13 06:53 PM
3rd gen front bumper on 2nd gen gs300 conversion? Nguyenrrr GS - Second Generation 11 02-15-13 03:07 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info