GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why I will never stray from the Conti DWS

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 09:13 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
I have DWS on 20's as well and I really like them for WA state, especially for rain and snow. I agree they are more square in shape but I run a mild stretch. 225/35 on 9" and 265/30 on 10 and 10.5 (when running Vossens).

Curious... Why did you get DWS for Florida? Just asking because if I didn't have to deal with snow, I would have chose another tire.
I purchased the DWS because they were the highest rating as far as mileage warranty. It was a toss up between DWS and the Nitto's, but from all the raving about DWS on this board I went and purchased them.
Old 01-07-14, 10:48 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Agreed 100%. My first set wore out and I replaced them with the new A/S 3. I switched back to the A/S Plus under Michelin's 30 day warranty. The A/S 3s were very loud and harsh in 245 40 18 (probably because of the XL load rating). The A/S Plus are quiet and comfortable. And, as an added benefit, they've been fantastic in the snow (probably because they're so new and have a lot of tread). They do make the car drift to the right, though, as the directional tread pattern seems to follow grooves and crowning of the road.

e
Over the weekend, I was this --> <--- close to ordering another set of A/S Plus for when mine need replacing. Tirerack.com still has some in stock and I debated storing them in the basement until i need them. I figure it's at least 18 months before I'll need tires, so decided to wait and hope that Michelin offers a lighter load rated option in the A/S 3. Worst case, there are other options in 245 40 18. Bigger disappointment for my wife's SC400 as there aren't as many comparable tire options in the size her car takes. A/S Plus was a perfect tire for our needs - sad to see it replaced.
Old 01-07-14, 01:32 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie
Over the weekend, I was this --> <--- close to ordering another set of A/S Plus for when mine need replacing. Tirerack.com still has some in stock and I debated storing them in the basement until i need them. I figure it's at least 18 months before I'll need tires, so decided to wait and hope that Michelin offers a lighter load rated option in the A/S 3. Worst case, there are other options in 245 40 18. Bigger disappointment for my wife's SC400 as there aren't as many comparable tire options in the size her car takes. A/S Plus was a perfect tire for our needs - sad to see it replaced.
It's not a bad idea. In fact, I might buy at least one spare to have around in case I have a blow out that can't be repaired. When people read the reviews of the A/S 3s, they need to be mindful of the size and rating being reviewed. I'm telling you, that A/S 3 in 97y XL was downright harsh. Sure, the car handled like it was on rails, but there was a steep price to pay for that in the form of noise and reduced ride comfort. Maybe Michelin will offer a non XL version in the future.
Old 01-07-14, 01:45 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another DWS fan here. When I had them on my 20s, I love their handling and quietness.
Old 01-07-14, 09:44 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also a fan of DWS, the recent snow we had they handled great, I was going in the left lane 50 mph with 3-4 inches of snow while everyone in the middle going 20 mph. I have read a lot of people complaining about flat spots, I have never noticed it buy today, wow those 3 minutes of riding on flat spots sucked. Not sure why it happened but it did. Overall this tires gets a 9 out of 10 from me, and the only reason for a 9 because side walls ARE TOO SOFT, I almost feel like the sidewalls bend in when I make a turn. My next tire is defiantly going to be MIchellin A/S 3's, looks like a perfect combo between all season and summer tire handling.
Old 01-08-14, 11:17 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My car came with Dws new tires when I bought it. Love them.
Super quiet all the way to 100 mph. Great in dry and wet condition. Manageable in snow as well.
30 k miles on them and I'd say I have half a thread left at least.

Tire looks great too. Will be buying a new set in a few years.
Old 01-08-14, 11:55 AM
Coolpop
Driver

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
My car came with Dws new tires when I bought it. Love them.
Super quiet all the way to 100 mph. Great in dry and wet condition. Manageable in snow as well.
30 k miles on them and I'd say I have half a thread left at least.

Tire looks great too. Will be buying a new set in a few years.
Exactly how I feel (minus the snow, of course). I was just driving 85 mph on I95 and not even a ripple in the water bottle I had in the center cup holder.

