GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Strange request...bear with me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 07:16 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Strange request...bear with me.

What's up guys?

I'm a GS boy at heart, miss my 2GS dearly since I sold it years ago and have returned to the camp with a 2007 ES350, but I can't get rid of the GS itch.

I've been considering trading the ES on something else more practical, thanks mostly to the following since I bought it:

-moved in with GF and her 5yo daughter
-Adopted 88lb Chocolate Lab

I was thinking Truck or SUV, but don't want to spend the gas and sacrifice comfort, so I started thinking larger car, and a 3GS awd fits the bill pretty well.

So here's my question:

would anyone be so kind as to measure their back seat from door panel to door panel?

I'm trying to get an idea of how much space is to be gained from an ES to a GS in terms of back seat with, as that's the critical dimension (dog needs space to stretch out when riding in the car).

And yes, before anyone comments, I do bring my dog in the car. I've got a nice thick seat cover that goes over the entire rear seat and yes, I clean my windows and leather weekly haha.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-14, 08:54 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

55 inches.
Old 01-07-14, 10:13 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alchemist
55 inches.
you're the man!

Unfortunately, though, it doesn't look like it's any bigger than my ES. Hmm, guess we'll have to see when I get home to measure my ES
Old 01-07-14, 10:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

going from es to gs i don't think you will be gaining any rear cabin space
Old 01-07-14, 12:14 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Wow, long time no see!

For what it's worth, the 2GS rear seat is only 54 inches.
Old 01-07-14, 01:24 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
going from es to gs i don't think you will be gaining any rear cabin space
Completely agree. The GS isn't as big, interior volume-wise, as you might think. The trunk is also tiny!
Old 01-07-14, 02:02 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TWong350
Completely agree. The GS isn't as big, interior volume-wise, as you might think. The trunk is also tiny!
Are you kidding? The rear leg space is lacking, but in my own very humble opinion, the trunk is positively cavernous, especially when compared to the LS with executive seating.
Old 01-07-14, 02:05 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rkenimer
Are you kidding? The rear leg space is lacking, but in my own very humble opinion, the trunk is positively cavernous, especially when compared to the LS with executive seating.
Not kidding at all. Many owners complain of this as well. Cavernous is not a word that describes a 3GS trunk, IMO! Subjective, perhaps?
Old 01-07-14, 04:53 PM
Mike1970
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcat_350
you're the man!

Unfortunately, though, it doesn't look like it's any bigger than my ES. Hmm, guess we'll have to see when I get home to measure my ES
Word!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-14, 06:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Wow, long time no see!

For what it's worth, the 2GS rear seat is only 54 inches.
that is just a dimension, but when actually utilizing the space / sitting in it, the 2gs has far more shoulder room, head room, and leg room. it's not even comparable imho, the 2gs is far more spacious in the back

Originally Posted by rkenimer
the 3gs trunk is cavernous? not even close. i am not denying the ls has small trunk too (btw, it's not the exec seating that kills it, but the one with rear ac setup). the regular ls with no rear ac has very decent size trunk

back to the 3gs trunk, it's very small and problem is useability. the shape kills it when you try to fit popular luggage sizes. in fact that was a main reason we decided the 3gs was no longer for us. we couldn't even fit our full size stroller in conveniently. and then i picked up someone from airport, i couldn't even fit 2 regular sized luggage in the trunk! the overall volume is there, but the shape killed it.

and for fair comparison, look at the e60 and w211 trunk and those are enormous if you think 3gs trunk is cavernous
Old 01-07-14, 07:12 PM
rjk
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the shape doesn't lend itself to some luggage sizes. I usually carry loose items and don't have any major issues with the size of luggage cases that I use.
Old 01-07-14, 08:18 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
that is just a dimension, but when actually utilizing the space / sitting in it, the 2gs has far more shoulder room, head room, and leg room. it's not even comparable imho, the 2gs is far more spacious in the back
But when considering this specific situation regarding a dog and a 5 year old, and also assuming that these will be the only day-to-day occupants in the rear seat, is shoulder room, head room, and leg room truly a viable and legitimate argument? Methinks not.
Old 01-07-14, 08:38 PM
RYKR
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GS trunk is so small that you can only fit ONE oem size wheel/tire in it. Initially thought two wheels would fit in the trunk, but I discovered this upon trying to load up my wheels to bring it to a shop to mount on winter tires. The major design flaw on the 3GS is the oddly shaped trunk opening and a measly 12.7 cu ft of cargo capacity. I honestly don't know how GS450h owners deal with even smaller trunk space, despite that my GS460 is a pleasure to drive.
Old 01-07-14, 09:26 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

The GS was wider than the ES in the past. ES has always been longer.

However, this thread had me thinking so I looked it up on Edmunds, the difference between the ES & GS is that the ES is bigger.... The GS has ~1" of front leg room and all else is smaller.
GS; http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/...res-specs.html
ES;http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/es-350/...res-specs.html

Honestly didn't expect that.

I would however suggest an RX350 for ultimate 'balance' between car/suv feel and of course, size.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-14, 09:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
But when considering this specific situation regarding a dog and a 5 year old, and also assuming that these will be the only day-to-day occupants in the rear seat, is shoulder room, head room, and leg room truly a viable and legitimate argument? Methinks not.
incorrect. a 5 year old will be in a car seat, which means head room can be an issue (can get pretty close) and sometimes make installation harder. leg / knee room is important as well because of the raised car seat, which takes up more room too

and give all the better dimensions in the 2gs, it simply has more rooms for kid and dog. my daughter at 1 yr old already didn't like the space in the 3gs

Quick Reply: Strange request...bear with me.