GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

NO more Jerry Johnson mailed warranties

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-14, 10:16 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryT
My home is paid off and I still carry insurance. Never had a fire theft or claim of any kind in 40 years. Cars are paid off and I still carry collision and comp. Never used them either. Its just insurance. The discounted VSCs were worth it. Would I pay $2300 for a VSC? Not a chance. $900 for the same All day long.
Again man , you are very confused. No way in hell we can have a normal discussion. You compare insurance with warranty. Of course you carry insurance on your home even after you paid it off (I do on my car also even tho is paid off) but do you carry HOME WARRANTY?! I personally don;t believe in home warranties. it';s the same BS as car extended warranty but than again you compare apple with carrots here and you don;t quite get it.
I'm not even gonna read the rest of the post.

Last edited by keyframe13; 02-22-14 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-22-14, 12:55 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

What's good for you isn't always good for everybody. If I would have bought an extended warranty on EVERY vehicle I've ever owned I'd be out thousands and thousands of dollars since I've NEVER needed any warranty repair work. If I would have drove to the dealership for every maintenance work I've ever done I'd be out several more thousand dollars just to have my car worked on at "Lexus" by people I don't know or trust(plenty of horror stories across the web). There is nothing wrong with doing the work yourself if you're capable of such work. I trust myself to take better care of my car than ANYBODY else.

Cars are depreciating assets. Spend your money wisely.
Old 02-22-14, 01:11 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Also, car insurance and car warranty are two totally separate items.

Home insurance and home warranty are also two totally separate items. Most people do not carry a warranty on their home for the life of the home. They fix items as they need fixing.

Obviously the unlucky bastard who has somehow blown 2 motors and 3 transmissions over the years would greatly benefit from an extended warranty.
Old 02-22-14, 01:28 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Bottomline is this thread was not posted as an argument for or against whether buying extended vehicle service contracts is a good idea or not. Don't know why anyone would misunderstand that and jump in attacking mode. .There is probably another thread for that.

I know there are those who have no issue purchasing them at huge discounts and thought this news would help them. OF course its of no value to those who don't buy them at any price. I get it!!!
Old 02-22-14, 04:00 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Calm down buddy. It's going to be ok. Just a friendly discussion where people post their views on a subject.
Old 02-22-14, 05:53 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

This thread is too funny I’ve never seen so many people try to force their beliefs and opinions on others with blinders on. Everyone knows that warranties and insurance are two different things but that comment was used as an analogy.

You pay a premium for insurance to protect yourself in case something happens. People purchase extended warranties to protect themselves in case something happens. Both can be considered a waste of money because if nothing happens you don’t get your money back. However if you do have a problem with a Lexus or any other luxury car it can be expensive to repair.

I’m not a fan of purchasing extended warranties on new cars because as long as you take care of your vehicle you probably won’t have any problems. Used cars however are a different story because you don’t know how well the previous owner treated and maintained the car.

Everyone has their own ideas so if you can’t state your opinion in a respectful manor, don’t say anything at all.
Old 02-22-14, 06:10 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

^^^ That was a very hypocritical post lol.

Some people can benefit from warranties. Others can't. It's basically a gamble. Pay now so you don't have to *possibly* pay later. Nobody is right or wrong. Do whatever you're more comfortable with. I don't insult people who buy warranties or try to convince them that my way is better. It's proven better FOR ME and that's why I opt out.
Old 02-23-14, 07:20 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmexus
^^^ That was a very hypocritical post lol.

