GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS430 inside edge tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-14, 12:57 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2006 GS430 inside edge tire wear

Hey folks, I have been reading that this is a common issue in these cars and that some dealers are telling people that it is normal.

This cannot be normal, has anyone found a definitive answer to why it happens?

I put a set of michelin PSS on less than 2 months ago and already have the wear happening, I have aligned the car 2X since and it is still an issue (I even added toe-in to try and compensate, I may try more)
Old 07-31-14, 01:06 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

what is your current setup like? rims, tires, spacers, height...
Old 07-31-14, 05:13 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Had the same issue with my car OEM setup with 18" w/AVS...I had the Michelin Primacy HP which wore on the insides on the front and the Michen PSS did the same...now I the Pilot Sport A/S 3...time will tell but I rotate every 5k and get an alignment every year and it's never been out the factory ranges. I get about 25k out a set of tires I tried to stretch the PSS to 30k and the insides on the front were shot...

I have a friend with an IS350 that has the same issue...I've learned to inspect the insides every 5k....

If you figure this out let me know...
Old 07-31-14, 06:08 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Are your front shocks in decent condition?
Old 07-31-14, 10:17 PM
Mistahoo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue. Had some brand new Advans put on when I got my car and barely 18k mi later I had to replace them due to inner wheel wear. I know these tires last much longer than 18k, but I decided not to blow that kind of money if it might potentially happen again so I put some Sumitomos on. Everything is in tip top shape, I suspect alignment, but I'm hoping some has an answer
Old 08-01-14, 05:58 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the inside wear issue on my Nitto NT555's and it developed around 70k miles. Replaced the struts and put new tires on with an alignment and wear is fine. The owner of the tire store has been doing this a long time and he said the failed struts could definitely cause inside wear like that.
Old 08-01-14, 06:06 AM
PhantomV
Rookie

OMG thank you for posting !! i thought i was loosing my mind. My dealer keeps telling me to get an alignment every time i go in for something. why do i need an alignment every time if you guys just did one?? i get the inside tire wear also and i'm on Michelins also. This makes you just want to sell the car. Why is it eating up tires so much? i just recently lowered it and thats when i saw how bad my tires were getting. could it be due to the way the suspension angles is set up or something. basically buying tires every year or less.
Old 08-01-14, 10:56 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was told by a lexus technician as well as 2 tires shops that our cars have an auto camber to it… that no matter how many times you align it the car will auto camber the car to your driving habits and style. therefore if you're an aggressive driver or tend to be at times the car will remember to set it at that kind of style of driving. thought it was BS till i asked and got all the same answers
Old 08-01-14, 10:57 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

chime in if you heard differently… thanks
Old 08-01-14, 12:17 PM
PhantomV
Rookie

Originally Posted by warandcar
i was told by a lexus technician as well as 2 tires shops that our cars have an auto camber to it… that no matter how many times you align it the car will auto camber the car to your driving habits and style. therefore if you're an aggressive driver or tend to be at times the car will remember to set it at that kind of style of driving. thought it was BS till i asked and got all the same answers
i have never heard of this before. i didn't see anything electrical (i was not really looking at the time) when i was doing my suspension. i am curious also on how true this is. wonder if we could just buy a camber kit to eliminate the problem?

i found this article.Has anyone looked or replaced their front lower control arm bushings or the control arm itself? i know i haven't looked at mine yet but sure will once i get my car back from the shop. read the tire wear part near the middle http://www.daizensporttuning.com/model/lexus-gs.html
Old 08-01-14, 12:27 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by warandcar
i was told by a lexus technician as well as 2 tires shops that our cars have an auto camber to it舰 that no matter how many times you align it the car will auto camber the car to your driving habits and style. therefore if you're an aggressive driver or tend to be at times the car will remember to set it at that kind of style of driving. thought it was BS till i asked and got all the same answers

Haha, absolutely not. From the factory there is actually no camber adjustment, period.
Old 08-01-14, 12:35 PM
PhantomV
Rookie

so if the article is correct and everyone seems to be getting this after they reach above 40-50k then would this kit work? its $300 but i'm pretty sure in long long run its cheaper than replacing tires every year. let me know what you guys think. i'm tired of looking for tires and i just bought mine last year lol.

upper control arm
http://www.circuitmotorsports.net/me...i-1732898.aspx

SPC alignment
http://www.circuitmotorsports.net/sp...i-1677041.aspx

or just buy a new lower control arm
Old 08-01-14, 02:28 PM
warandcar
Lead Lap

very interesting… good read...
Old 08-03-14, 09:46 AM
rawr2is250
Pole Position

Good read, great info here.
Old 08-03-14, 04:48 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Is your toe wear in the front or rear? The person doing the alignment were they using the latest hunter alignment rack?

Quick Reply: 2006 GS430 inside edge tire wear