GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why I will never stray from the Conti DWS

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-14, 08:13 AM
Coolpop
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why I will never stray from the Conti DWS

Hey all,

After 45,000 miles on my set of Continental DWS, it was time for new tires. I seriously could have gotten another 10,000 but I was satisfied with the mileage I got.

OK, so checking prices, the DWS went up more than $200 per set. Money being a bit tight, I tried to save a few bucks and went with Kumho Ecsta 4X. Set of 4 ran me $631 installed. BIG mistake and I knew immediately after I drove away from Discount Tire. Very quiet but very rough riding tire, plus it made the car handle like a boat. I went back the next day and the Discount Tire guy talked me into the Yokohama YK 580 for another $80. Tried those, they were decent but not on par with the Contis.

Called Discount Tire, negotiated a better deal for the Contis and they ordered them for me. Still ended up paying $840 out the door for the set but you know what? I don't care. These tires are just perfect for this car.

I will never again buy any other tire as long as I have this car. They are that good.
Old 01-06-14, 08:42 AM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got new tires as well, almost went with continental but opted for the Bridgestone potenza RE97AS. only have a few hundred miles on them so too early to give a real review but I'm very happy with them so far. Paid $800 otd but also got a $100 visa gift card by mail.
Old 01-06-14, 08:59 AM
wadeski
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I purchased my car I had brand new DWS and drove the car 300 miles home and couldn't take the high road noise. The next week I put Kumho on and have driven 25k and l love them .. they are so quiet and handle good. imo.
Old 01-06-14, 09:05 AM
Coolpop
Driver

Originally Posted by wadeski
When I purchased my car I had brand new DWS and drove the car 300 miles home and couldn't take the high road noise. The next week I put Kumho on and have driven 25k and l love them .. they are so quiet and handle good. imo.
Hmmmmm. I find the DWS to be nearly silent. I did find the Ecsta 4X to be just a tad quieter but the Contis are far smoother and soak up bumps and road imperfections a thousand times better. Just my opinion. Glad you are happy with the Kumhos. Did you get the Ecsta 4X?
Old 01-06-14, 09:46 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

At 35k I replaced the original Michelin's with Kumho Ecsta LX's, largely based on the positive review at Tire Rack. I now have in excess of 57k and have no complaints. They don't handle as well as the Michelin's, but I knew that going in. The Michelin's were well over $100 per tire more than the Kumhos, and that played a significant role in my decision.
BTW, I have them rotated every 5k at Discount Tire.
When the time comes for their replacement, I'll again do research and decide accordingly.
Old 01-06-14, 11:21 AM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have DWS but I got the DW because it rarely snow in Vegas, the moment i drive out of discount tire it makes my GSh completely silent, drove on the freeway going 75mph i don't hear any road noise at all, only slight wind noise, then i test it doing a hard U-turn the car handle really.. really well. but the only thing i hate is if u park ur car for over 10 hours then the moment u drive it ur steering wheels shake a bit until the tires warm up again...

they are really soft rubber, not sure if i will buy them again tho.. looks like they will wear quick, but for the price i paid.. not bad
Old 01-06-14, 01:38 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I have the DWS and I hate them on 20's. They are more square, they are not soft, they flat spot, and I only have 2k miles on mine.
Old 01-06-14, 01:43 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The DW & DWS are fantastic tires for this car. Period.

Completely agree.
Old 01-06-14, 03:18 PM
dellexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol I like Conti's but im more of a Michelin person and will never compromise for any other tyres as past experience with Michelin tyres have always put a smile on my face.

Have brand new Pirelli P-Zero's on at the moment (bought the car with tgeses wrapped around the factory 18's) and dont like the road noise at all, handling+braking is fine but the road noise and comfort is something that will eventually drive me crazy, once these do the job im putting Michelins on straight away.

I have a personal thing where i would never compromise with 4 things on my cars....
1) Tyres
2) Brakes
3) Suspension+Steering components

I also make sure I have an Oil service and Coolant flush every 6 month (some friends and family think im crazy), its a personal thing just a peace of mind.

Waiting for a friend to come back from holiday as he has to do a brake fluid flush for me and while his at it get him to change my transmission fluid and clean all the ABS sensors for me.

Im a freak when it comes to little things lol and make sure all is upto scratch, I top up my washer fluid after every use and make sure its mixed with distilled water and not normal tap water

Got a bit carried away there lol
Old 01-06-14, 03:21 PM
MizikeTSK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the DW's and loved them. They did get slightly noisy towards the end of there life but that could have been due to a bad alignment. I was going to go with them again but a friend convinced me to go with Falken Azenis PT722 or something like that. They were pretty quite at first and now with close to 20k on them they are noisy and have flat spots, then again I'm lowered and have ok alignment settings. I may go back to the DW's or Toyo Proxes 4's which I had on my IS and loved. I tend to go with the middle of the pack tire value. Learned my lesson with going cheap and can't justify dropping $ for mich. I was tempted to go with DWS's but pointless in SoCal.
Old 01-06-14, 09:01 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for me, all the way. Never ending grip even in the negative degree weather, and superb rain and shine performance.
Old 01-06-14, 09:49 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rkenimer
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for me, all the way. Never ending grip even in the negative degree weather, and superb rain and shine performance.
Agreed 100%. My first set wore out and I replaced them with the new A/S 3. I switched back to the A/S Plus under Michelin's 30 day warranty. The A/S 3s were very loud and harsh in 245 40 18 (probably because of the XL load rating). The A/S Plus are quiet and comfortable. And, as an added benefit, they've been fantastic in the snow (probably because they're so new and have a lot of tread). They do make the car drift to the right, though, as the directional tread pattern seems to follow grooves and crowning of the road.

e
Old 01-06-14, 10:11 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I have the DWS and I hate them on 20's. They are more square, they are not soft, they flat spot, and I only have 2k miles on mine.
I have DWS on 20's as well and I really like them for WA state, especially for rain and snow. I agree they are more square in shape but I run a mild stretch. 225/35 on 9" and 265/30 on 10 and 10.5 (when running Vossens).

Curious... Why did you get DWS for Florida? Just asking because if I didn't have to deal with snow, I would have chose another tire.
Old 01-06-14, 10:40 PM
Coolpop
Driver

Originally Posted by msgs350

Curious... Why did you get DWS for Florida? Just asking because if I didn't have to deal with snow, I would have chose another tire.
I just love the DWS, period. Like I've said to anyone who will listen, they are my favorite tires ever. I'm not a fan of summer tires because they wear out way too quickly. These DWS are super quiet, super comfortable, great in rain and I know I'll get 50,000 miles out of them. Enough for me.
The following users liked this post:
lji (11-28-23)
Old 01-07-14, 06:19 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolpop
I just love the DWS, period. Like I've said to anyone who will listen, they are my favorite tires ever. I'm not a fan of summer tires because they wear out way too quickly. These DWS are super quiet, super comfortable, great in rain and I know I'll get 50,000 miles out of them. Enough for me.
Sorry, I was asking ibidu1 since he has DWS on 20's like I do. I will definately get DWS again

Quick Reply: Why I will never stray from the Conti DWS