GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Headlight Aim/Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-13, 04:16 AM
sng008
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Aim/Adjustment

Hey guys, need some help, my headlight aim is all out of whack, the driver side light is aiming all the way to the passenger side. I searched the forums and know where the screws are for the vertical and horizontal adjustments. Counter clockwise for making the headlights go up and you're suppose to go the same direction on the horizontal adjustment as well. But my driverside headlight is aiming so far towards the passenger side already,I need to get the horizontal adjustment back to the left, which direction to turn? Clockwise or Counter?

Thks for the help.
Old 12-25-13, 08:36 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

have the lights on and just go to town on the adjustments. It should tell you which way to go

I didn't know our cars came with sideways adjustments, I only know of up and down..... Something I need to do, probably tomorrow
Old 02-20-16, 08:57 AM
brainshowe
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever get an answer. All I see on ALL the posts is "just go to town". Real Helpful
They move so insignificantly it's impossible to tell. Does anybody actually have the answer

OK I found the gauge. It's under the plastic cover where the light bulb is located. The adjustment screw needs to be turned clockwise with the #2 Phillips screwdriver to move the passenger light horizontal adjustment towards the driver side. The gauge looks like a donut lever that slides over the flat gauge. Mine was so far out the donut was completely outside the gauge. It took multiple turns to bring it back. I had the car running while I did this.

Last edited by brainshowe; 02-20-16 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-20-17, 11:39 PM
Vooduguru
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In trying to adjust my own, I can see the two easily seen adjustment screws, but the hard one, all I can see is the back of it. How the heck do I get to it with a long phillips?
Old 05-21-17, 01:48 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Vooduguru
In trying to adjust my own, I can see the two easily seen adjustment screws, but the hard one, all I can see is the back of it. How the heck do I get to it with a long phillips?
Here are the instructions from the manual (pp. 467-469)

The following 2 users liked this post by Sodium:
natnut (04-04-20), WeetoGee (06-15-17)
Old 06-28-17, 05:52 PM
Vooduguru
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so I took a look at this and the window to look at the level is clouded up, so I took it off, it was a bit of a pain. There's only one level in there, Are there supposed to be two? No matter what direction I turn the low beam screws, the bubble goes nowhere. Very frustrated.
Old 07-16-17, 09:27 AM
maxdady75
Driver School Candidate

Both of my lights are pointing down making it unsafe to drive at night. So I managed to locate both the vertical and horizontal screws. When I made the horizontal adjustment on the driver's side the beam went completely off to the left and I tried bringing it back and it doesn't move. Then I attempted to adjust the vertical beam and turning the screw clockwise by turning the screwdriver CCW to raise the beam I noticed little to no movement at all. I must've turned it at least 20-30 times and still nothing. Then I turned it CW just to see if it moves and nothing happens. I did the same thing on the passenger's side also and nothing happened with the vertical beam. The horizontal beam didn't move on that side either. I'm thinking at this point I should take the GS to the dealer. I'm afraid they won't be able to adjust them either which means I will have to replace them. I am planning on replacing both headlight assemblies eventually since the passenger side has a small crack. So if I have to spend any significant amount to fix the aiming beam issue (if it could be fixed) then I would rather put those funds towards a pair of good condition used OEM headlights. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm located in South Beach so if anyone residing in S FL who are good with cars, I welcome their assistance.
Old 07-18-17, 02:23 AM
Vooduguru
Lexus Test Driver

^ I'm getting the same when I play with the adjusters. No matter what direction I turn them, they do nothing. When the car turns on, they still scan up and down, no error lights, I just can't get the driver side light to stop pointing nearly all the way to the left.