GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New tires: Continental Control Contact Sport (w/ pics)

Old 04-27-14, 04:21 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a set after I got 25k out a set of Michelin Pilot SS because one of the tire stores said they were the best A/S tires out and we're even better than the PSS I was replacing....well after 5000 miles on the dot...I was so unimpressed with the noise and traction in the rain I sold them for less than half of what I paid and went back to what I know and trust...Michelin...but went with the Pilot AS3...almost as good as my PSS...love them!!
Old 04-27-14, 09:25 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
I've put 50k on the tires and it's quite noisy. Last I check the DWS indicator on the tread still showing too.

think I will try other tires after this. I think this DWS have too much grip, I get only 22mpg.
Mine's aren't noisy at all, or maybe I'm just negligent of it.... I guess I gotta give it another 25kish before I can give you feedback on mine's .

You're using the PureContacts too? These are suppose to be comparable to the Michelin MXM4 or MXV4 or something like that.... They're touring tires w/ DWS capabilities.

Originally Posted by alchemist
or your foot is too heavy
LOL.... agreed, these tires are suppose to be low rolling resistance tires.

Originally Posted by Ironman50
I have Conti DWS tire. Love this tire in rain and snow. Great grip on dry pavement. Only complaint is a litle loud especially on dry highway driving.
It gets a tiny bit noisy during low mph driving, like 5-15ish... any higher it gets quieter to me.
Old 04-28-14, 10:59 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ how many DWS are there? I thought it's only ONE.

Anyway, just check again and yes all 3 letters are still showing nice and clear.

I like quiet ride. Even turning on the fan is noisy. Anyway we can replace these fan with something quiet? Slow speed I can roll down my window, but high speed and hot sunny weather is sux without the fan or AC going.

And when window roll down I can hear the tire more especially when I pass a park car or some wall that reflects the sound.
Old 05-28-14, 03:30 AM
Iknowspurg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have a set of control contact from discount tire. I hate them. They are to soft and are not firm or have a sporty fell IMO. I had the Michelin had the A/S 3 and loved them even though they did last as long.

I'm going to take him back and find a different set of tires. I told the guy at discount tire that these tires had an SL load rating on them and I will be back in 2 weeks to get another set.

The Michelins are just so expensive.
Old 05-28-14, 10:31 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Those tires look meaty and in good shape
Old 08-27-14, 08:04 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

added update up top...
Old 08-27-14, 06:23 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the DW version and its pretty solid and smooth! a lot better on wet than my old Kumho tires, but I just got these recently but so far so good.
Old 08-28-14, 11:42 PM
alSpeed2k
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, DW and DWS are different. The former is a summer tire, the latter an A/S.
Old 09-09-14, 10:37 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys just checking in as I just purchased the new set of Conti's control sport a/s. I was able to do some cross shopping and they agreed to $860 out the door and the young gent who helped me highly recommended these over the Michelin's sport A/S 3. The reason I was swayed was the fact he had them on his car now and offered not only the price match but a 30 day trial if I don't like them and exchange them for the Michelin's. I declined the tire insurance so that quote doesn't include that. But on par a pretty solid deal.

Conti's
$860 "out the door"( no tire insurance)
50k warranty
30 day trial
Free prorated road hazard

I'll be sure to update these tires when I have some miles on them. My driving habits aren't aggressive except for the occasional spirited cornering now and then but for the most part I'm easy. These will be used 90% around our city and will be logging about 12k a year on them. This is my wife's daily driver so she's not aggressive at all.
My only concern is winter rains here. Hopefully they hold IP well.
Regards.
Old 09-12-14, 07:33 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Contemplating getting these as I am going to put new tires on the car today.
Old 09-12-14, 11:35 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Contemplating getting these as I am going to put new tires on the car today.
Well having done some 350 miles on them in a short period of time I've been impressed. Based on butt dyno/ear meter they seemed quiet. But that alone didn't convince me as I then took to a sound meter(smart tool co) phone app via Google. This is what I found on my morning commute.
At idle the phone measured inside the cabin off a country road away from the freeway 38-40db.
On smoothed paved roads traveling 70 mph they were excellent with a average reading at ear level 66-69 db with occasional spikes in tire noise when going over concrete bridge overpasses that one would find over local creeks which measured 72-74 db.
Putting the sound meter app against the windshield/dashboard it measured an average of 73 db.
Going down a concrete Fwy marked with lines only contributed 8 db difference from a smoothed newly paved asphalt road of 66db and 74 db respectively. You'll also hear the occasional slap when it goes over tar band aided roads. Certainly not the fault of the tire. The closest I can compare this tire to ironically enough is the Michelson's Defenders that I have on my Toyota Sienna. Both on the same route as I travel back & forth to work some 4k miles a month have almost the same sound over each area.
Grip is SOLID in these tires and they plant themselves onto the road. They are so well planted, not to be confused with "sticky" they give excellent response to the steering wheel allowing one to feel the weight of the front end. The steering wheel has absolutely no play unlike a bald tire which I had. These tires help you stay in your lane and give a sense of confidence that if you looked down at your arm tray or something it won't float you over to another lane. Per tire racks advice one should travel 500 miles in one before judging them.
When I first got these I thought they were rather hard but now these have loosened up a bit I'm liming them a lot.
Dry grip 5**** is excellent but cornering a little more than spirited was not so confidence inspiring. But for daily mixed & city while following all speed limits posted these will be very good.
May I suggest to anyone considering these tires or any for that matter to ask for a twenty mile road test with a return if you don't like it and to do this test at NIGHT. This will eliminate many a ambient sound and will let you better listen to the tires on your vehicle.

