GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Gs 460 driving experiences

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-13, 07:02 AM
UCFdude
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gs 460 driving experiences

Ok, I test drove a Gs 460 a few days ago and here are my thoughts

My dad has an Ls 430 and the engine is like butter, very smooth, the Gs 460 is not so smooth between gear shifts and takes off from a stop. While driving in the city with stop and go traffic, I get a feeling that the car is constantly keep hunting for what gear it should be in and that really irritated me.

In sport combined with power mode, the exhaust note became a little bit louder, especially if you really step on it. I’m not sure if it is in my head but even my dad ride along with me noticed it. However, the Gs 460 pick up speed MUCH quicker than my dad LS, changing lane will not be a problem as it went from 40-75 in a hurry.

I initially wanted an ISF but couldn’t find a good deal locally and I will be driving mostly in the city so I want some low end torque and luxury/space. So I set to find a 3rd Gen GS V8, GS 460 but after test driving it I have mixed feeling about it.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by UCFdude; 12-27-13 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-27-13, 07:47 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a 2009 GS460 and miss it all the time. Although I absolutely love my new LS, I think that the GS460 will remain one of the best cars I have ever owned.

If you go through with the purchase, you should reset the ECU (pull neg battery terminal for about 30 min.) That way it will learn the way YOU drive and respond to your inputs in a more efficient way instead of having learned how the last owner drove it. In my head and from my experience this helped to alleviate gear hunting and improve responsiveness to my driving inputs. The GS460 has the same 8-speed trans out of the LS460 and I always seemed to think and feel like it was smooth unless I was driving it hard.

The sport mode is going to stiffen up the suspension which makes for a more exciting driving dynamic; while the power mode will increase throttle response and feel while keeping the trans in a lower gear for more instantaneous power which explains why you were hearing a louder exhaust note.

I love the IS-F but I don't really fit in one, probably test drove the IS-F ten times over the last couple of years but I just can't pull it off since its a small car (in relation to my size.) IMHO the GS460 is definitely a different car, but still the next best thing to an IS-F in regards to speed, and all around a really enjoyable daily driver.

In my completely bias opinion, I would get it I can't think of any other car in its class that I would rather have that does everything as well as it does. If it had made any kind of financial sense to keep both my GS460 and get the new LS460 I would have kept it no questions asked.

Good luck with your purchase, whatever it may be, and hope to see you back soon with a GS

-Joe
Old 12-27-13, 08:07 AM
UCFdude
Driver

I didn't get to reset the ECU so that might explain why the car feel so jerky from stop and go. I would like to get it but the lexus dealer said no haggle what so ever. I gave them an offer and instantly got a rejection without any counter and said the asking price is the bottom price.
Old 12-27-13, 10:40 AM
jamodeo

Originally Posted by UCFdude
I didn't get to reset the ECU so that might explain why the car feel so jerky from stop and go. I would like to get it but the lexus dealer said no haggle what so ever. I gave them an offer and instantly got a rejection without any counter and said the asking price is the bottom price.
Well the GS460 is a pretty rare car, that is why they may be a little firm on the price. What are they asking? Does it have a warranty or CPO?

-Joe
Old 12-27-13, 11:09 AM
UCFdude
Driver

CPO 2008 black on black with 22k one owner, personal car not lease, clean carfax and it is located in my back yard.

Last edited by UCFdude; 03-20-14 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-27-13, 12:04 PM
promethus7
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Eventhough it probally books for that much, I would have a hard time with 35K for a 2008. I would imagine if it is a Lexus dealer they just slapped full book price on that joker with the knowing that eventually someone will buy it. A that price, might be worth your wild to look in another state and have it transfered in.
Old 12-27-13, 02:03 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

depending on how long it's been on the lot, it'll stay that way for a bit.... You're on the right track though, I wouldn't pay a dollar of asking price from a dealership, I didn't in ANY of my purchases in my life.... Nor will I ever.

Kia was selling a GS300, with no nav, no ML, no nothing except parking sensors for 26k (60k miles) black on black. I tried to haggle with them at that time and they wouldn't budge, I got a better deal at the dealership, came with extended warranty and I was happy. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't pick up the GS300 because that thing is a hot mess after a few years of usage.

Keep looking, either that or wait until the year rolls over and let the car sit on the lot for a while.

GL!
Old 12-27-13, 02:41 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

I was recently looking for a GS460 and found a clean 08 with 53k for $26,998 at a Carmax. I thought I found the perfect car, but after reading the reviews on them I changed my mind and went with a 350 for $7,000 less. The gear hunting with the 8 speed would have driven me crazy and the extra gas wouldn't have been worth it in the long run. It's not much faster than the 350 if speed is what you're after. I couldn't justify it.
Old 12-27-13, 03:01 PM
StayStanky
Driver School Candidate

I guess I'm used to my tranny hunting for gears?

I'd complain more about the sport mode shifting than anything else.
Old 12-27-13, 04:03 PM
UCFdude
Driver

these 460 is so rare that even if i search nation, there are less than 30 for sale at any given. Plus this color combo is my TOP choice.

i wanted an V8 with low end torque, i drive mostly in the city and with stop and go traffic the V8 torque really gets thing moving. I had an acura that was geared toward high end torque and it was a nightmare for me to drive in the city.

What do you mean sport mode shifting?
Old 12-27-13, 04:44 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

if you think GS460 jerk a lot,

consider a GS450h? almost as much power as the GS460, but with the CVT it will feel like the car has a 1 speed forward gear, also dead silent
Old 12-27-13, 06:05 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

The 450h wouldn't favor aftermarket support like exhausts and etc. Consider that.....

It is most likely faster than a 460 due to the fact that it is CVT and the TQ of an electric motor is instant vs the fact that the v8 has to climb the RPM ladder.

I've read you get the 10yr lexus batt warranty, so I think you'd be set too Loc.
Old 12-27-13, 06:34 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While driving in the city with stop and go traffic, I get a feeling that the car is constantly keep hunting for what gear it should be in and that really irritated me.
Any thoughts?
The LS430 has a 6 sp tranny while the GS460 has an 8 sp. Try test driving the LS460 to see if you notice the same "gear hunting" feeling.
Old 12-27-13, 06:41 PM
UCFdude
Driver

i think i'll pull the trigger tomorrow. The car is excatly what i wanted, from color to the condtion of the car. It is so rare that i doubt i will find another one like it. So paying a bit more is not a problem. The gear hunting is not as bad but i think the car just shift too many time while driving haha. I bet it is expected in a 8 speed vs my dad LS430 which has 6. I guess ownning the car for a while will get me used to it but CPO 2008 with only 22k and black on black doesn't come by everyday and i don't have to travel far so I will make her mine tomorrow. The manager called me back after accepted my offer and said he will have the car ready and already put a "sold" signs on it hahah

Last edited by UCFdude; 03-20-14 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-27-13, 07:28 PM
jamodeo

Well i got the price down a bit and i think i'll pull the trigger tomorrow. The car is excatly what i wanted, from color to the condtion of the car. It is so rare that i doubt i will find another one like it. So paying a bit more is not a problem. The gear hunting is not as bad but i think the car just shift too many time while driving haha. I bet it is expected in a 8 speed vs my dad LS430 which has 6. I guess ownning the car for a while will get me used to it but CPO 2008 with only 22k and black on black doesn't come by everyday and i don't have to travel far so I will make her mine tomorrow. The manager called me back after accepted my offer and said he will have the car ready and already put a "sold" signs on it hahah
Thats AWESOME!!! Congratulations!!! Take some pics and post back when you pick it up

-Joe

Quick Reply: Gs 460 driving experiences