GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Active headlight auto-leveling not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 10:00 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Active headlight auto-leveling not working

Hey guys and gals
had a question for you that may have experience with this.

The other night I noticed my left headlight seemed a bit low. In all honesty, I rarely drive at night so I dont know how long this has been the case. I know I had adjusted them years ago since they come fairly low from the factory.

I went to readjust it, parked the car in the driveway turned it on, and noticed only passenger light autolevels, meaning it shoots up then down and levels. I was able to adjust the driver side up and make it acceptable again but when I drove it seems left side does not turn side to side (I dont care) but right does. So my question is.....does anyone know if the autoleveling has some fuse or something dedicated to that function ?

I dont think the functionality not working will bother me, heck the right side does more work anyways and is working and most surprising, there is no AFS light malfunction....

I wil drive it as it is but was curious as to if others had seen this before ? Only thing I can recall was the car was in for the oil burning thing a while back, but I highly doubt if any of the work done entails messing with the headlight assembly.

Thanks for your inputs
Old 02-09-14, 03:49 PM
VicTornin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here, but the problem is with passenger side.. just notice it lastnight.

Last edited by VicTornin; 02-09-14 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-09-14, 04:56 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

That's really bad luck everyone's been having with their AFS systems. Now I'm a bit afraid.....

Have you both attempted at looking at all the fuse locations? There's one under the front pass, driver side under hood (most likely it is that one), and rear trunk driver side.

GL!
Old 02-11-14, 06:33 PM
tekkie
Pole Position

Both of my headlight were acting up tonight as well. When I turn my headlights on they would go up and then collapse down. Is this an indication of a worn gear?
Old 02-12-14, 11:38 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tekkie
Both of my headlight were acting up tonight as well. When I turn my headlights on they would go up and then collapse down. Is this an indication of a worn gear?
No, that is the self test function it performs every time you turn the car on.

-Joe
Old 02-12-14, 11:39 AM
jamodeo

Are you getting the yellow lamp swivel error indicator light on the dash?

-Joe
Old 02-12-14, 01:26 PM
Speedy0o
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the swivelling motors have either given up or you have a loose connection somewhere! Strange the AFS light hasn't come on though! Had the AFS problem with mine and turned out to be corrosion in the front left level sensor plug, needed a new plug and sensor which I got 2nd hand n soldered it together myself! Not a prob since! The lights still auto leveled but wouldn't corner and light on dash! Lexus can hook it up to tech stream and see if the motors will actuate via a test! Could b worth asking!
Old 02-12-14, 01:44 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Next time I am in for service I could have them check it, no errors on the dash at all. I am pretty certain mine is not going left to right when driving (driver side). Passenger side still moves when steering. Cute feature but one that I dont find super useful.
Old 02-12-14, 09:10 PM
XxGoKoUxX

It really isn't eyekutr, but it's annoying knowing something in your car doesn't work.

It still bothers me my fiancé left a little mascara pen mark on her side of the car.... along with THOUSANDS of foot marks on the glovebox..

Either or, hope everything turns out well at the dealer and it turned out to be a simple fuse or something.

GL!
Old 02-13-14, 06:28 AM
tekkie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jamodeo
No, that is the self test function it performs every time you turn the car on.

-Joe
I know about the self test and normally the light would move up at a nice steady speed and then level off to the correct height. However, right now mine would move up, and then quickly drop down pointing to the ground at a very short distance from the front. There is no AFS light/symbol showing up on my dash or screeen. What could it be?
Old 02-13-14, 11:57 AM
jamodeo

Originally Posted by tekkie
I know about the self test and normally the light would move up at a nice steady speed and then level off to the correct height. However, right now mine would move up, and then quickly drop down pointing to the ground at a very short distance from the front. There is no AFS light/symbol showing up on my dash or screeen. What could it be?
They are not calibrated properly. A dealership can calibrate them but you can also. The only issue with you doing it yourself is if you over adjust the alignment screw, it can come out of the housing and then you are going to have much bigger issues. Call up your local dealer and ask them how much they would charge for a head light alignment.

-Joe
Old 02-13-14, 04:03 PM
tekkie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jamodeo
They are not calibrated properly. A dealership can calibrate them but you can also. The only issue with you doing it yourself is if you over adjust the alignment screw, it can come out of the housing and then you are going to have much bigger issues. Call up your local dealer and ask them how much they would charge for a head light alignment.

-Joe
Thanks...do they just go out of calibration like that? I noticed this issue right away because I leave for work very early in the morning and return home late so my headlights are always on. I still have ECP warranty, so hopefully Lexus will cover it.
Old 02-13-14, 04:26 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Funny you posted that secondary post tekkie, I have the same problem too... Although I thought it just needed to be recalibrated rather than anything being broken.
Old 02-17-14, 06:06 AM
Speedy0o
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have a pic of the adjustment screw location? Not 100% sure but have been told by my dealership that the UK/EU versions are not adjustable but US and some others are! It would be good if I could raise them a touch as I think as standard they are slightly too low anyway!!
Old 03-10-14, 03:45 PM
tekkie
Pole Position

So I brought my car in for the recall on the actuator CAM gear and asked the dealer check out my light. It turned out my front sensor needs replacing. It would have been $600 for the part, fortunately I still have extended warranty...$600 bucks for a level sensor?

Quick Reply: Active headlight auto-leveling not working