GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

NO more Jerry Johnson mailed warranties

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 05:09 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO more Jerry Johnson mailed warranties

Just got off the phone with Jerry, He said as of a few days ago Toyota told him he could not sell warranties unless the customer went to his place of business and bought them. Toyota is not allowing dealerships to sell warranties across state lines through the mail.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...ine-warranties
Old 02-20-14, 05:16 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

No one needs them anyway.
Old 02-20-14, 07:49 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I needed it, bought the extended warranty for both of my Lexuses. Have not used it yet, but it was a good price to pay for the peace of mind.
Old 02-20-14, 07:52 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

When you bought a Lexus..it should have come with peace of mind.
Old 02-20-14, 09:12 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Oh, I see. In that case Lexus should not come with the 4/50 warranty at all, right? Because it's the Lexus!
Old 02-20-14, 10:27 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I wanted to buy an extended warranty.... My lexus dealer said it was too late and I was SOL, they told me I should have ordered it the day I bought the car.... *shrugs*
Old 02-20-14, 10:41 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I wanted to buy an extended warranty.... My lexus dealer said it was too late and I was SOL, they told me I should have ordered it the day I bought the car.... *shrugs*
You can buy Lexus extended warranty at any time WHILE your car is still under factory warranty. I bought extended warranty for both of my cars about a month before the factory warranty expired.
Old 02-21-14, 04:14 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
When you bought a Lexus..it should have come with peace of mind.
ah to be young and naive
Old 02-21-14, 05:58 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
ah to be young and naive
Or to be old and not to smart financially speaking
Extended warranties sell costly "peace of mind" for repair nightmares that probably won't occur. If you have few thousands to throw on the window you are much better putting them in a saving account that guess what . has no expiration date, no limit in miles, no exclusions and guess what. .they earn you interest also..
But hey, if that makes you sleep at night by all means
Old 02-21-14, 07:52 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am yet to encounter a warranty that covers something that needs fixing. The parts that are warranted are generally the parts that don't break. when it comes down, they will play the "wear and tear" part not covered under warranty.... If no warranty gets me a lower price then good riddance to it. The nice thing about Lexus CPO is the financing rates rather than the warranty itself.
Old 02-21-14, 09:39 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had my upper control arms (front) replaced under my extended warranty.
(the upper control arm ball joints went bad started squeaking and are replaced as a unit)
Still was less than the actual warranty itself by a couple hundred.
Old 02-21-14, 10:41 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am surprised that was covered under warranty, I would have expected it to be dubbed as wear and tear. Especially after the initial comprehensive warranty. I would not even have thought to take it back for something like that.
Old 02-21-14, 11:31 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought the warranty from Jerry the month before factory warranty expired. Replacement of sunroof motor and stereo system justified the cost.
Old 02-21-14, 12:04 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
You can buy Lexus extended warranty at any time WHILE your car is still under factory warranty. I bought extended warranty for both of my cars about a month before the factory warranty expired.
Ahh. well it's too late now, does this still count for CPO warranty? As I was still under CPO warranty (about 3-4 weeks left) and I asked like crazy for an extension.... He said unless u bought an extension to your extended warranty on day of purchase on the car, there was nothing he could do....

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
ah to be young and naive
Agreed, LOL..... It's okay though, once something fails he'll probably feel the burn

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Or to be old and not to smart financially speaking
Extended warranties sell costly "peace of mind" for repair nightmares that probably won't occur. If you have few thousands to throw on the window you are much better putting them in a saving account that guess what . has no expiration date, no limit in miles, no exclusions and guess what. .they earn you interest also..
But hey, if that makes you sleep at night by all means
You really feel extended warranties are a waste of money? My uncle thought the same thing on his E350..... Turns out his transmission repair on the car came out to $2600, warranty from the dealer was only $2300.... He paid out of pocket within 6 months of FRESH ownership on a used vehicle..... I don't think that would have been unjustified if that happened.

On my vehicle? I can throw you about 100-pages of paperwork that's been done on my car that was covered under the extended CPO warranty. I've totaled maybe $6000+ in repairs already by now. This includes interior parts, headlight, minor quirks, etc. etc.

Originally Posted by blue00
I am yet to encounter a warranty that covers something that needs fixing. The parts that are warranted are generally the parts that don't break. when it comes down, they will play the "wear and tear" part not covered under warranty.... If no warranty gets me a lower price then good riddance to it. The nice thing about Lexus CPO is the financing rates rather than the warranty itself.
Don't rule it out, buying a used car you DON'T know who or how the car was owned and treated by, so that "peace of mind" is good to be thrown out there....

I for one, am lucky and happy I had my CPO, I paid my car in cash in full so I had no financing needs.

Originally Posted by Bavaria
Bought the warranty from Jerry the month before factory warranty expired. Replacement of sunroof motor and stereo system justified the cost.
Hot damn! that's crazy, didn't know the sunroof motor could go bad *knocks on wood*
Old 02-21-14, 12:23 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX

You really feel extended warranties are a waste of money? My uncle thought the same thing on his E350..... Turns out his transmission repair on the car came out to $2600, warranty from the dealer was only $2300.... He paid out of pocket within 6 months of FRESH ownership on a used vehicle..... I don't think that would have been unjustified if that happened.

On my vehicle? I can throw you about 100-pages of paperwork that's been done on my car that was covered under the extended CPO warranty. I've totaled maybe $6000+ in repairs already by now. This includes interior parts, headlight, minor quirks, etc. etc.
I am very convinced about that. You make it sound like your uncle saved thousands. He didn;s save much if $300 was what he saved. He has just bad luck., Of course some people would benefit, my point is that a very small percentage benefits with reliable cars like Lexus. Extended warranties are a huge money maker for them.
As for your &6k savings you need to give more details, what mileage your car had, was it still under factory warranty what work was done, 100 pages might sound like a lemon already.
p.s your car was probably out of warranty by the time you bought it hence why the dealer cannot sell you one because they love to do that.

Quick Reply: NO more Jerry Johnson mailed warranties