GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tpms acting up...

Old 05-19-14, 04:45 PM
justYnG
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tpms acting up...minor update??

Today I spent an eventful day at the dealership getting oil changes on my IS300 and my GS430. After leaving with my gs430, my Tpms light came on. So I went back to the dealer and they ran a check to confirm it is the Tpms. My service guy didn't tell me which tire went out but I'm planning on getting rims in a couple of months. Should I just order order a new set of tpm sensors or just find out which needs to be replaced and replace it?

I found a set of 4 on eBay for $171 and the dealer wanted $263 and I believed that covered that one tire. Is there way I can find which sensor is bad?

Last edited by justYnG; 06-11-14 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 01:15 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

A member on here, tunedis95, did diagnostics on his TPMS to determine which one went bad.

Why didn't you ask the dealer (as they're supposed to let you know anyways) WHICH TPMS sensor it is?

171's a decent deal for all 4 IMO, but the sensors can be had for cheaper last I checked. The only thing you need to worry about is the Mhz range (frequency range) of your TPMS sensors (aftermarket ones anyways).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...67229260,d.cWc

There's a cross reference chart on here. GL!

EDIT: Click link and download the pdf, if it doesn't pop-up (like MY browser), right click, open in new tab.
Old 05-20-14, 09:20 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

$263 is a ridiculous rate and it may depend on who you talk to at the dealership. One of mine went bad and I was given a $250 - $300 quote to have it fixed. I went back another day and the next guy quoted $99 for the sensor and $50 in labor (they charge $100 an hour).

I ended up paying $150 to have it done which I didn't think was to bad. Either way you are going to give the Lexus dealer money because although you can find the sensors on a variety of websites only a Lexus dealer can program it.
Old 05-20-14, 10:12 PM
Majek
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YaMomma
I ended up paying $150 to have it done which I didn't think was to bad. Either way you are going to give the Lexus dealer money because although you can find the sensors on a variety of websites only a Lexus dealer can program it.
TPMS sensors can easily be programmed if you have one of those Techstream kits.
Old 05-21-14, 12:46 AM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Majek
TPMS sensors can easily be programmed if you have one of those Techstream kits.
I have the Techstream kit listed in the link below and it doesn't program TPMS sensors.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tool-ever.html

When I started having problems with a sensor I went to the dealer and got a ridiculous quote. I knew I could get the sensors for $100 on Amazon.com so I started looking into other options. I purchased the OBDII cable with the Techstream software and still couldn't program TPMS. It will show you everything known to man related to the sensors but won't let you program them. I also haven't seen a thread where anyone was able to successfully program TPMS but many have tired.

I went to multiple national tire chains all of which could program TPMS for other cars but not Lexus. Therefore I went back to the dealer and happened to get someone with some common sense that gave me a reasonable quote.

So if you have successfully programed TPMS with Techstream please state how you did it so others can benefit.
Old 05-21-14, 10:59 AM
justYnG
Driver

I spoke to my buddy who manages a Goodyear tire location and he told me he could do the who thing for me. He mentioned he can program it when I get my new rims. The service guy mentioned it was tire number 2, but he didn't know which wheel it was referring to. I have also priced the oem tpms from Sewell and it's quoted at $71 a sensor. I have no problem buying this sensor from that site I just have an issue paying damn near $300 for a sensor in a tire in reality I don't need. Personally, the tpms is for the lazy people who don't know how to check a psi in a tire.
Old 05-22-14, 05:24 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

that light would drive me nuts though. i would have to address it
Old 05-22-14, 11:22 PM
justYnG
Driver

Originally Posted by Asav
that light would drive me nuts though. i would have to address it
Yeah, I think im going to replace all the sensors when I get my rims. I just wish I could just turn it off all together. It's not a needed feature I need but it's forced upon everyone.

Last edited by justYnG; 05-24-14 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-23-14, 03:38 AM
ka0bit0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really wish there was a way to disable the tpms on our cars. I just got new wheels and know for a fact that stupid light is going to drive me crazy. :/
Old 05-23-14, 11:50 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

There is ka0bit0. If your TPMS sensors are still functional and your new wheels aren't TPMS compatible,
Old 05-24-14, 11:40 AM
Majek
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a way to disable a bad TPMS if you can get a hold of someone who has the ODB2 connector and Techstream software.

They can set the bad TPMS ID in the software to 0000000. No more dash lights.
Old 05-24-14, 12:31 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justYnG
Personally, the tpms is for the lazy people who don't know how to check a psi in a tire.

Or women. I'm glad my wife's vehicle has it. She needs it. I'm also glad my vehicle has it because if she drives it I'd like her to know if a tire is low/flat before she gets on the highway....with our child in the back. It's much harder to tell when a 30 series tire is low/flat.

I used to feel the same way as you though.
Old 06-11-14, 02:36 PM
justYnG
Driver

i finally got up and checked my tire pressure myself today, i dont normally drive my gs i like to drive my is300 more often. and noticed that one of my tires was indeed low on pressure. my gauge read 25psi and so i brought it up to 35psi. i started the car and the code was still showing. the next thing i did is i took the negative side off the battery for about 10min and reconnected the battery and did the window reprogramming. the code still pops up... is there a way to clear it to see if adding air had fixed the issue or do you think the sensor is really bad?

did i drive my car since i added air? no, its still parked in my driveway.
Old 06-11-14, 05:12 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^ It will normally clear itself. Take it for a drive. Perhaps in the direction of a car parts dealer and see if they will do it for you with an OBDII reader.
Old 06-11-14, 08:32 PM
justYnG
Driver

Originally Posted by DrexLex
^^ It will normally clear itself. Take it for a drive. Perhaps in the direction of a car parts dealer and see if they will do it for you with an OBDII reader.
Lol!
I have to figure out who can do it besides the dealer. I don't think autozone can clear it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tpms acting up...