GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

AWD Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 02:48 PM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default AWD Worth it?

looking into getting a AWD 350, now I live in the northeast some winter are better than others, I read the the awd is a 30/70 split, or should I just stick to a rear wheel drive with winter tires? pros and cons of the AWD from experience, thanks
Old 03-12-14, 04:46 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

awd in the northeast is almost mandatory,rear wheal is for those who have a winter beater
Old 03-12-14, 04:55 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

It's personal preference, if you can survive without AWD I'd recommend it, for the fact that if you mod the car, AWD will not enjoy it too much.

If you really need/want AWD, plan to keep it 100% stock, i'd totally recommend it, as it's a great choice.
Old 03-12-14, 05:35 PM
promethus7
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What verly said
Old 03-12-14, 05:44 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't see the point of getting an AWD, when winter usually lasts no more than 2 months. The remaining 10 months you are driving with 0 benefits. The RWD with winter tires is like a tank in snow. When I had my RWD, I used to drive in deep snow and even blizzard conditions, never got stuck.
Old 03-12-14, 05:45 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would take the utility of my AWD over fast and furious styles any day.
Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I don't see the point of getting an AWD, when winter usually lasts no more than 2 months. The remaining 10 months you are driving with 0 benefits. The RWD with winter tires is like a tank in snow. When I had my RWD, I used to drive in deep snow and even blizzard conditions, never got stuck.
Wow, so this AWD business is basically useless because you never got stuck and you drove in deep snow and blizzards in this place where winter lasts 2 months. Don't know where winter only lasts 2 months, it has been going for 5 months here and just today got a boatload of snow dumped on me again.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 03-12-14 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-12-14, 05:57 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay

Wow, so this AWD business is basically useless because you never got stuck and you drove in deep snow and blizzards in this place where winter lasts 2 months. Don't know where winter only lasts 2 months, it has been going for 5 months here and just today got a boatload of snow dumped on me again.
Yes, if a person does not know how to drive a RWD in snow, then AWD is what he needs.
I'm in New York by the way. The first big snows we get are in January and by end of February the winter is over.
Old 03-12-14, 06:59 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

the thing is the gs is a beutiful car and to keep it that way keep it out of the snow, in ct we get hamered every year ,i also have a rear wheal rx7 twin turbo but i would not try driving it in the snow wheather i had tank tires on ,but im not going to get into a bashing match ,what ever your preferance you like go for it , if your a little weary of the snow in new england i would go for awd,if you like power go for rear wheal
Old 03-12-14, 07:02 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

If you plan on lowering the car then you may not want AWD, it can be done but if you go to low it will vibrate. I have an AWD and love it but I live in a hilly area that gets snow for more than two months (It's snowing right now).

I don't care what type of tires you have, if you have to stop on a step hill because some idiot gets stuck you will wish you had AWD. At the end of the day its a personal choice but consider the type of roads you typically drive on.
Old 03-12-14, 07:37 PM
RYKR
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BinaryJay

I live in Toronto as well, but my GS460 with MIchelin x-ice xi3 winter tires did fine in the snow today. All you need is some common sense, drive at a comfortable pace with plenty of space in front and pay attention to other drivers around you. For the 4-5 months we do get heavy snow once in a while, but most of the time the roads are fairly dry, so for me it's not worth it. IMO a GS doesn't feel like a GS if it's not RWD.
Old 03-12-14, 08:04 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RYKR
I live in Toronto as well, but my GS460 with MIchelin x-ice xi3 winter tires did fine in the snow today. All you need is some common sense, drive at a comfortable pace with plenty of space in front and pay attention to other drivers around you. For the 4-5 months we do get heavy snow once in a while, but most of the time the roads are fairly dry, so for me it's not worth it. IMO a GS doesn't feel like a GS if it's not RWD.
The AWD puts 70% (+?) of the power to the rear wheels unless there is a loss of traction, it still drives mostly like RWD.

Originally Posted by YaMomma
If you plan on lowering the car then you may not want AWD, it can be done but if you go to low it will vibrate. I have an AWD and love it but I live in a hilly area that gets snow for more than two months (It's snowing right now).

I don't care what type of tires you have, if you have to stop on a step hill because some idiot gets stuck you will wish you had AWD. At the end of the day its a personal choice but consider the type of roads you typically drive on.
AWD does nothing for stopping.
Old 03-13-14, 02:32 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

whether you have awd or rwd, that doesnt negate the fact that you still need to know how to drive in snow. i had an awd version and i live in the northeast, though my part of the northeast does not see snow as bad as north of NY does (except maybe this year) and i barely saw any benefit to my awd. the rare occasions that i needed it, it did help but then again it was maybe 5-7 times out of the whole year. think of it this way, if it snows that bad, would you really be out driving in it?

knowing what i know now about the rwd vs awd (as far as modifying), i would pick rwd
Old 03-13-14, 03:29 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I can't remember if it was an AWD GS or IS, but the transmission tunnel and floor bulged out at the bottom siginficantly. Enough to where I had to kind of **** my right foot at a weird angle and rest it on the bulge to hit the accelerator. Anyways I found the intrusion really weird/awkward, enough to where I wouldn't buy one with AWD(of course I live in the south so AWD is dubious except maybe once or twice a year).
Old 03-13-14, 03:39 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The GS has that hump as well
Old 03-13-14, 04:48 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its the preference... I just got mine last week too.

I love my AWD handles pretty crazy. I mean I was only planning on bagging it, wheels, exhaust, and intake. You'll run into the mid-pipe problems where nobody makes one and just have to custom it (which is what I'm going to do). They do sell axle-backs for the AWD though .

so as far as mods the mid-pipe is my only issue. again its preference and your plans for mods.

Quick Reply: AWD Worth it?