GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS300 electrical problems?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-14, 11:01 PM
vincentwc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GS300 electrical problems?!

So I recently purchased a 2006 GS300 RWD about 2 months ago, and everything seemed fine until problems started popping up...
First my check VSC, CEL, and traction light all went on, took it to the dealership, they said it was misfiring and they fixed all that under warranty, cool.
But when I got my car back I found that the car took some time to start up, as if it were "slow". It would click like 2-3 times then the engine would boot up, I didn't pay much attention to it, and continued driving, oh and my VSC, CEL, traction lights are all still on. (dealer says its cause I have a bad catalytic converter but who knows -___-)
Then really recently, I noticed that when I went into reverse to park or something, my touch screen would restart out of nowhere randomly, still didn't pay much attention to it since this only happened 2-3 times.
Then today is when it hit me, I was parking and my power steering just went completely out. God was that steering wheel hard to turn But after I turned my car off and turned it back on the P/S would go back on, then turn off again, and after turning it on and off 2-3 times it managed to stay on the ride back home. Now I'm really concerned.
I'm taking the car to my friends shop to get it checked out tomorrow, but what do you guys think might be the source of all the problems? I'm assuming its either a bad battery or a bad alternator. I did see the battery light flash up for a quick second once while driving, and I also saw it again when my P/S went out. What do you guys think?! Please voice out your knowledge to a noob!

Just checked my carfax and it said my Power Steering was serviced in 3/24/2009 so I'm assuming that it was serviced due to the recall that happened then?

Last edited by vincentwc; 07-28-14 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-27-14, 11:47 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

sorry to hear ur issues. i wish you did some research before purchased the 06 GS300. 06 GS300 is a car to avoid. hopefully someone else can guide you through those issues. if you in OC, bring it to good lexus/toyota mechanic.
Old 07-28-14, 12:38 AM
vincentwc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by masboy
sorry to hear ur issues. i wish you did some research before purchased the 06 GS300. 06 GS300 is a car to avoid. hopefully someone else can guide you through those issues. if you in OC, bring it to good lexus/toyota mechanic.
I got it for a good price and I had already anticipated some issues going into buying this car, I heard the misfiring issue was the biggest issue with the car and I managed to get it fixed already, but I just want to get some answers on the smaller issues I'm dealing with listed above. I'm taking it to a good buddy of mine's shop tomorrow so he can help me out. And yeah, I am in OC!
Old 07-28-14, 07:01 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First law of this car when anything electronic starts acting weird is charge or replace your battery. Try it.
Old 07-28-14, 10:39 AM
LADavidGS
Driver

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
First law of this car when anything electronic starts acting weird is charge or replace your battery. Try it.

+1 on battery issue. I would take it to local auto parts shop and run battery test on it. Second, I would look in to alternator. Lastly, go back to the dealership and have them double check the spark plug wires and etc. Sorry to hear about your issue. I just sold my 06 Lexus GS300 and it was a fun car to drive.
Old 07-29-14, 01:33 AM
vincentwc
Driver School Candidate

Fixed! I had a bad alternator and now everything is running very smoothly Thank you everyone for your advice