GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS300 Engine Won't Turnover

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-14, 08:28 AM
fwilliams
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 GS300 Engine Won't Turnover

I hoped in my car Monday morning to head to work and pressed the start button while holding the break pedal and the starter didn't engage/turnover the engine. Everything looks normal (Green light on starter button, dash lights come on, etc...) except no starter action. I mean not even a tick or a click.... Nada....

The car battery was replaced in the past 6months or so and the key FOB battery seems good as well since it detects when I approach the vehicle. My wife was also in the car with me and had her key FOB as well.
I can also hear the fuel pump priming when I press the start button as expected.

I have to wait until the weekend to troubleshoot but wanted to get some ideas from you all to help develop my plan of attack.

I'm thinking its a starter problem and will start by verifying the voltage at the solenoid when attempting to crank.

TIA,
Freddie
Old 03-05-14, 08:39 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

no click = no starter based on my past experience.
Old 03-05-14, 09:58 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

You and blue pretty much nailed it! Sounds like a starter problem.

Have you checked the voltage on the battery before starting?

GL!
Old 03-05-14, 10:12 AM
fwilliams
Driver School Candidate

No, I haven't had a chance to do any troubleshooting yet. Have to wait until the weekend. Thank God I have a 2nd vehicle to drive.

Drove the car the night before to the movies. Came home around 8:30pm and parked in the garage. Got up in the morning to leave for wk at 6am and nothing but crickets......
Old 03-05-14, 10:24 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Starter could have died from a bump on the road or anything while you were driving... once the car is running starter isn't needed It happens, makes you appreciate stick shift though.... I don't understand why more cars don't come stick.
Old 03-05-14, 11:51 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fwilliams
No, I haven't had a chance to do any troubleshooting yet. Have to wait until the weekend. Thank God I have a 2nd vehicle to drive.

Drove the car the night before to the movies. Came home around 8:30pm and parked in the garage. Got up in the morning to leave for wk at 6am and nothing but crickets......
Wow, at least you made it home!!

GL on finding out what happened lol... It's rare for the starter on our cars to go bad, you're the first I read this happen to tbh.... Keep us updated

Originally Posted by blue00
Starter could have died from a bump on the road or anything while you were driving... once the car is running starter isn't needed It happens, makes you appreciate stick shift though.... I don't understand why more cars don't come stick.
LOL.... From my perspective blue? There's many factors as to why 5+ sp manuals have gone out of phase....

-People are lazy, they wanna put the shifter in drive and go, not look back until they park.
-People have lost the ability to learn how to multitask between a shifter and a clutch pedal (sad, I've tried teaching a few people how to drive manual and they flatout failed).
-Manuals, don't react as quicky and accurately as automatics nowadays, yielding the NEWER automatic cars better gas mileage , acceleration, shift times, etc better.

Even drag cars use automatics, and with DCT and CVT technology, there's just no looking back for manual cars....

I find it fun to shift between gears and whatnot though, and I miss my manual 5-sp Miata.... That thing was fast as hell for what it was, built on what I put on it lol....

Sorry for the off topic, BACK ON TOPIC!
Old 03-05-14, 12:14 PM
fwilliams
Driver School Candidate

Btw, I have ~188k miles on my 2006 GS300😎
Purchased it new in spring of 2005. Had to replace the transmission at 185k ....ouch!
Other than that, it's been good to me.
Old 03-05-14, 01:00 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

check the voltage for the battery. even though its only 6 months or so old, doesnt mean a cell couldnt have gone dead
Old 03-05-14, 01:36 PM
fwilliams
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
check the voltage for the battery. even though its only 6 months or so old, doesnt mean a cell couldnt have gone dead
Will do....
Old 03-08-14, 01:48 PM
fwilliams
Driver School Candidate

Well.... I got up this morning to troubleshoot the my no crank issue and decided to give it another try just for kicks. Low and behold the starter engaged and the engine took twice as long to start (~6sec) but start it did. I ran it for a minute and shut it down to try starting it again. This time it started right up in about 2-3 sec as normal.

The funny thing is I tried to start it at least 2-3 times throughout the week without the starter engaging. Go figure.
Old 03-08-14, 01:56 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

you can tap that bad boy with a screw driver or stick a few times and that will get it started for you.
Old 03-08-14, 03:12 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Wow, at least you made it home!!

GL on finding out what happened lol... It's rare for the starter on our cars to go bad, you're the first I read this happen to tbh.... Keep us updated

LOL.... From my perspective blue? There's many factors as to why 5+ sp manuals have gone out of phase....

-People are lazy, they wanna put the shifter in drive and go, not look back until they park.
-People have lost the ability to learn how to multitask between a shifter and a clutch pedal (sad, I've tried teaching a few people how to drive manual and they flatout failed).
-Manuals, don't react as quicky and accurately as automatics nowadays, yielding the NEWER automatic cars better gas mileage , acceleration, shift times, etc better.

Even drag cars use automatics, and with DCT and CVT technology, there's just no looking back for manual cars....

I find it fun to shift between gears and whatnot though, and I miss my manual 5-sp Miata.... That thing was fast as hell for what it was, built on what I put on it lol....

Sorry for the off topic, BACK ON TOPIC!
have you heard text while driving? thats some major multitasking and crash too. lol

op, try cleaning out your battery terminals.. maybe that was the cause.
Old 03-08-14, 04:53 PM
sush1a
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My gs didn't start once before and it was the battery, even though the indicator show that battery was fine.
Old 03-08-14, 07:41 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sush1a
My gs didn't start once before and it was the battery, even though the indicator show that battery was fine.
There is no indicator that shows the state of the battery charge.
Old 03-08-14, 09:23 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

maybe alternator ?

Quick Reply: 2006 GS300 Engine Won't Turnover