GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Hello, folks! New GS460 owner here...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 12:50 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

If I had your climate, I would be racing BMW M5's all day and beating them!
But that's just me, I'm a piston head!
Old 02-19-14, 08:21 AM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Lexleezard, the 2011 GS460 in NM unfortunately does not have parking sensors or Mark Levinson as indicated by the pictures. 49er and I discussed that these were his two desired options.
Well, strikes me that this provides a great opportunity to bargain for a better deal on the bronze NM vehicle. The car itself, given mileage (low) and age (almost new), would be more than worth it -- a super-rare, extremely high quality machine. Getting the Levinson stereo and navigation would be nice, but is it essential? Does the Lexus stock stereo come with the navigation? If so, you're only talking about the sound, and from what I have been able to hear on other units, the stock sound is damned good to begin with. I use the parking system in our 2008 GS460 more than I thought I would. It's useful. But again, every vehicle I've had before didn't have any kind of park assist and I got along fine without it. I suspect if our 2008 GS460 was equipped like the 2011 in Albuquerque, it wouldn't be a super massive big deal given the superb engine, transmission, drive train, comfort, performance, and the very high quality fit and finish. I guess it boils down to a combination of taste and the actual rarity of the vehicle itself. Good luck finding the ideal GS460! Cheers / Lexleezard

Last edited by LexLeezard; 02-19-14 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typo needed correction
Old 02-19-14, 02:20 PM
49erGS460
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexLeezard
Well, strikes me that this provides a great opportunity to bargain for a better deal on the bronze NM vehicle. The car itself, given mileage (low) and age (almost new), would be more than worth it -- a super-rare, extremely high quality machine. Getting the Levinson stereo and navigation would be nice, but is it essential? Does the Lexus stock stereo come with the navigation? If so, you're only talking about the sound, and from what I have been able to hear on other units, the stock sound is damned good to begin with. I use the parking system in our 2008 GS460 more than I thought I would. It's useful. But again, every vehicle I've had before didn't have any kind of park assist and I got along fine without it. I suspect if our 2008 GS400 was equipped like the 2011 in Albuquerque, it wouldn't be a super massive big deal given the superb engine, transmission, drive train, comfort, performance, and the very high quality fit and finish. I guess it boils down to a combination of taste and the actual rarity of the vehicle itself. Good luck finding the ideal GS460! Cheers / Lexleezard
Thanks for all the input, Lex and Thomas!

I've already made the mistake of not getting ML or parking sensors on my 2010 GS 350 (which I've since sold) and won't do it again. I found what seems to be the perfect car (all the options I want, exact color scheme and wheels as well), but the seller is asking what I believe is way too much. Here's the listing:

http://www.donohooauto.com/Used-2011...AL/vd/18239747

What do you guys feel is a fair price for the vehicle above? Was thinking $35-36k on the high end, but can't even get them to get close to it.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-19-14, 02:30 PM
TBone12
Rookie

49er, That seems like a great car you posted, but when I bought my 2011 GS 460 last year I paid ~36k for it.
Old 02-19-14, 02:54 PM
49erGS460
Rookie

Originally Posted by TBone12
49er, That seems like a great car you posted, but when I bought my 2011 GS 460 last year I paid ~36k for it.
Thanks TBone for the data point! Looks like the range between $35 and $36k is indeed fair for a 2011. Unfortunately, the car is on the opposite side of the country, so I'm on the hook for another $1k to get it shipped (thought about flying in and driving it back, but AL to CA is a bit too far for me).
Old 02-19-14, 03:27 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

^ Judging by the pics on the black one, the paint looks really scratched up.
Old 02-19-14, 04:25 PM
49erGS460
Rookie

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
^ Judging by the pics on the black one, the paint looks really scratched up.
Just noticed that too! The hood looks pretty bad..
Old 02-19-14, 04:38 PM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 49erGS350
Thanks TBone for the data point! Looks like the range between $35 and $36k is indeed fair for a 2011. Unfortunately, the car is on the opposite side of the country, so I'm on the hook for another $1k to get it shipped (thought about flying in and driving it back, but AL to CA is a bit too far for me).
The Alabama vehicle looks really good. My first advice would be -- be prepared to eat the 1K for shipping as a totally separate item -- don't include that in your thinking about or negotiating for what you will pay for the car.

Seeing as the car also has the optional Lexus "spider" wheels and that wonderful suspension kit (I certainly wish that kit was on our 2008), I'd go hard with a start point at 34.6K (or less) which is about 11% less than the listed asking. You might want to start at 12% less or even 13%.

If the dealer is totally determined and being hard-nosed to get what they want (and by the way, have they said what they are prepared to take?), you ought to be prepared to go up from your first offer to 50% of the way to their lowest ask, and consider that to be the "hard point" from which you will not budge.

Remember also that any dealer is usually pretty motivated to move their inventory for which they have already paid, especially in the luxury market. Every day a car sits on the lot / in the showroom, it isn't making money for them. It's turnover and margin that count on sales. They are also going to be constantly assessing your interest to try to determine if you are so passionate about your "love" that you lose your "rational edge" -- and they might be motivated to try to help "push you over" that edge.

Important to note: for this Alabama dealer, this vehicle will not be a "returning faithful customer" in terms of you coming in for regular service and maintenance. They won't make any money from you from those kinds of visits. Therefore, they are going to want the highest final sales margin possible. If you were living down there and you got to know them reasonably well, you'd probably come back for service if they handled you properly and encouraged you as a good returning customer. In that case you would likely be happy to be an ongoing source of revenue for them, and they might be a bit more flexible on the margin for purchase as well as other future margin reductions for you. Fact is, you don't fall into that category for them -- so their stance will be "hard".

