GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My First Lexus (bought today) - Lots of Issues (2006 GS430)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 06:25 PM
striderg3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My First Lexus (bought today) - Lots of Issues (2006 GS430)

good evening lexus owners,

Lexus Gs430. [90500mi] - clean title - clean carfax.

my check engine light is on and the Yellow indicator with exclamation mark also on (Brake System Warning Light (yellow) and the TRAC light is also on (suggesting that traction is OFF) --> all 3 of these are related to the code: P0430

aside from that the Tire Pressure light is also blinking at me constantly.
aside from that the Check VSC is also displaying.
aside from that the RED traingle exclamation light also blinks (slowly - sometimes stays on - sometimes doesn't)
aside from that the AFS OFF light is also constantly blinking

I drove a car home after the previous owners mechanic cleared the CEL
The check engine light and the TRAC light and the light beside Check engine were all gone until about 90-100miles of driving. Then all 3 returned together.

IF my issue was a bad Catalytic converter(s) / leak(s) in exhaust / bad O2 sensor(s) - which one of these is most likely to be ruled out since the CEL didn't come back (after clearing) until over an hour of driving / city and highway...

which issue do I ignore and which do I address?
The only code the car has given out is:
P0430 Lexus - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2

I noticed the car is fine while driving.
I noticed the cruising range it gave me is actually exceeding the cruising range by a few miles.
But now that the check engine light is on again, maybe my gas mileage will take a hit. yes IT DID

So I checked the GAS CAP as most people keep saying all over the forums for the check VSC.
My Gas cap and the ring around it both seem to be okay.
But you never know, maybe this could be an issue.

Which of the lights can I fix via DIY or Indy shop?
Which light has to be taken the LEXUS . toyota to fix / reprogram. don't normal shops have these computers to reprogram stuff?

thanks in advance for any replies and guidance.

The lexus dealership that maintained the car (while under warranty) said if you aren't the same owner who owned it when the work was done, then you can't find out jack from them.

No open recalls (confirmed)
i feel helpless with the light show going on on my dashboard.. all different colors of lights flashing.. red.. yellow.. amber.. orange.. -__-
should I try removing power to the battery to reset ECU?
or try removing a fuse or two?

I haven't done anything as of yet.
started googling and joined up here.
Attached Thumbnails My First Lexus (bought today) - Lots of Issues (2006 GS430)-34.jpg   My First Lexus (bought today) - Lots of Issues (2006 GS430)-12.jpg  

Last edited by striderg3; 03-27-14 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 06:42 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Check System = Either the button under the dash for the wheel set is in the wrong position for the wheels that are installed, or the wheels do not have TPMS sensors at all (do they have metal valves?), or the sensor batteries in one or more wheels are dead and need replacing. The red triangle is probably just due to this not a separate thing.

Catalyst Efficiency... could be rear o2 sensor, or could be catalytic converter - if converter... big money. My bet is that it won't pass emissions for the seller because it needs a converter and he knows it so he chose to sell and make it someone elses problem who doesn't know how much those suckers cost. The Check VSC thing comes on whenever there is an error code logged it is probably due to this code and not related to something else. Then there is the problem about why the car already needs a new converter, what ruined it? Is the car engine running too hot, is it running very rich, is it misfiring etc.

AFS light means there is a problem with the AFS system, either the sensors are broken, the motor(s) are broken, etc. Again, this is probably a big money thing to correct unless you find a deal on junkyard headlight assemblies that have AFS. And again, one has to wonder what screwed the AFS up in the first place ... unfortunately my first feeling here is ... unreported car accident that was just barely repaired enough under the table to make it "look ok".

The trac light always being on is something I have never seen, again though it is the kind of thing I feel might be a good candidate for getting damaged in a collision and was never repaired properly.

Maybe you should have asked more questions BEFORE buying it? Anyway it won't hurt to take the negative off the battery for a while to reset things but I highly doubt that will fix anything - surely that is the first thing that panicked owners do whenever anything starts acting up and chances are you wouldn't have been the first person to give it a shot.

The first thing you need to do is take it to a shop to address the logged DTC about catalyst efficiency, get that diagnosed and see where you stand from there. The rest of the stuff won't keep you from passing emissions but any check engine light will fail you instantly and thus you have no car to drive at all. Chances of many small mom and pop or chain shops knowing what to do with the trac/afs system are slim, you may want to try a toyota dealership that isn't affiliated or shared ownership with a lexus dealership. I am telling you now though to be forewarned about the news you will get when you get everything diagnosed because if it would have been cheap to fix I guarantee you that the prior owner would have fixed these things before attempting to sell the car.

