GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus recommended service after inspection

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 06:53 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus recommended service after inspection

Just got my 2010 back from the dealer today after getting some stuff fixed. They recommended the following after their inspection:

Perform air conditioning system refresh service (Found cabin air filter dirty) - Status: Caution - Cost: $139.95
Perform brake system fluid exchange (Found brake fluid is discolored) - Status: Caution - Cost: $119.95
Replace cabin air filter (Found cabin air filter dirty) - Status: Caution - Cost: $115.00
Perform AWD sedan differential service (Found front differential fluid to be dirty/contaminated) - Status: Caution - Cost: $198.00
Replace spark plugs: (Spark plugs appear original) - Status: Caution - Cost: $434.00
Replace air filter (Found air filter dirty) - Status: Caution - Cost: $68.00
Perform 3 Part Fuel Induction System Service (Clean Injectors, throttle body, and intake manifold) (Found air filter dirty) - Status: Caution - Cost: $169.95

OK. So I drive this car reeaaally hard - I regularly exceed 100 MPH and hit the limiter occasionally, take corners hard and do a lot of hard acceleration - and the previous owner wasn't very nice to it either. That being said, I have around 64k miles and I want to know your opinions on these items.

Obviously the cabin air filter and engine air filter are easy and I can do them myself and save a bundle. Based on my driving habits, should I be worried about the differential gear oil, the plugs, and brake fluid?

Last edited by rjk; 08-05-14 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-05-14, 07:08 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Good lord what a ripoff haha.

What all is included in the "AC system refresh"? It looks like hundreds of dollars just for the cabin air filter?

I also wonder how they clean the intake manifold? At that cost I'm assuming they do more than some injector cleaner in the gas tank?
Old 08-05-14, 07:13 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like they think you look like a sucker with money.
Old 08-05-14, 07:14 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Yeah I am totally ignoring those because they are BS. The AC doesn't smell bad, and I can run a can of seafoam through the intake if I really am worried about it. I'm wanting to know the service interval for the other stuff, considering both the inspection report and my driving habits. Any suggestions?
Old 08-05-14, 08:04 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

The brake fluid and differential fluid would be all Id worry about. I really doubt the plugs are bad after 64k.
Old 08-05-14, 08:12 PM
BlackNeko
Driver School Candidate

have an '10, drive it hard as hell on the 85mph tolls here in Austin. Was a lease return when I purchased it. The best thing I ever did was replace the plugs and clean the throttle body. The car drives insanely different. My conclusion is the previous owner did not use premium fuel and since they maintenance intervals didn't call for them it wasn't done.

I put in a K/N drop in filter and just replaced the cabin filter for a charcoal/pollen filter on Amazon for 22 bucks. I only haven't replaced the radiator, transmission and differential fluid as of yet. Per the dealer I usually replace all fluids no matter what on the used cars I buy. I just found a trusted mechanic for lexus that tells me to hold off for a bit on those.

I am just about to hit 54k
Old 08-05-14, 08:43 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

It seems weird that after less than 50k miles a spark plug and seafoam treatment could make THAT much of a difference. Lower octane fuel will only retard the timing, reducing power. It shouldn't clog up the intake or foul the spark plugs.
Old 08-05-14, 08:47 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

I can see how crap gas might require some injector cleaning, but I doubt a little carbon on the throttle body is doing any harm. I should look at the service history and maybe do the diff fluids if they have never been done before. Honestly the brake fluid looks healthy to me.
Old 08-05-14, 10:17 PM
vincewchan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Sounds like they think you look like a sucker with money.
Agreed. A lot of this you can perform yourself for 1/5th of the price.
Old 08-06-14, 07:41 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

OK, so I found out that the brake fluid was done at 30k and the suggested interval from Lexus is every 30k, so I should get that done (wasn't done at 60k). Their inspection report says they don't look inside anything, and instead just do a visual, so I'm doubting their story of bad gear oil in the diffs. However, the diffs are still on their factory fill, which means there is likely a bit of gunk from the first break-in that would be good to get flushed out eventually.

The plugs I will leave until 100-120k, and the filters I will do myself. Once the diffs are done after the factory fill and break in, I will leave them for another 150k or more because they don't need changing often at all.
Old 08-06-14, 05:18 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn't leave your plugs in that long. I changed mine at 80k and they were ready to be changed. They are cheap so who cares, just change them out before they become real difficult to be removed.
Old 08-06-14, 06:31 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Asav
I wouldn't leave your plugs in that long. I changed mine at 80k and they were ready to be changed. They are cheap so who cares, just change them out before they become real difficult to be removed.
They're charging $434 for the plugs. They won't be any harder to change later on...when they're due to be changed.
Old 08-06-14, 06:33 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

LOL @ $115 for a cabin filter and $68 for air filter you can do in 5 minutes total for both
Old 08-06-14, 06:36 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
So you can run seafoam in the intake as in air intake?
Yeah, it makes a lot of smoke but it really helps clean out the port injectors. There's a few threads about it around here.
Old 08-06-14, 06:42 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Seafom info, for those wondering: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...o-seafoam.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...k-in-here.html

Quick Reply: Lexus recommended service after inspection