Also, as far as additional items that the dealer can provide to support the sale that they really ought to consider as separate from the "core deal", you should definitely do a hard but friendly ask for a guaranteed and written verification (with verified mileage) on the following, immediately prior to delivery: rear diff fluid change, Mobil 1 oil change plus high-quality filter, full drive train lube, and written proof of whatever inspection certification the dealer will provide. Other items you can work on to add value to your "core deal" (if you are so inclined) are things like a full set of Lexus rubber / foul weather floor mats (if they aren't included in the deal), block heater (which you may think you'll never need in CA, but if you think you'll ever sell the vehicle, a person anywhere "up North" might really appreciate it as a "used" selling point!), and perhaps a certified Lexus interior detail including leather treatment, and super-vac including the trunk space.

Another question: do you know anyone down there who can inspect the vehicle on your behalf? You could spend a bit of change on an independent inspection. The thing I would personally feel very uncomfortable about is getting a vehicle at this price "sight unseen". Maybe I'm just old-school, but I think it only makes sense.

Hope this might help rather than hinder. Cheers / Lexleezard
Old 02-19-14, 05:14 PM
49erGS460
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexLeezard
The Alabama vehicle looks really good. My first advice would be -- be prepared to eat the 1K for shipping as a totally separate item -- don't include that in your thinking about or negotiating for what you will pay for the car.

Seeing as the car also has the optional Lexus "spider" wheels and that wonderful suspension kit (I certainly wish that kit was on our 2008), I'd go hard with a start point at 34.6K (or less) which is about 11% less than the listed asking. You might want to start at 12% less or even 13%.

If the dealer is totally determined and being hard-nosed to get what they want (and by the way, have they said what they are prepared to take?), you ought to be prepared to go up from your first offer to 50% of the way to their lowest ask, and consider that to be the "hard point" from which you will not budge.

Remember also that any dealer is usually pretty motivated to move their inventory for which they have already paid, especially in the luxury market. Every day a car sits on the lot / in the showroom, it isn't making money for them. It's turnover and margin that count on sales. They are also going to be constantly assessing your interest to try to determine if you are so passionate about your "love" that you lose your "rational edge" -- and they might be motivated to try to help "push you over" that edge.

Important to note: for this Alabama dealer, this vehicle will not be a "returning faithful customer" in terms of you coming in for regular service and maintenance. They won't make any money from you from those kinds of visits. Therefore, they are going to want the highest final sales margin possible. If you were living down there and you got to know them reasonably well, you'd probably come back for service if they handled you properly and encouraged you as a good returning customer. In that case you would likely be happy to be an ongoing source of revenue for them, and they might be a bit more flexible on the margin for purchase as well as other future margin reductions for you. Fact is, you don't fall into that category for them -- so their stance will be "hard".

Also, as far as additional items that the dealer can provide to support the sale that they really ought to consider as separate from the "core deal", you should definitely do a hard but friendly ask for a guaranteed and written verification (with verified mileage) on the following, immediately prior to delivery: rear diff fluid change, Mobil 1 oil change plus high-quality filter, full drive train lube, and written proof of whatever inspection certification the dealer will provide. Other items you can work on to add value to your "core deal" (if you are so inclined) are things like a full set of Lexus rubber / foul weather floor mats (if they aren't included in the deal), block heater (which you may think you'll never need in CA, but if you think you'll ever sell the vehicle, a person anywhere "up North" might really appreciate it as a "used" selling point!), and perhaps a certified Lexus interior detail including leather treatment, and super-vac including the trunk space.

Another question: do you know anyone down there who can inspect the vehicle on your behalf? You could spend a bit of change on an independent inspection. The thing I would personally feel very uncomfortable about is getting a vehicle at this price "sight unseen". Maybe I'm just old-school, but I think it only makes sense.

Hope this might help rather than hinder. Cheers / Lexleezard
Thank you so much for this lex!!! Very helpful indeed. $37,500 (without shipping) is their final price they are willing to go down to. They claim to have picked it up at the auction for $36k (don't believe them on this). Maybe they are in for $36k including the shipping from the auction in Colorado they purchased it from.
Old 02-19-14, 07:41 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

< I'd be glad to go check it out for you, it's not that far from me. would be a nice little road trip

Last edited by Marklouis; 02-20-14 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 09:15 AM
49erGS460
Rookie

Originally Posted by Marklouis
< I'd be glad to go check it out for you, it's not that far from me. would be a nice little road trip
Awesome, Marklouis! Keep us updated! Thanks!
Old 02-21-14, 10:19 AM
rizaa
Driver School Candidate

Beautiful cars.
Old 02-26-14, 09:44 PM
49erGS460
Rookie

Ok, my waiting may have paid off.. Found an '08 with 60k close by that I'm going to stop by and check out tomorrow.

http://www.smythe.com/used/2008/lexu...bl96s685001907

Any ideas on what's FMV and a fair offer on this bad boy?
Old 02-26-14, 11:30 PM
gshoq
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 49erGS350
Ok, my waiting may have paid off.. Found an '08 with 60k close by that I'm going to stop by and check out tomorrow.

http://www.smythe.com/used/2008/lexu...bl96s685001907

Any ideas on what's FMV and a fair offer on this bad boy?
That looks like a reasonable price for a low-mileage GS460 at first glance. You can probably make a better assessment on the condition of the car in person though.