Also, you are aware that you are running the car on no gas.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 03-25-14 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 07:47 PM
kamileon
Driver School Candidate

Well congrats on the GS430. Dont think buying a luxury car with high mileage and problems was a good idea but at least you didnt buy a BMW or MB so you should be able to afford the repairs on lexus.
First, do you hear an exhaust leak from the beginning of the mid pipe? if so then that is big money, if its not leaking, remove the heat shield asap from the midpipe because they store salt and corrode the pipe.
Second, you probably need a Bank 2 cat, your lucky that the 430 engine has bolt on cat and is not part of the manifold like the gs300 and gs350. You could get one from ROCKAUTO.com for under $200 or get one from dealership for over $1000. I suggest replacing both cats and using premium fuel. And stop driving on EMPTYYYYY!
Third, ignore the flashing tpms, that is a broken tire sensor and ignore the afs. vsc comes on with check engine usually.
Old 03-25-14, 08:21 PM
striderg3
Rookie

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Check System = Either the button under the dash for the wheel set is in the wrong position for the wheels that are installed, or the wheels do not have TPMS sensors at all (do they have metal valves?), or the sensor batteries in one or more wheels are dead and need replacing. The red triangle is probably just due to this not a separate thing.

Catalyst Efficiency... could be rear o2 sensor, or could be catalytic converter - if converter... big money. My bet is that it won't pass emissions for the seller because it needs a converter and he knows it so he chose to sell and make it someone elses problem who doesn't know how much those suckers cost. The Check VSC thing comes on whenever there is an error code logged it is probably due to this code and not related to something else. Then there is the problem about why the car already needs a new converter, what ruined it? Is the car engine running too hot, is it running very rich, is it misfiring etc.

AFS light means there is a problem with the AFS system, either the sensors are broken, the motor(s) are broken, etc. Again, this is probably a big money thing to correct unless you find a deal on junkyard headlight assemblies that have AFS. And again, one has to wonder what screwed the AFS up in the first place ... unfortunately my first feeling here is ... unreported car accident that was just barely repaired enough under the table to make it "look ok".

The trac light always being on is something I have never seen, again though it is the kind of thing I feel might be a good candidate for getting damaged in a collision and was never repaired properly.

Maybe you should have asked more questions BEFORE buying it? Anyway it won't hurt to take the negative off the battery for a while to reset things but I highly doubt that will fix anything - surely that is the first thing that panicked owners do whenever anything starts acting up and chances are you wouldn't have been the first person to give it a shot.

The first thing you need to do is take it to a shop to address the logged DTC about catalyst efficiency, get that diagnosed and see where you stand from there. The rest of the stuff won't keep you from passing emissions but any check engine light will fail you instantly and thus you have no car to drive at all. Chances of many small mom and pop or chain shops knowing what to do with the trac/afs system are slim, you may want to try a toyota dealership that isn't affiliated or shared ownership with a lexus dealership. I am telling you now though to be forewarned about the news you will get when you get everything diagnosed because if it would have been cheap to fix I guarantee you that the prior owner would have fixed these things before attempting to sell the car.

Also, you are aware that you are running the car on no gas.

Hey,
thanks for the quick reply. Cool that you are also in Toronto.

I checked for button under the dash but mine is actually inside the dash (when you open it) and its trunk open switch. doesn't look like the one in the book.
and they are not metal valves. Black like normal tires have. These are a winter set. He gave me a summer set of tires with no rims.
Maybe one of the previous owners sold the TPMS sensors or took them out cuz they got annoying while switching tires every year?
How many PSI do those things take btw to be set off? <-- curious

So here's how I take the LED show is linked.

The CEL and the Yellow one beside it + TRAC light all came on together.
This happened with me once in my first car. 2004 Nissan Maxima. BUT that was the ABS actuator that was malfunctioning due to corroded abs sensors in the rear brake hubs. So that would show I believe 4 lights on my dash in total. I'm trying to recall which ones but I know the one for Traction was also set off as a result of this ABS sensor malfunctioning.
I know that malfunction should be making a noise when you touch the brakes because I have witnessed the problem in my nissan.
with this car however, i hear an abs pump / actuator (maybe???) sometimes after you turn the car on / start driving / start braking / turn it off that makes a mechanical noise (muffled) like I would hear in my 03 mercedes e500.

so im not concerned that the Check engine is making 2 other lights appear as I guess this is how these systems work / are linked.

