GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Which Vaistech Model?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 03:49 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wireless freedom won out over the slight loss of audio quality since it is going in my RX330 thats does not even have the ML system. And I still have my indash CD incase a track or two are horrible on BT. I guess Im a sound snob lol.

I hope I don't need that software update that sprtdsgnGS needed since I just bought the unit yesterday. I will be dyna matting the rear this weekend as well in hopes to help out getting as full a sound as I can from stock system with BT until I upgrade..
Old 09-17-14, 04:06 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PWRSTEVE
No it bypasses it. So unless you want steering wheel controls there's not a huge incentive. But the sound quality is very clear.
The Grom has steering wheel controls.
Old 09-22-14, 01:23 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
you should contact vaistech to confirm, but from my understanding, the usb on the sl3b is only for charging. all the streaming is through BT
See manual at page 4

http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/Manual_SL3B.pdf

USB is for charging only.

Bluetooth technology supports more as one connection a time. SL3B paired with phone and phone paired with car is no issue.

I love the automated pressing of the I agree button as there are many buttons to press in a Lexus.
Old 10-20-14, 03:22 AM
jsibayan
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Vaistech,

I've been reading some of the comments on this thread, but has anyone installed the SL3B in a 2006 IS250 with Navigation and a factory bluetooth? If so, could you direct me to that thread. I'm curious on how it will work with the factory setup.
Old 02-13-15, 10:05 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

from what i have read here i am abit confused
so um do i have to choose weather i want my phone to work throught bluetooth for call and my bt to work for audio ?
like if one is connected with the other feature work also ?
i thought that you could only have 1 bt device at a time.
so if i have my BT for my Audio with the SL3B unit.
does that mean that when i am using it for audio that if i get a phone call i won't be able to use it for phone call over the hands free bt for the car ?
Old 02-13-15, 10:07 PM
Stoodo
Advanced

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
from what i have read here i am abit confused
so um do i have to choose weather i want my phone to work throught bluetooth for call and my bt to work for audio ?
like if one is connected with the other feature work also ?
i thought that you could only have 1 bt device at a time.
so if i have my BT for my Audio with the SL3B unit.
does that mean that when i am using it for audio that if i get a phone call i won't be able to use it for phone call over the hands free bt for the car ?
1. Go with GROM
2. If you phone is not 5 years old, yes you can have multiple BT devices connected.

Phone goes to the GS, BT audio to the GROM.
Old 02-14-15, 06:29 PM
justYnG
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the grom unit in my is300, it does sound great but you end up almost spending the same amount of money to get the BT function. i got my grom unit before the iphone 5 was released so i have to use a phone 4 to 5 converter to allow it to charge. the audio quality is really good, almost to good on a stock system. for my gs430 with the LM system im torn between the vaistech unit and grom, but im leaning more towards the vaistech system for some reason.
Old 02-14-15, 06:37 PM
Stoodo
Advanced

Originally Posted by justYnG
i have the grom unit in my is300, it does sound great but you end up almost spending the same amount of money to get the BT function. i got my grom unit before the iphone 5 was released so i have to use a phone 4 to 5 converter to allow it to charge. the audio quality is really good, almost to good on a stock system. for my gs430 with the LM system im torn between the vaistech unit and grom, but im leaning more towards the vaistech system for some reason.
The GROM BT3 is their bluetooth unit for cheaper. I purchased that after I sold my USB 2 version (because my 2011 HS had built in BT then 30 days later I traded it for the 450h)

As far as charging my phone, I use a separate charger since that's the only way to get high current charging. (GROM or vaistech)
Old 02-14-15, 06:50 PM
justYnG
Driver

Originally Posted by Stoodo
The GROM BT3 is their bluetooth unit for cheaper. I purchased that after I sold my USB 2 version (because my 2011 HS had built in BT then 30 days later I traded it for the 450h)