I'll update this at 5k miles.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 09-12-14 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 01:33 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Well having done some 350 miles on them in a short period of time I've been impressed. Based on butt dyno/ear meter they seemed quiet. But that alone didn't convince me as I then took to a sound meter(smart tool co) phone app via Google. This is what I found.
At idle the phone measured inside the cabin off a country road away from the freeway 38-40db.
On smoothed paved roads traveling 70 mph they were excellent with a average reading at ear level 66-69 db with occasional spikes in tire noise when going over concrete bridge overpasses that one would find over local creeks which measured 72-74 db.
Putting the sound meter app against the windshield/dashboard it measured an average of 73 db.
Going down a concrete Fwy marked with lines only contributed 8 db difference from a smoothed newly paved asphalt road of 66db and 74 db respectively. You'll also hear the occasional slap when it goes over tar band aided roads. Certainly not the fault of the tire. The closest I can compare this tire to ironically enough is the Michelson's Defenders that I have on my Toyota Sienna. Both on the same route as I travel back & forth to work some 4k miles a month have almost the same sound over each area.
Grip is SOLID in these tires and they plant themselves onto the road. They are so well planted, not to be confused with "sticky" they give excellent response to the steering wheel allowing one to feel the weight of the front end. The steering wheel has absolutely no play unlike a bald tire which I had. These tires help you stay in your lane and give a sense of confidence that if you looked down at your arm tray or something it won't float you over to another lane. Per tire racks advice one should travel 500 miles in one before judging them.
When I first got these I thought they were rather hard but now these have loosened up a bit I'm liming them a lot.
Dry grip 5**** is excellent but cornering a little more than spirited was not so confidence inspiring. But for daily mixed & city while following all speed limits posted these will be very good.

I'll update this at 5k miles.
I appreciate the update! I just returned home from Discount Tire with new Continental Control Contact Sports. The gentleman at the register was able to get them for me for $830 out the door, which was quite pleasing. I've only gone a couple of miles, but so far so good. They're not quite as firm feeling as the Goodyear Eagle GT's that were on the car previously, but seeing as how the roads where I live aren't the greatest, that isn't such a bad thing. Will report back after 5k miles.
Old 09-12-14, 06:37 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I appreciate the update! I just returned home from Discount Tire with new Continental Control Contact Sports. The gentleman at the register was able to get them for me for $830 out the door, which was quite pleasing. I've only gone a couple of miles, but so far so good. They're not quite as firm feeling as the Goodyear Eagle GT's that were on the car previously, but seeing as how the roads where I live aren't the greatest, that isn't such a bad thing. Will report back after 5k miles.
Awesome! $830!! That's so cool. OK definitely report back. Cheers!
Old 01-06-15, 08:29 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Finally replacing my Conti Purecontact DWS with Conti Purecontact with Ecoplus. Look like this new one is DWS too. It does have the DWS imprinted on the tread.

1st thing I notice is going over bumps. Much more quiet and softer. Than I reach the highway, it does feel the car is "speedy". I don't think I am bias but I could be. It just seem to have less drag, could be the ecoplus thing. But than it has been a long time since the old DWS were at full tread. I am kinda comparing a full tread Ecoplus to an almost balled DWS.

DWS is warranty for 50k miles... this Ecoplus is warranty for 70k. This is the main seller for me trying out this tire. I can surely live without the rough ride over bumps. As for cornering, Tirerack said it need a few miles to worn out the protective layer, beside my state currently coated the road and ready for the snow.

Any1 else uses this Ecoplus? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lus+Technology

Last edited by worker; 01-06-15 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-17-15, 06:04 AM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On January 2nd I was on my way to work and as I drove out of my garage I could feel something was wrong with a tire. Get out and sure enough the front passenger tire is flat. Luckily it took air so I pumped it up with my emergency pump and drove to discount tire to get the flat fixed. The guy comes back in and says the tires only have 3/32nds left and they really can't be repaired. The Conti ControlContact Sport AS tires were in stock so I went with them. The awesome thing is he gave me $55 credit for each tire (Michelin Primacy MX4) since I only got about 40,000 miles out of them. I was out the door with four brand new tires and the discount tire certificates for less than $500.

So far the ControlContact Sport AS tires have been good. The first week the new tires drove weird. But all new tires do that. And it was raining so hard to judge the new tire based on conditions. The second week they've settled in a bit and drive nice. I haven't noticed an increase in road noise.

But props to discount tire. I've been buying my tires from there for a couple of rounds for my cars and won't go anywhere else. The one right around the corner from my house has awesome customer service. I just wish they had wifi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New tires: Continental Control Contact Sport (w/ pics)