GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS450h "Check Hybrid System" *just want to vent*

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 04:46 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default GS450h "Check Hybrid System" *just want to vent*

so it finally happened...

yesterday i was about to head out to mirage hotel to watch the world cup final, the car start up really rough for 2 second then follow by a rough shut down inside my garage, then the famous message "check hybrid system" came up. i sat in my car for few minutes in shock coz it just happened so sudden, although i would already expect that to happen anytime soon because i been seeing the single purple battery bar a lot and the battery won't hold charge for long. also the acceleration hesitate so much because the whole car is struggling to charge the battery up.

so I made appointment and drop my car off to the dealer today. got out with a 2013 loaner within 20mins, and went back to work.

5 hours later, I got a call from my SA, say he spoke with the Lexus corp office and they have new software for the hybrid vehicle and he will be installing that for my car and it should take care of the problem.

seriously?

i stop doing all my work and went on google right away to see if there is really such thing as a Hybrid firmware/software upgrade for Toyota/Lexus, and i only found this

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/12/54...oftware-glitch

and it does not look anything like it

seriously, if your smart phone battery don't hold charge anymore, do you update your system software, or replace the battery?

i felt like because my car warranty is about to expire, they are trying to BS anything to talk themselves out of replacing the battery for me

sorry if this isn't in the hybrid sub forum, i just want to share my experiences with my stealer today
Old 07-15-14, 03:22 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

I had this happen to me when I had my hybrid GS and got freaked out as well. The fix did work and car had no problems when I had it, also happened around the same mileage. I wouldn't worry about it but you should have them check your hybrid battery while they are updating.
Old 07-15-14, 03:35 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

The hybrid system is far more complicated than a cell phone / battery combo. There are way too many variables to cover, but software is huge.

Btw, the battery life on my Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 watch sucked until a software update was made for the software running on my Note 3. So there's that.
Old 07-15-14, 10:51 AM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I had this happen to me when I had my hybrid GS and got freaked out as well. The fix did work and car had no problems when I had it, also happened around the same mileage. I wouldn't worry about it but you should have them check your hybrid battery while they are updating.
really? well now that you telling me i feel better, i really felt that my battery isn't holding up the charge and i kept hearing ppl saying their battery needed replace around 100k miles, and i was getting there. when i pick up the car today i will see what they have to say then i will ask them how long they going guarantee their work as my warranty is about to expire..
Old 12-03-14, 06:44 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

2 update,

10/2014
Check Hybrid System message came back on again,

Stealer suspect my 12v aux battery dying, replaced aux battery for $500 =__= wear and tear item, also water pump failed, got that replaced under CPO warranty.

11/2014
Check Hybrid System came back on,

Big battery confirmed toasted at 83k miles. (felt its been dead since 60k miles)

anyway, i am happy with that so far... $500 for a small battery form ocotober is still kinda steep...

going to get my car check because one side of my car is sitting lower than the other side, suspect strut might be leaking
Old 12-04-14, 02:58 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
2 update,

10/2014
Check Hybrid System message came back on again,

Stealer suspect my 12v aux battery dying, replaced aux battery for $500 =__= wear and tear item, also water pump failed, got that replaced under CPO warranty.

11/2014
Check Hybrid System came back on,

Big battery confirmed toasted at 83k miles. (felt its been dead since 60k miles)

anyway, i am happy with that so far... $500 for a small battery form ocotober is still kinda steep...

going to get my car check because one side of my car is sitting lower than the other side, suspect strut might be leaking
Wow that sucks would have never thought the big battery for the same issue. Was the big battery replaced under warranty.