GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

K&N Typhoon sounds terrible on my GS350

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 10:17 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Typhoon sounds terrible on my GS350

Seriously, anyone like this particular modification on their V6 GS3? We have the Typhoon on our V8 GS2 and it sounds wonderful, deep, and musical. But when I "upgraded" my GS350, I almost had a heart attack at WOT because of the horrible sound I heard.

The GS4 has a great sounding stock intake with what is pretty much the same engine - what do I need to do to get the GS4/V8 type sound? This K&N just makes noise! It doesn't sound good at all.
Old 05-19-14, 10:34 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Put a V8 in it?
Old 05-19-14, 10:46 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Add a Tanabe exhaust. Problem solved! I did both at the same time so I couldn't tell you what the intake alone sounded like, but the two of them make music.
Old 05-19-14, 10:56 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Put a V8 in it?
If Lexus can make the 4th gen GS sound as good as it does with almost the same engine, than surely someone could do the same for the 3rd gen? A V8 isn't in the cards for me right now.

Originally Posted by zax3gs
Add a Tanabe exhaust. Problem solved! I did both at the same time so I couldn't tell you what the intake alone sounded like, but the two of them make music.
Is that a cat-back? I'm worried about CELs.
Old 05-19-14, 12:56 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I totally misread your post, haha. But yeah, my best guess is a nice, mellow exhaust to help the overall sound.
Old 05-19-14, 06:23 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

BTW kit is for sale in the classifieds if anyone wants it.
Old 05-20-14, 08:51 AM
3ZERO3
Rookie

This isn't my engine bay but I have the F-Sport intake. Looks good, sounds good, is 50 state legal and performs great. To me its worth spending extra money to get higher quality parts. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-20-14, 09:01 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 3ZERO3
This isn't my engine bay but I have the F-Sport intake. Looks good, sounds good, is 50 state legal and performs great. To me its worth spending extra money to get higher quality parts. Just my 2 cents
I was reading some other threads where users can't hear any difference at all. Does it actually change the sound at all so that you can hear a difference?
Old 05-20-14, 09:11 AM
3ZERO3
Rookie

Originally Posted by rjk
I was reading some other threads where users can't hear any difference at all. Does it actually change the sound at all so that you can hear a difference?
I slightly modified my factory air box I.E the IS F-sport intake comes with a lower air box with an extra opening to allow more air in. The GS intake does not come with this. I measured out the opening on the IS air box then cut it out on my factory lower box to mimic it. When cruising around and on normal throttle there is no to very little sound difference but upon heavy throttle it sounds very low toned and throaty. This picture is from another CL member I believe but I did exactly this as shown.

Old 05-20-14, 11:28 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

Thanks, that is helpful info.
Old 05-20-14, 11:45 AM
MizikeTSK
Driver

With my Joe Z intake and k&n drop in I can hear a difference when I floor it half way and definetly when I floor it all the way but I did not buy for sound. I thought about doing the f-sport mod myself but want to buy a spare stock intake as a back up.
Old 05-20-14, 12:30 PM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a K&N I love it... the only problem is the rear-end is too quiet. It definitely needs an exhaust.

take into factor -2 cylinders.

Performance I know is there.... there was a difference in throttle response and I got better fuel mileage.

define that "terrible" sound?

its an intake, its supposed to growl at WOT. If you put an intake just for sound you went the wrong route. If I was going for sound I wouldn't even have purchased an intake... just an exhaust.
you can prevent a CEL by putting a defouler unless its already built in depending on the exhaust you get... or if you just get an axle back you wont throw a CEL at all

Last edited by uberEJ; 05-20-14 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 12:51 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by uberEJ
I have a K&N I love it... the only problem is the rear-end is too quiet. It definitely needs an exhaust.

take into factor -2 cylinders.

Performance I know is there.... there was a difference in throttle response and I got better fuel mileage.

define that "terrible" sound?

its an intake, its supposed to growl at WOT. If you put an intake just for sound you went the wrong route. If I was going for sound I wouldn't even have purchased an intake... just an exhaust.
you can prevent a CEL by putting a defouler unless its already built in depending on the exhaust you get... or if you just get an axle back you wont throw a CEL at all
The growl is what I want - but I also got a loud RASP that sounded like glass-packs. That was the part I didn't like. I know everything was bolted down tight so there's no way it was something loose that was causing it.

Above ~2500 RPM I got a loud growl under load, but when it got above ~5000 RPM the din suddenly switched to cheesy riceburner mode and stopped sounding any good.
Old 05-20-14, 01:40 PM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rjk
The growl is what I want - but I also got a loud RASP that sounded like glass-packs. That was the part I didn't like. I know everything was bolted down tight so there's no way it was something loose that was causing it.

Above ~2500 RPM I got a loud growl under load, but when it got above ~5000 RPM the din suddenly switched to cheesy riceburner mode and stopped sounding any good.
that's what intakes do on higher rpms...the faster the chambers ignite the higher the pitch of the sound. once again the size of the engine, compression ratio, and the distance from the filter to the intake manifold matters on the tone as well.

can't justify it as a cheesy rise burner when it does provide performance. for example, my old civic was high pitched and raspy at higher rpms... I wouldn't call it cheesy rice burner making 286 whp.
Old 05-20-14, 02:22 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by uberEJ
that's what intakes do on higher rpms...the faster the chambers ignite the higher the pitch of the sound. once again the size of the engine, compression ratio, and the distance from the filter to the intake manifold matters on the tone as well.

can't justify it as a cheesy rise burner when it does provide performance. for example, my old civic was high pitched and raspy at higher rpms... I wouldn't call it cheesy rice burner making 286 whp.
Not all of them... as I mentioned, the K&N sounds superb on our V8, even at redline RPMs. I sure wasn't calling my car a ricer but the sound that I heard was definitely not pleasant. The F-Sport option sounds like the best route, since it's quiet by default and I can make it louder by modifying the air box.

Quick Reply: K&N Typhoon sounds terrible on my GS350