GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Better choice than OEM for rotors (price/quality wise)?

Old 08-08-14, 06:08 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Better choice than OEM for rotors (price/quality wise)?

So my car still has original rotors on it front and back, the pads need replacing very soon and I can feel a rust lip on the front rotors. I think it's time to just replace everything including the rotors.

However, I find that locally the cheapest I can get OE rotors is like $130 per wheel which seems ridiculous. Sewell lexus on the surface online CL price is much better like $60 per wheel. However they want $450 to ship 4 rotors including brokerage etc. or $150 cheapest method which I will get ripped a new one by Fedex across the border making them no cheaper/more expensive after all.

Granted these OE rotors seem to be pretty good, they lasted this long... but if NAPA or other aftermarket rotors can be of equal quality and cost half as much then I'm open to that. I replaced rotors on a previous car with ones I got from NAPA (paid for their priciest ones and was still much cheaper) and never really had issues with them but I didn't keep that car for the long haul after that.

Any suggestions? I have no problem with the OE pads they have never been noisy or excessively dusty or anything for me - I already have a set of OE pads ready to go so I'll be using those I'm just trying to figure out if I can avoid $600 for a set of rotors.
Old 08-08-14, 07:30 AM
Soltez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OE pads are sooo dusty :/ would never use them again personally
Old 08-08-14, 09:44 AM
jli
Driver School Candidate

I think anything with high carbon disc is fine. For myself, I order a set of Pilenga front rotor for 140..
Old 08-08-14, 12:20 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought 4 Centric (basically StopTech) rotors (high carbon ones) for ~$70 each and all four Akebono pads for $100

To me these are better than OEM without the insane price.

This was all through Rock Auto
Old 08-08-14, 01:49 PM
bpjadhav
Driver School Candidate

I haven't changed the fronts yet. When I did the rear brakes, I went with Centric rotors and Akebono pads - off of Amazon.
Old 08-08-14, 05:20 PM
BinaryJay

I noticed on Sewell there were different parts for AWD vs RWD for rotors however all of the aftermarket parts sites don't seem to make this distinction. I have AWD, should I be concerned about ordering the wrong thing here?
Old 08-08-14, 05:59 PM
YogiFTLC
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bpjadhav
I haven't changed the fronts yet. When I did the rear brakes, I went with Centric rotors and Akebono pads - off of Amazon.

I vouch for Centric rotors and pads (if available)

I'm closely working with Centric aka Stop Tech on a project at the moment and I got to visit there manufacturing facility over here in SoCal. Top notch quality
Old 08-09-14, 10:31 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go and have your stock ones measured… u may be able to scrape by on one more pad change...
Old 08-09-14, 06:19 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by warandcar
i would go and have your stock ones measured… u may be able to scrape by on one more pad change...
Last shop that I had my brakes cleaned/lubcricated at during regular service said that I needed new fronts but the rears were fine... their reason was that there was a sizeable rust lip on the front rotors. I have no idea if they actually measured anything or not. I figure if I'm going to keep the car for the long haul I might as well just throw new rotors all around after all having a car that stops isn't really something I want to cheap out on with two kids under 3 in the car.

It was my understanding nobody really turned rotors any more.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 08-09-14 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-09-14, 07:14 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
It was my understanding nobody really turned rotors any more.
Sure they do. The local Chevy dealer even has a fancy laser-based machine that can "turn" them while still mounted to the car.
Old 08-11-14, 02:18 PM
BinaryJay

After a ton of research on independent shops in Toronto, I think I finally found one that comes highly recommended that is only a 7 minute drive from me - the one I previously used is all the way across the giant city so I only reluctantly go there.

I think I'm just going to take the car there and see what they recommend for rotors and get their price, I really don't feel like replacing them in my driveway myself to save a few bucks this time. The only reason I was leaning towards OE was because I never had any issues with the OE ones, but really I just want something basic without any stupid slots and holes that won't warp on me and has a hub that is coated so it won't rust and look like ****. I'm pretty sure I'm overdue for fluid too and I know I need the pads done, overall there is quite a lot of travel on my brake pedal these days. Who knows maybe they will be honest and say that they can save my rotors for another set of pads after all.

I got a loaner car right now while mine is getting the engine exploded for the piston job and it's crazy how much more travel there is on my brakes than the car they gave me, you don't really notice it until you get into another car I guess.
Old 08-11-14, 03:13 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Ask them if they will install brakes you bring them. Most of these guys won't because of liability, blah blah blah. And also because they will just go to the local NAPA but the brakes and up-charge you 15-20%. If you're ok with this then get-r-done. Also the Centric I mentioned are not the cross-drilled or power-slotted. They are the basic which is what I wanted as my car is a daily driver.
Old 08-11-14, 03:59 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by alchemist
Ask them if they will install brakes you bring them. Most of these guys won't because of liability, blah blah blah. And also because they will just go to the local NAPA but the brakes and up-charge you 15-20%. If you're ok with this then get-r-done. Also the Centric I mentioned are not the cross-drilled or power-slotted. They are the basic which is what I wanted as my car is a daily driver.
Yeah I looked at them on rockauto et al, but shipping to me in Toronto costs more than the freaking parts and that's not even taking into account likely brokerage fees. It's like $140 worth of rotors cost $160 to ship which is ridiculous and I'm sure nowhere near the actual cost of shipping. People down south have it so easy when it comes to automotive stuff.