As far as charging my phone, I use a separate charger since that's the only way to get high current charging. (GROM or vaistech)
hmmm
you talking about this?
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/bt3_a...e_adapter.html
does it have text to screen with song titles or do i need the additional adapter like it says in the description
Old 02-14-15, 06:53 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

i did look at that and the grom unit for me is a good price but i don't like the fact that i have to use there microphone i unlike some people am happy with the sound quality of my Hands free calling and no one ever complains about not being able to hear or understand what i am saying.

and the main reason i got a car with the hands free speaker phone was so i didn/t have to have the little mic sticking out anymore like i had with my aftermarket radio in my old car.

for this reason i won't be going with the grom.

so im still back to the question i asked and maybe i don't understand your answer.
but my phone is a iphone 6
so if i go with the vais sl3b unit will i be able to use the BT audio and still keep the function of my BT hands free at the same time or will one not work whyll the other is turned on and linked ?
Old 02-14-15, 06:56 PM
Stoodo
Advanced

i did look at that and the grom unit for me is a good price but i don't like the fact that i have to use there microphone i unlike some people am happy with the sound quality of my Hands free calling and no one ever complains about not being able to hear or understand what i am saying.

and the main reason i got a car with the hands free speaker phone was so i didn/t have to have the little mic sticking out anymore like i had with my aftermarket radio in my old car.

for this reason i won't be going with the grom.

so im still back to the question i asked and maybe i don't understand your answer.
so if i go with the vais sl3b unit will i be able to use the BT audio and still keep the function of my BT hands free at the same time or will one not work whyll the other is turned on and linked ?
The mic for the GROM is still sealed in a cabinet somewhere. I use the Lexus hands free.

I have a BT connection for phone audio and a BT connection for media audio.
Old 02-14-15, 06:58 PM
justYnG
Driver

from what i understand you just choose which bluetooth device you want to use from your phone. you know when you receive a phone call there is button the screen to choose headset or speaker? well im pretty sure itll list all the connected devices and you just select which you prefer. the phone should remember what to use next time.

from what i remember when i installed my grom in my is300, the mic feature doesnt have to be used. you dont have to plug in the mic if you dont want to use it.
Old 02-14-15, 07:34 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

ah ok cool thanks guys
now how about the text on screen i mean playlists and music song text will it show all that info on my nav screen ?
can you show me a picture of what it actually looks like to look at your screen when using this ?
because the other thing is if i can't get all the audio play back and text on screen features that the vais tech unit has i mean that the SL3B has then it is also not an option for me to get the grom
Old 02-14-15, 08:28 PM
ka0bit0
Driver

How's it going fellas ! I was wondering if anyone has ever ran into issues using the mml with an iPhone 5 ?...I have an old iPhone 5 and was hoping to use that and a flash stick to play music. I currently have the gta kit, and it sucks.
Old 02-16-15, 07:18 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

ok so i went ahead and i got the vais tech SL3b new on ebay from a authorized vais tech retailer for 210.00
i just wanted to have the options that i wanted and choose the vais over the Grom unit.

what i am curious about is when i look ponlin at the manual on vais tech it has 3 options to connect it and its a little conffusing.
so i know MD means Mini Disc Player Emulation.
and CD Changer would be that.
BUt it also says something about MP3 option.
now my naviagation Unit on the head unit itself i think its near the tape deck it says on there MP3 player but there is no speicfic button to push that says MP3 player
i just see the AM/SAT FM CD Changer/Aux button.
even thought i don't see a specific button does this mean i don't have a MP3 capability ? or am i missing something here ?
im trying to figure out how to set it up
also i how does the head unit and vais unit know the different between CD changer 1 which would be the 6 disk cd changer and then the CD changer 2 which would be the vais unit ?
or do i loose one of the CD Options and it will only be a 5 disk CD changer and 1 of those 6 discs would then turn into the vais tech unit ?
thanks

Quick Reply: Which Vaistech Model?