GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Bad day.

Old 04-03-14, 06:05 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bad day.

Wife managed to hit a pothole and blow out both tires on right side while driving our kid back home.

I broke the anti theft lock on one of the wheels. Changed out the front tire with a spare and drove back home 3 miles with a flat.
Frontrim isn't damaged at all, hope the back one is fine too.
My DWS had 75% still left on them so needless to say I was angry, but as long as everyone is ok I guess this is not the worst thing that could happen.

$400 for tires, $50 for mount, , $50 for locks, and probably an alignment.
But that's not all..... father calls me an hour later telling me his Avalon got t boned. Doors don't open.

Had to use my Beloved Lincoln to drop off kid in the morning and go to work. First time all 3 of us where in that car. wondered what was the last time my Mark had a kid in it. What was the last time someone drove their kid in a Mark vii. I like thinking about odds.
And speaking of odds, I am doing well on the stock market all week so again, not the worst thing that could have happened.

Hope the rest of you guys are having a good week.
Old 04-03-14, 06:07 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

glad to hear everyone is ok. thats the most important thing
Old 04-03-14, 06:29 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

sorry to hear that happened. Im form NY and was jsut up there a month back visiting family. The pothole situation there is never good, but this winter was treacherous man. There are CRATERS out there! seriously craters.. At least the car didn't get damaged (ie panels etc.) and your family is ok. Some of those holes are absolutely not avoidable with the way New Yorkers drive and the sheer size of the hole itself.
Old 04-03-14, 09:06 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Wife managed to hit a pothole and blow out both tires on right side while driving our kid back home.

I broke the anti theft lock on one of the wheels. Changed out the front tire with a spare and drove back home 3 miles with a flat.
Frontrim isn't damaged at all, hope the back one is fine too.
My DWS had 75% still left on them so needless to say I was angry, but as long as everyone is ok I guess this is not the worst thing that could happen.

$400 for tires, $50 for mount, , $50 for locks, and probably an alignment.
But that's not all..... father calls me an hour later telling me his Avalon got t boned. Doors don't open.

Had to use my Beloved Lincoln to drop off kid in the morning and go to work. First time all 3 of us where in that car. wondered what was the last time my Mark had a kid in it. What was the last time someone drove their kid in a Mark vii. I like thinking about odds.
And speaking of odds, I am doing well on the stock market all week so again, not the worst thing that could have happened.

Hope the rest of you guys are having a good week.
It's unfortunately to hear! I hope the market's up at least comp'd you on the tires and services .

Hope your week picks up!
Old 04-03-14, 02:17 PM
lex-ative
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably one of the few instances where having Road Hazard coverage on your tires makes sense......I have it through discount tire and they would have replaced them for free... could have saved you $400 bux...
Old 04-03-14, 10:12 PM
XxGoKoUxX

I don't know if it's different in your area.... But you pay a prorated price for new tires.... He would have saved himself $300 still.... (last I checked it's /$50 a tire... hence why I felt I was ripped off from Discount Tire given owned the tire for only 4 days before it blew on me).
Old 04-04-14, 01:55 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Thanks guys.
Car came with a brand new set of DwS tires so I didn't have any paperwork from it when I got the car from a dealer in Milwaukee.

I have to get the car running by Monday cause we use it to drive my daughter to the baby sitter every day.
New dws tires are coming in today from tire rack. $385 . I was actually shocked that it was so cheap.
Those two will go in the front . I'll do alignment next time I take it for oil change at Lexus. Hope they don't screw it up as well like they do everytime. .
Old 04-04-14, 12:35 PM
lex-ative
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I don't know if it's different in your area.... But you pay a prorated price for new tires.... He would have saved himself $300 still.... (last I checked it's /$50 a tire... hence why I felt I was ripped off from Discount Tire given owned the tire for only 4 days before it blew on me).
I think it's pro-rated if you don't have the coverage ( My wife gashed one of my tires on a curb. Only paid $40 towards a new one). I believe if you pay for the coverage (about 15-20 added to the cost of each tire at time of purchase), it covers road hazards, free flat fix or replace for life of tire.

In either case. hope you kept the receipt this time....
Old 04-04-14, 12:52 PM
gritty
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me in Tuesday. Only difference is that I only busted 1 tire but messed up something in steering column. At the dealer now waiting on the whip then headed to get ivic installed.
Old 04-04-14, 09:11 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Thanks guys.
Car came with a brand new set of DwS tires so I didn't have any paperwork from it when I got the car from a dealer in Milwaukee.

I have to get the car running by Monday cause we use it to drive my daughter to the baby sitter every day.
New dws tires are coming in today from tire rack. $385 . I was actually shocked that it was so cheap.
Those two will go in the front . I'll do alignment next time I take it for oil change at Lexus. Hope they don't screw it up as well like they do everytime. .
You really DID get a deal for'em! Which ones did you purchase? My Continental PureSports are nice, they're decent on the road, GREAT in braking, accel, and rain (we don't have snow so I can't tell you how they perform in snow).

Either way glad everything's taken care of!

Originally Posted by lex-ative
I think it's pro-rated if you don't have the coverage ( My wife gashed one of my tires on a curb. Only paid $40 towards a new one). I believe if you pay for the coverage (about 15-20 added to the cost of each tire at time of purchase), it covers road hazards, free flat fix or replace for life of tire.

In either case. hope you kept the receipt this time....
Unfortunately I DID have the insurance .... That's why I felt I got screwed, at Sams Club, where I used to get my tires from (until they completely fubarred my side skirts for my CarsonTuned Kit on the GS, I stopped going there...) It was a no hassle road hazard warranty, which is something I enjoyed, I believe I paid $10 more than at Discount Tire though....

Once again, maybe it's regional?

Originally Posted by gritty
Same thing happened to me in Tuesday. Only difference is that I only busted 1 tire but messed up something in steering column. At the dealer now waiting on the whip then headed to get ivic installed.
Any news on the ordeal anyways? Glad it wasn't your frame like you suspected

Last edited by XxGoKoUxX; 04-05-14 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-05-14, 03:59 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Also glad to hear everyone is OK. This is not the first I have head about the DWS blowing out, I have blown a few on potholes as have a few people I know. Weak sidewalls for sure.
Old 04-05-14, 08:59 PM
RedlexGs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pot holes in the in the city is the worst
Old 04-05-14, 10:31 PM
XxGoKoUxX

I've hit some pretty gnarly potholes in the city and highway, I've gotta say, with air, it literally feels like you flick a rubber yoga ball. You don't feel anything and it have that BOING noise that sounds funny HA!

So far though, I'm enjoying the long life of my DWS tires!
Old 04-06-14, 07:08 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks guys.

See the Toyota dealer for that oil change though. Lexus dealer=$91.00, Toyota Dealer = $37.00 FTW!! .
Old 04-06-14, 10:48 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

DWS tires have their own hazard warranty. I forget how long.

My DWS tires aren't wearing too well. I've got less than 10k miles on this set, and already down from 11/32 down to 8.5/32 . I'll be lucky to get even 30k out of this set.
I don't drive hard, and I rotate them every 5k.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad day.