How do I check if its the o2 sensor? - I found the converter themselves for about a 4 hundred for both sides. How much would labor cost?
The person who has posted below says the ones in my car are bolt on? that would be a relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

The check vsc was on even after he reset the CEL light.. Would this be because the TPMS was on? OR because the AFS was on? does anyone else with either of these lights on also get the CHECK VSC light is my question??

A mechanic said a client of his had this issue on a different lexus. and he said it was a sensor that needed to be reprogrammed or adjusted in the steering column or below it / something? i can't recall his exact words. he said take it to lexus they'll charge 1/2-1 hour labour and fix it using their computer.

Is there a way to turn of TPMS altogether? since the tires don't have the sensors now - what's the point?
THE AFS does make the lamps swivel up / down when the car turns out and they do a self test or whatever that is.
I turn the steering while in (D) with foot on brake and turn the steering a bit, no movement of either lamps... Guess the system has a break in it somewhere..

I had the car up on a hoist. checked belts.. checked the cv joints and whatnot and the factory seams in the trunk to make sure it hasn't been rear ended.
ill get a professionals opinion and get back to you about it. hopefully it isn't an accidental car.... i got a carproof even though he provided the copy from when he bought the car..
The lines around the cars body panels line up perfectly even after 13 years and 140,000km..

i read someone posted they removed their battery terminal on their lexus and the power windows stopped working..after reconnect.. does the car need any sort of registration after the battery is reconnected / ECU resets?

this reminds me.. my rear passenger button (on drivers panel) doesn't make the window go up/ down. The other 3 work around the car.
This one however isn't working and the window IS functioning properly from its own button in the rear passenger door.

do you know any reputable shops I can take it to that would know how to diagnose if its the CAT converter (left / right one) properly? (like by actually measuring the temperature or voltage readings of the O2 sensos?)

THE CAR DRIVES AWESOME... EVEN WITH THE LOW TREAD ON THE WINTERS.. I'M IMPRESSED.
I think a shock / strut needs replacing. i hear odd creaking noises when going over bumps slowly.
and do any of your dashboards also make random noises when driving on a rough road?
loose plastics i suppose? maybe the dash was taken out to clear our water i hear gets stored in some behind the dash.

thanks for your reply.
Old 03-25-14, 08:31 PM
striderg3
Rookie

Originally Posted by kamileon
Well congrats on the GS430. Dont think buying a luxury car with high mileage and problems was a good idea but at least you didnt buy a BMW or MB so you should be able to afford the repairs on lexus.
First, do you hear an exhaust leak from the beginning of the mid pipe? if so then that is big money, if its not leaking, remove the heat shield asap from the midpipe because they store salt and corrode the pipe.
Second, you probably need a Bank 2 cat, your lucky that the 430 engine has bolt on cat and is not part of the manifold like the gs300 and gs350. You could get one from ROCKAUTO.com for under $200 or get one from dealership for over $1000. I suggest replacing both cats and using premium fuel. And stop driving on EMPTYYYYY!
Third, ignore the flashing tpms, that is a broken tire sensor and ignore the afs. vsc comes on with check engine usually.

yes this is true. The only reason I went with is because I have experienced random electrical / electro-mechanical issues on Japanses / German cars I have owned in the past.
Most are sensors / ****ty design flaws in the parts that cause either catastrophic failiure in some cases / or more widespread minor failures in others.
and in some cases. BOTH..

An exhaust leak is something I don't hear. A hear a light hum of the V8 when I accelerate. even upon light acceleration i hear that V8 humming. this is something I never heard in my e500 unless it was pushed. there was never that deep growl this car makes.. lol hopefully this isn't a hole in the exhaust???? ill have it inspected. and thanks for heads up on the shield. I'll have this checked also tomorrow.

the previous owner did say he was running the car on a mixed setup of gasoline...
so i know this is mainly why most of the things are happening at this point.
i took the gas tank to EMPTY and then filled it with 91 octane. bloody 94 costs $1.55/L
die company's netting billions on a monthly basis

would VFS come on because of AFS / TPMS?
because it was on even when the check engine and other two weren't...
and now I recently started seeing the CHECK SYSTEM ALSO since the check engine came on.
Old 03-25-14, 08:32 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

At least you didn't buy European, you'd be worse off with all those dash lights on.
Old 03-25-14, 09:27 PM
striderg3
Rookie

Originally Posted by islandbeef
At least you didn't buy European, you'd be worse off with all those dash lights on.
yes im quite glad i didn't either.
I was about to. But I stayed away.
This car drives quite well.
I have found out how to tell if the Gas shocks / struts are gone bad.
Found a TSB on it.

