GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Car burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 07:43 AM
ecko1211
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car burning oil

Last year I was driving and my low oil level warning came on for some odd reason. I say odd because I had just done an oil change a couple months prior. I filled it up to the correct level and everything was fine. A couple months later after doing my oil change the same thing happened again. I get the same warning and now feel there is an issue with my car. I called the dealership and they said they can do an oil consumption test. Does anyone know what the issue could be and what the estimate cost is? I am out of warranty and I've afraid this will be a very expensive fix. My car is a 07 GS350 AWD. Thanks.
Old 03-03-14, 08:04 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

have you had all recalls done (valve spring, etc)?
Old 03-03-14, 08:37 AM
ecko1211
Rookie

I believe I have done all them? Valve springs, fuel pressure sensor, & tighten bolt to variable valve timing control device (SSC DLG).

Originally Posted by alchemist
have you had all recalls done (valve spring, etc)?
Old 03-03-14, 09:09 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

also a cam gear (vvti) recall but not sure this would cause oil burning issue. Valve sping recall most likely will.
Old 03-04-14, 05:13 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ecko1211
Last year I was driving and my low oil level warning came on for some odd reason. I say odd because I had just done an oil change a couple months prior. I filled it up to the correct level and everything was fine. A couple months later after doing my oil change the same thing happened again. I get the same warning and now feel there is an issue with my car. I called the dealership and they said they can do an oil consumption test. Does anyone know what the issue could be and what the estimate cost is? I am out of warranty and I've afraid this will be a very expensive fix. My car is a 07 GS350 AWD. Thanks.
If you car burns oil, you need to check it at least once a week until you know its consumption rate.
You can do an oil consumption test yourself.
Old 03-05-14, 05:53 AM
ecko1211
Rookie

I already brought it into the dealer for the test and now I have to wait and see what the outcome is.

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
If you car burns oil, you need to check it at least once a week until you know its consumption rate.
You can do an oil consumption test yourself.
Old 03-05-14, 03:04 PM
3ZERO3
Rookie

Interesting..... I have worked for Lexus for 12 Years and never heard of this engine consuming oil.
Old 03-05-14, 09:14 PM
koreanguy9
Driver School Candidate

Mine is consuming oil too and i just found out today what it is
I just did my spark plugs literally a hour ago and i found oil around 3 of my plugs
so im assuming im leaking oil through there and now need to change my valve cover gaskets
but for you it might be different seems like your burning through alot.
Old 03-06-14, 07:37 AM
3ZERO3
Rookie

Originally Posted by koreanguy9
Mine is consuming oil too and i just found out today what it is
I just did my spark plugs literally a hour ago and i found oil around 3 of my plugs
so im assuming im leaking oil through there and now need to change my valve cover gaskets
but for you it might be different seems like your burning through alot.
Is the oil on the outside of the plug? If its coated in oil on the inside it is not the valve cover gaskets. Plus if you had the DLG (cam gear campaign) performed the dealer would have installed new valve cover gaskets as part of the gasket kit.
Old 03-10-14, 02:01 AM
koreanguy9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3ZERO3
Is the oil on the outside of the plug? If its coated in oil on the inside it is not the valve cover gaskets. Plus if you had the DLG (cam gear campaign) performed the dealer would have installed new valve cover gaskets as part of the gasket kit.
The oil is on the threads of 3 plugs and I already had the cam gear recall done so what could it be?
Old 03-10-14, 01:31 PM
3ZERO3
Rookie

Originally Posted by koreanguy9
The oil is on the threads of 3 plugs and I already had the cam gear recall done so what could it be?
The next step I would do is have a cylinder leak down test performed. I worked for Lexus for 12 years and may have come across only a hand full of cars burning oil. Mostly the 2006 GS300 but never came across a 350 engine burning oil. Do the leak down test and see if oil is making it past the rings or the valve stems seals.
Old 03-10-14, 04:35 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Another 07GS350 with oil consumption.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...using-oil.html
I noticed mine after the valve spring recall done. I can live with a quart consumption every 3000 miles.
Old 03-31-14, 03:43 PM
ecko1211
Rookie

Finally brought the car back to the dealer after the 1k mile oil consumption test. They will now perform the compression test tomorrow and said most likely they will rebuild the engine for free!! (O.o)
Old 03-31-14, 05:12 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ecko1211
Finally brought the car back to the dealer after the 1k mile oil consumption test. They will now perform the compression test tomorrow and said most likely they will rebuild the engine for free!! (O.o)
That would be nice, Keep us updated.
BTW, did they say how much your car consumed oil?
Old 03-31-14, 06:04 PM
imint213
Driver School Candidate

Default 07 GS 350 burning oil

I noticed mine about a three weeks ago, when backing my car in the garage, I smelled a little oil. I checked the oil level and it was low. A quart seem to do it. Today, I took my car in for it's normal 5k oil change (98k miles), and they told me I was a quart low. So that means I burned two quarts in about a month. I'm taking it back after 1500 miles to check the consumption of oil. When I was talking to the service rep, what he was saying just doesn't sound right. He stated they have acceptable parameters for oil consumption. I understand they want to get a history on it because most people probably exaggerate their issues, but I am a very articulate person.

Any recommendations? A friend recommended I take it to a place called Elite Importz in Maryland.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Rob

Quick Reply: Car burning oil