GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Front Engine/Timing Chain Cover Oil Leak - Possible Causes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-14, 11:51 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Engine/Timing Chain Cover Oil Leak - Possible Causes?

So I pull off the lower engine cover from my '07 GS350 a couple of days ago, ready to start my 60k service with the oil change. As soon as I get the cover off however, I see oil collecting on the oil pan, sway bar, and basically everything in a line up to the left side of the water pump.

Name:  oilleak.jpg
Views: 26847
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  oilleak2.jpg
Views: 21900
Size:  86.3 KB

No leakage visible from above at all, and oil level was still between the "full" marks on the dipstick. So I took it in to my dealership yesterday morning, and heard back from the SA that the gasket on the front engine cover is leaking. Replacement is $3,000 but is covered by my (3 month old, 48 mo./100k mile) extended warranty.

The front engine cover (also called cam shaft/timing chain/belt front engine cover or timing chain/belt cover sub-assembly) is part number 11302 in the diagram below (Sewell Lexus rocks).

Name:  2007GS350OEMEngineFuelTIMINGGEARCOVERREARENDPLATEReplacementParts.png
Views: 16102
Size:  528.9 KB

I know sometimes things just happen, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen this problem on any of the threads here. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Also wondering if anyone knows whether its possible that this happened during VVT actuator gear replacement (about 3 months/2k miles ago)?
The following users liked this post:
datboiM (12-30-22)
Old 06-18-14, 01:43 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you had that service done 2,000 miles ago they definitely screwed up that gasket. Probably reused the old one is my guess.
Old 06-18-14, 01:49 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Yes, I would take it back to the dealer. I'm betting it probably had to do with the cam gear recall.
Old 06-18-14, 06:25 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Yes, I would take it back to the dealer. I'm betting it probably had to do with the cam gear recall.
Yeah, it's at the dealership now ... same one that did the VVT replacement recall.

Originally Posted by burny
If you had that service done 2,000 miles ago they definitely screwed up that gasket. Probably reused the old one is my guess.
That's what came to the top of my mind, given the timing and the fact that this seems to be a rare problem. Do you know for a fact whther or not they remove this cover to do that service?
Old 06-18-14, 07:54 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vvti cam recall has nothing to do with the front cover. There is a timing chain tensioner cover that has a gasket that could leak oil #11328 in your above pic that is replaced during the recall. It's possible the tech that did your recall loosened the lower vvti bolt and did not replace the gasket. Either way glad it's under warranty.
Old 06-21-14, 10:33 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wht95scort
The vvti cam recall has nothing to do with the front cover. There is a timing chain tensioner cover that has a gasket that could leak oil #11328 in your above pic that is replaced during the recall. It's possible the tech that did your recall loosened the lower vvti bolt and did not replace the gasket. Either way glad it's under warranty.
Great to know, thanks. I guess the only difference it would make for me is that I wouldn't have to pay the $50 deductible if it was their mistake. I don't think they'd tell me even if that were the case however.
Old 06-23-14, 12:26 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

I picked up the car today, and had a chance to talk to one of their master techs about the problem.

He said that he has seen a lot of 2GR-FSE engines come in with failing FIPG (form in place gasket) seals, due to too much or too little sealant used at the factory. This was allegedly the problem with my car. Doesn't matter much to me since it was completely covered under extended warranty (didn't even have to pay the $50 deductible), but it's probably something everyone should keep an eye out for.

Like many others here, I had my water pump replaced due to leakage. Does anyone know if that used a factory FIPG seal as well?

If anyone else has experienced oil leaks through an FIPG seal on their 2GR-FSE engine, please share your experience.
Old 05-14-15, 07:04 AM
jeatherton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my car back from the dealer due to the most recent recal and oil change and was told that my Front timing cover seal is leaking has this happened to anyone that is not under the warenty? Also has anyone attempted to take it on there self I woukd rather spend 3k+ on something else
Old 05-14-15, 11:05 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

$3k seems ridiculously high
Old 05-14-15, 11:51 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a lot of labor...that's why it's so high...the last thing you want to do is to mess it up and have to start all over...

Find a Toyota/Lexus specialty shop if you don't want to pay Lexus prices...
Old 05-14-15, 01:44 PM
jeatherton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
It's a lot of labor...that's why it's so high...the last thing you want to do is to mess it up and have to start all over...

Find a Toyota/Lexus specialty shop if you don't want to pay Lexus prices...

Yeah your right there is a bunch of labor they told me that they have to remove the motor.....good news I have an extended warrenty and they covered the cost THANK GOD!!!!!
Old 05-15-15, 09:57 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CAK 500
I picked up the car today, and had a chance to talk to one of their master techs about the problem.

He said that he has seen a lot of 2GR-FSE engines come in with failing FIPG (form in place gasket) seals, due to too much or too little sealant used at the factory. This was allegedly the problem with my car. Doesn't matter much to me since it was completely covered under extended warranty (didn't even have to pay the $50 deductible), but it's probably something everyone should keep an eye out for.

Like many others here, I had my water pump replaced due to leakage. Does anyone know if that used a factory FIPG seal as well?

If anyone else has experienced oil leaks through an FIPG seal on their 2GR-FSE engine, please share your experience.
Just sayin...
Old 05-15-15, 01:53 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi LexusLive!! LOL! How are you?

We all know that the quality of Lexus is crap and on the downslope. I wonder how many have this problem or is it a certain year that is plagues....maybe the 09 and could be why the ratings were low? Maybe...but this is the first case ive heard of.

For a second I thought I was on the Infiniti forum...lol
Old 05-15-15, 02:27 PM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
Hi LexusLive!! LOL! How are you?

We all know that the quality of Lexus is crap and on the downslope. I wonder how many have this problem or is it a certain year that is plagues....maybe the 09 and could be why the ratings were low? Maybe...but this is the first case ive heard of.

For a second I thought I was on the Infiniti forum...lol
"He [the master tech] said that he has seen a lot of 2GR-FSE engines come in with failing FIPG (form in place gasket) seals, due to too much or too little sealant used at the factory."

That is a quote. Proof that the 3.5 V6 is not infallible, and in fact appears to have oil containment issues not found with the 3GR-FSE. Stuff like this keeps bubbling up to the top of the forum, and I refuse to ignore it and to be made a fool for buying the GS 300.
Old 05-15-15, 06:11 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Default Deja vu all over again

Originally Posted by jeatherton
Just got my car back from the dealer due to the most recent recal and oil change and was told that my Front timing cover seal is leaking has this happened to anyone that is not under the warenty? Also has anyone attempted to take it on there self I woukd rather spend 3k+ on something else
My leak re-occured two months ago. Exact same circumstances as the original leak in 6/14. This time the dealership said that they had forgotten to replace a gasket during the VVTi recall service, which they had performed just prior to the original leak. So, long story short is that they pulled the engine and resealed the front engine cover on my car for no reason. At least it was all on their dime, but geez.

If your leak is the same as mine, the engine cover reseal won't address the problem ... if it still leaks, have them check the gasket(s) that were removed during the VVTi service.

Quick Reply: Front Engine/Timing Chain Cover Oil Leak - Possible Causes?