GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Vais bluetooth audio stream

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 09:42 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Would it stream music from Youtube? Not every car original Bluetooth streaming supports that
I believe that is more dependent on the phone. With android, if you can get any audio to stream, Youtube will work as well.
Old 03-31-14, 11:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigfox
How is it different from sl3i or mml?
sl3i and mml both requires cable connection. sl3i is analog audio, mml is digital audio. sl3b is BT connection so it's wireless. if you want charging with sl3b you will need to use usb of course

Would it stream music from Youtube? Not every car original Bluetooth streaming supports that
i can't say on sl3b (but i personally would expect the same), but on sl3i, you can open up youtube and play and it will play the sound
Old 03-31-14, 11:45 AM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Isn't the sound quality the same if both(cheap vs expensive) units are streaming through blue tooth? Or is the expensive one using some more high tech bt stream I don't know about?
Old 03-31-14, 12:33 PM
lex-ative
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Seasport
I have just installed the Sl3b in a LX470 (Gen 4 Nav). The sound is great - brilliant. So they got that right! I'm streaming from a Samsung Galaxy S3. I can use the phone as per normal and the audio bluetooth works right alongside it. Pairs every time.

If I use the built in media player I get song title and artist on the nav display and can use the steering wheel controls etc. I'm also streaming using Spotify and although I can use the steering wheel controls, it does not display artist and song title. No big deal for me. I can hear high quality music and use my phone to select playlists.
Hey, thanks so much for your reply. Interesting....so you get song text via the native app (I assume Google play music?). That would be a plus for me to 'upgrade'.....

Last question: How is the sound compared to, say, a regular CD? On the BT35, the sound is good, but I notice the sound is still 'fuller' with CD. More punch to lows. Via Bluetooth, I have to increase the bass a bit on the radio to match same track via CD as far as quality. Does this seem to sound pretty close to CD quality? I know there is no replacement for a direct connection, but while I am quite ok with the BT35 (it works, gets the job done, plays good), if this sounds better with the Vais, I may give it a shot....

I also have the Gen4 btw.
Old 03-31-14, 04:25 PM
Seasport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by energie8
Isn't the sound quality the same if both(cheap vs expensive) units are streaming through blue tooth? Or is the expensive one using some more high tech bt stream I don't know about?
No. Bluetooth has been evolving over the last few years and the latest versions of Bluetooth (V3 & V4) are much better than previous versions. Look around at all the bluetooth speakers that are out there now. Looks like Vais Tech have used a high quality Bluetooth chipset.
Old 03-31-14, 05:00 PM
Seasport
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lex-ative
Hey, thanks so much for your reply. Interesting....so you get song text via the native app (I assume Google play music?). That would be a plus for me to 'upgrade'.....

Last question: How is the sound compared to, say, a regular CD? On the BT35, the sound is good, but I notice the sound is still 'fuller' with CD. More punch to lows. Via Bluetooth, I have to increase the bass a bit on the radio to match same track via CD as far as quality. Does this seem to sound pretty close to CD quality? I know there is no replacement for a direct connection, but while I am quite ok with the BT35 (it works, gets the job done, plays good), if this sounds better with the Vais, I may give it a shot....

I also have the Gen4 btw.
OK. I did an A/B comparison with CD vs Vais SL3b Bluetooth. Yes the CD does sound fuller with better bass. But there are a few variables here. I used Spotfiy offline in extreme quality (320 Kbps). I also used MP3 at 192 Kbps for the same song. I think the Spotify version sounded a bit better than the MP3 - but the CD was, as expected, the best.

So I guess if you are after the very best quality then CD is the way to go. Whether the sl3b will sound better than the BT35 is a hard call. Maybe not. However, the sound quality is pretty good and the convenience of not hooking up any wires is great. I like the sl3b because I can still use my standard BT phone interface.