Some people can benefit from warranties. Others can't. It's basically a gamble. Pay now so you don't have to *possibly* pay later. Nobody is right or wrong. Do whatever you're more comfortable with. I don't insult people who buy warranties or try to convince them that my way is better. It's proven better FOR ME and that's why I opt out.
I couldn't agree with you more here, but look at the instant response on the second post....while I agree no one needs to be rude about stating their opinion, it came off as a little rude, along with the many other reponses coming from keyframe. I personally don't give a rats *** about keyframe, he has his beliefs and I have mine's, so I'm not PUSHING anything on anyone, but I do know for a fact that I came out more than on top for my repairs..... ONE headlight alone already put me 3-4 times, my struts same thing. The warranty more than paid for itself over and over and over. Struts are a "wear and tear" item that wore out just too soon (which MANY of our owners have had problems with over time, you can't lie about that). Our cars come with many more problems than previous models, but with all this technology packed into these NEWER vehicles, why do you expect any less?

I agree it's a LEXUS, like keyframe had claimed, but just like every other car, these cars CAN become problematic. My aunt just bought a 2014 BMW x5, drove it for a week, and this is the FOURTH time she sat at a stop light and the car just randomly shut itself off. Now it goes back to the dealership and she's not looking back, can't have those type of problems with a Lexus IMO .
Old 02-23-14, 08:13 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

If I bought a BMW I'd DEFINITELY buy any extended warranty I could get lol. That would be like buying insurance on your lottery ticket incase it's not a winner
Old 02-23-14, 08:23 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a BMW ('10 328 Coupe MT) in addition to my GS. The BMW has been flawless since I took delivery 3/1/10. It's been across the country twice, and will be going cross country again this summer. I've had the Lexus in for recalls/issues, but they've been covered by the original and extended Platinum warranty. I enjoy both cars very much, however, the Lexus has (so far) been more problematic than the BMW.
Old 02-24-14, 03:23 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Or to be old and not to smart financially speaking
Extended warranties sell costly "peace of mind" for repair nightmares that probably won't occur. If you have few thousands to throw on the window you are much better putting them in a saving account that guess what . has no expiration date, no limit in miles, no exclusions and guess what. .they earn you interest also..
But hey, if that makes you sleep at night by all means
understandable but no car is built perfect, even a lexus. the earlier model GS' had a ton of little issues which are costly. when getting into a higher end car, IMO its just worth it because if 1 thing goes wrong, it could cost you the same, if not more than what a warranty did. in the end, its just how comfortable you feel with it. I'd rather just have the peace of mind with it but hey, im not too financially smart

Last edited by IXI187IXI; 02-24-14 at 03:26 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 04:23 AM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought an extended warranty from Jerry for my wife's RX at 49890 and within 5 months had to replace the steering column for a minor problem that the dealer considered an annoyance more than anything. The cost of repair $3K. Paid for itself already. Jerry did us a great service and it's unfortunate the convenience of buying over the phone is no longer available for those that choose to get it.
Old 02-24-14, 08:50 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Apparently Troy Dietrich is still selling them Ordering two this week. FD Warranty,com
Old 02-24-14, 09:04 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have extended warranty for my GS350, and it payed for it self the first time I got it serviced. Replacing rear view camera,air flow sensor and 2 motors mounts (10 hour labor). Next trip was a slight oil drip next to tranny (8 hours of labor alone) and a new seat track. In total by lexus prices I am looking at least $4500, Extended warranty cost me around $1500. I still have it, and I am looking to use it more before it runs out, or maybe I will just extend it for 125k miles. If you are an average JOE who does not care or known a car, Warranty for you is not a good option because you won't notice small problems that might turn out big in the future. I had the slight oil leak DENIED twice, until I had the Head of extended warranty come, take a look and approve it. But that is because they kept saying normal, It wasn't bad., but in the next 30k miles it would of been. I bet if we take your car that does not have extended warranty to a good mechanic, he can atleast find $2000 in work to be done, that sooner or later is going to be required. Motor mounts, tranny mounts, rear differential bushings, sway bar bushing on a car with 70k are all slightly cracked, and going to need replacing. Just parts alone we are talking over $1500, not including labor. So I will say it again, Discount Extended platinum lexus warranty is a very good investment and will pay for itself the first visit to lexus.

Last edited by GS350Lexus; 02-24-14 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-25-14, 07:01 PM
2014IS250
Rookie

This whole thread is pretty funny