Is a Toyota Dealership able to do work (via computers) on this car the same way a lexus dealer is?
as in (can they reprogram and upgrade ecu's / flash / disable stuff etc)
Old 03-26-14, 04:11 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by striderg3
yes im quite glad i didn't either.
I was about to. But I stayed away.
This car drives quite well.
I have found out how to tell if the Gas shocks / struts are gone bad.
Found a TSB on it.

Is a Toyota Dealership able to do work (via computers) on this car the same way a lexus dealer is?
as in (can they reprogram and upgrade ecu's / flash / disable stuff etc)
They have the same techs, tools, and resources. The only thing you need a lexus dealership for is warranty work and cookies. I have personally found most of the lexus dealerships in Toronto to be arseholes that don't want to help, with techs that suck and give you one wrong diagnosis after another though.
Old 03-26-14, 05:04 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

You can view the cars history by going here http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home and registering. Once you are registered put in the cars VIN and you should be able to see all service records from Lexus on your car.

Also what you should have done in order to save you a bunch of headaches was to get a pre purchase inspection done by an ASE MASTER certified technician. HUGE difference between a master technician and the mechanic that most likely was not a master tech or else he probably would have caught more of the issues with this car. Just something to keep in mind next time you buy another used car.
Old 03-26-14, 09:56 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I don't want to be 'that guy,' but I'm concerned that this car might be a little above your head if you could barely afford one *with* all of these rather substantial issues. May have been best to save a bit longer for one with little to no issues.
The following users liked this post:
Idorablo (11-14-20)
Old 03-26-14, 11:10 AM
TexGS450
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read on one of the Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon forums that the tpms cannot be disabled. The reason was TPMS is has become mandatory. I too and dealing with the flashing TPMS light which came on after I installed aftermarket rims and the shop didn't swap the stems so i don't have any sensors. Now i did have a tire repaired at Walmart and the tech some how got the light to turn off, but it eventually came back on.
Old 03-26-14, 12:35 PM
Chidude23
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same prob on my 430 p0420 p0430 wont go away it started at 78k took it to the dealer and they told me it was the y-pipe(I think they should have replaced it under the 8 year/80 emissions warranty but didn't ) . Then took it to a muffler shop, it had rusted out from the stupid heat shield had them cut off a piece of the y-pipe and replace those holes and gaskets, it fixed the problem but now at 95k it came back. And I notice the car driving some times like I'm losing power. I'm about to change the downstream sensor and I hope this works. Ill keep you posted and I hope this fix's the problem.
Old 03-26-14, 12:36 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I don't want to be 'that guy,' but I'm concerned that this car might be a little above your head if you could barely afford one *with* all of these rather substantial issues. May have been best to save a bit longer for one with little to no issues.
LOL there is always that segment of the population who would rather have an old luxury make with lots of problems instead of a brand new Hyundai or whatever for the same money... it's up to them, though I do wonder how they afford to keep them on the road sometimes.
Old 03-26-14, 05:17 PM
striderg3
Rookie

Originally Posted by Diesel350
You can view the cars history by going here http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home and registering. Once you are registered put in the cars VIN and you should be able to see all service records from Lexus on your car.

Also what you should have done in order to save you a bunch of headaches was to get a pre purchase inspection done by an ASE MASTER certified technician. HUGE difference between a master technician and the mechanic that most likely was not a master tech or else he probably would have caught more of the issues with this car. Just something to keep in mind next time you buy another used car.
thanks. ill keep this in mind.
when signing up, i can't seem to choose a Canadian City..
so how do I sign up? fake address?
Old 03-26-14, 05:20 PM
striderg3
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chidude23
I am having the same prob on my 430 p0420 p0430 wont go away it started at 78k took it to the dealer and they told me it was the y-pipe(I think they should have replaced it under the 8 year/80 emissions warranty but didn't ) . Then took it to a muffler shop, it had rusted out from the stupid heat shield had them cut off a piece of the y-pipe and replace those holes and gaskets, it fixed the problem but now at 95k it came back. And I notice the car driving some times like I'm losing power. I'm about to change the downstream sensor and I hope this works. Ill keep you posted and I hope this fix's the problem.
ill find out how my exhaust is doing..
my car is above 80k
sucks

Quick Reply: My First Lexus (bought today) - Lots of Issues (2006 GS430)