I was using the standard Samsung Music Player and yes the song title and artist shows on the Nav screen (but not with Spotify).
Old 04-04-14, 03:16 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Just got my unit today, took me about an hour to install as I was going with extreme care. Love the unit quality is superb, to me it sounds like cd quality. Installation was straight forward with easy step by step instructions. It pairs flawlessly and I would highly suggest it to anyone wanting bt streaming on the lexus. Text appears accurately on the screen as expected. They are having a sale on the website $20-$30 off now, which is basically free s&h.

For Oem Dash removal DIY
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...y-removal.html
Attached Thumbnails Vais bluetooth audio stream-image-347240246.jpg   Vais bluetooth audio stream-image-3221353871.jpg   Vais bluetooth audio stream-image-1216090092.jpg   Vais bluetooth audio stream-image-1746704302.jpg  

Last edited by GS350Lexus; 04-05-14 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-04-14, 09:02 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Just got my unit today, took me about an hour to install as I was going with extreme care. Love the unit quality is superb, to me it sounds like cd quality. Installation was straight forward with easy step by step instructions. It pairs flawlessly and I would highly suggest it to anyone wanting bt streaming on the lexus. Text appears accurately on the screen as expected. They are having a sale on the website $20-$30 off now, which is basically free s&h.
You've beaten me to it.... I was going to say for any future installers, use a towel on your shift ****, I didn't and there's now a mark on my radio (a little chipped paint that NO ONE EVER notices but I do). It's around the gunmetal part of the bezel

Last edited by XxGoKoUxX; 04-05-14 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-05-14, 12:24 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Does the entire radio/nav pop right out? How the hell did you get the console trim out? I've had mine up a few times, but I never got it all the way out. Maybe I didn't yank hard enough lol.
Old 04-05-14, 11:52 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

it does schmexus, it takes quite a bit of force last time I tried lol
Old 04-07-14, 08:44 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Make sure to remove all 4 bolts from the whole unit, refer to my DIY link.
Old 04-07-14, 09:44 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Make sure to remove all 4 bolts from the whole unit, refer to my DIY link.
Ah, skipped right over that link. Thanks for the info. It will come in handy.
Old 09-22-14, 06:57 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Installed mine on Friday. It took about 45 minutes to install. If you get this, make sure you follow the instructions on page 6 to sync the device to your car...

I have both Samsung and Iphone and I think it works better with the Samsung. I mainly use Pandora for music. With the Samsung, I can open Pandora and start playing it right away. With the iPhone, I have to have at least 2 play list setup. This is how the device loads the iPhone. Every time I connect my iphone, i have to wait for it to sync up with the play list and then open Pandora

the sound quality is great. Its just as good as the toyota ipod interface hard wire. I like how there is a USB port to connect a USB extension cable. This allows me to charge both my devices. I ran the extension table into my center console and have a iPhone and Samsung cable in there.

If you dont have the plastic tool kit to remove the unit, don't waste your money. I just used two credit cards and the unit came out real easily.

Last edited by pqn628; 09-22-14 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-22-14, 07:13 AM
fifaref2
Driver School Candidate

Good info. Following
Old 09-22-14, 02:13 PM
jli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pqn628
Installed mine on Friday. It took about 45 minutes to install. If you get this, make sure you follow the instructions on page 6 to sync the device to your car...

I have both Samsung and Iphone and I think it works better with the Samsung. I mainly use Pandora for music. With the Samsung, I can open Pandora and start playing it right away. With the iPhone, I have to have at least 2 play list setup. This is how the device loads the iPhone. Every time I connect my iphone, i have to wait for it to sync up with the play list and then open Pandora

the sound quality is great. Its just as good as the toyota ipod interface hard wire. I like how there is a USB port to connect a USB extension cable. This allows me to charge both my devices. I ran the extension table into my center console and have a iPhone and Samsung cable in there.

If you dont have the plastic tool kit to remove the unit, don't waste your money. I just used two credit cards and the unit came out real easily.

Hello pgn628, thanks for the info. Does the kit come with the extension usb cable or i have to buy it separately?

Quick Reply: Vais bluetooth audio stream