To be fair, I did have the Pilot Sport A/S Plus for the first 45,000 miles. IMO (and it's only that), the Michelins had a much sturdier sidewall so the handling was sharper. However, that caused a bit of a rougher ride. The Contis are quieter and smoother and, IMO again, better in the rain. I remember hydroplaning on I95 in a heavy storm with the Michelins. Have never hydroplaned with the DWS. And since I'm now older and don't take corners at 50 mph, the Contis work better for me - softer, quieter, more of a Grand Touring feel to the tire.

Last edited by Coolpop; 01-09-14 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-14-14, 07:44 AM
Sfrt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my IS250, I bought it CPO and specified a number of requests, one of which was that they install a new set of Conti DWS tires. I did this based on comments from this forum primarily about how these would last much longer than other tires, e.g. The stock Michelins. I only drive <10K Km per year and wanted my tires to last five years so to me, these would give me the best chance at not needing replacement for those years.
I'm mostly happy with them - to me, it's been great as far as tread life as they seem to be holding up very well 2.5 years in and approx 20K km, with the "S" indicator far from being worn down. I would say though that I'd prefer a softer ride so may consider another tire when replacement time comes. (If I don't bail and trade this for an RC-F by then!)

Last edited by Sfrt; 02-14-14 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-14-14, 10:56 AM
ksan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 im riding on DWS as we speak, and I live in MA with all this ****ty weather we are getting.
Old 02-14-14, 11:10 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always wonder how far I can push my car before the DWS slip. But I don't have a control field/track to test and try.

So I use the basic rule of thumb.
1) Bad weather = slow down and go to right lane.
2) pass when needed and safe.
3) best stay home and off the road during bad weather.
Old 02-14-14, 11:22 AM
Sfrt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the Toronto, Ontario area and this was (to be) my third winter on the DWS. I follow most of your winter driving rules but have to say I've never felt the need to shy away from driving because of extreme conditions. The DWS had served me well through the first two winters and given the low mileage I drive, buying a separate set of winters didn't seem financially sensible to me ... Until November's icy weather when I basically skated into a car in front of me (it was the tiniest of taps, no harm done to either vehicle). However, that did convince me that for those times when you experience true harsh conditions, any all season is no match for a proper winter tire. I'm now on Michelin XICe for the winters. Summary: I'm all for the DWS for 90% of conditions - but when it comes to extreme winter conditions, you have to make the call that's right for you.

Originally Posted by worker
I always wonder how far I can push my car before the DWS slip. But I don't have a control field/track to test and try.

So I use the basic rule of thumb.
1) Bad weather = slow down and go to right lane.
2) pass when needed and safe.
3) best stay home and off the road during bad weather.
Old 02-14-14, 11:54 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ you broke the 3rd rule. hahaha Icy and bad but you didn't stay home.

I always wonder how a winter tire deal with a slopped icy road. At what angle the icy slop have to be before the winter tire slip and unable to keep the car on the slop.
Old 02-14-14, 12:50 PM
cschroder
Driver

you guys are going to laugh at me, probably pretty hard, but here goes.

got my gs430 with p-zero neros on it, reaplaced those when they wore out, inside camber wear, went with Goodyear eagles, nice tires but again inside wear killed them. I have had the alignment checked and adjusted everytime i get tires. i drive 40k a year mostly highway and cannot afford 600+ twice a year for tires. So i took the plunge and got these Primewell PZ900's. hahahahaha yeah i know. Well they now have 35,000 on them and they have none of the inside camber wear issues i have had with all other tires. Traction is great, i drove on them from Oklahoma City to Dallas 2 Sundays ago on 3" of ice covered with snow. had no issues. Best of wait for it...wait for it....lol...354.92 for all 4 with tpms excluding tax. less than 100 bucks a tire.

http://www.hibdontire.com/

Laugh all you want, but i have used them now for 35000 and i will be getting my next set before the end of the month.
Old 02-14-14, 08:46 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I like my Ecsta LX Platinums... was going to go DWS at the time but they weren't available. I have no complaints about these tires and their wear rating is sky high. I don't think the car is going to outlast the tires in my case lol.

I've never tried them in the winter, x-ices go on as soon as the temperature drops to 6C and stay on until temperature is back up past 6C. I see no point in not having a proper set of winter tires the difference is night and day even with "good" all seasons. I still avoid "summer" tires because I also don't like being rushed into changing wheels or getting caught in surprise conditions in the fall - never mind that they wear so much longer than summers and often cost less anyway.