GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What is your GS like? looking to buy GS vs TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 11:40 AM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ yeah for low $20s the new Accord Sport is tough to beat. My 80 yr old mother has a blue 2013 (plus tint and heated leather God bless her) and I actually drove it quite a bit in late '12 when she got a new hip. Very impressed with that car. She bought right when they came out and we still beat the dealer down several Grand.
Old 12-17-13, 02:17 PM
promethus7
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Blue, My GS has the same windshield rattle until the car warms up and the seals expand. On the TL the cold rattle was in the sunroof so I considered it normal
Old 12-20-13, 07:47 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, it looks like I will be hanging around here more often... thanks everyone
Old 12-20-13, 02:24 PM
alSpeed2k
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^?!?! So....you bought the GS?
Old 12-20-13, 03:45 PM
1Phoenix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blue00
The Lexus is certainly has the best feel for a quality car and I really like it, I hope the rattling isn't a big issue as these cars are really hard to find used, either no one buys them or no one sells them because there are just 4 in a 100KM area around me (in Toronto) 2 have high mileage (over 100K km), one just sold, and that leaves me with the one I am looking at.
I've been looking for 3 months and haven't been able to find the right car for me yet, but that's because I'm looking in BC where the market is tiny compared to Toronto and where the GS is ultra rare. There are tons of GS' for sale in the GTA. Have a you checked autotrader.ca , kijiji, craiglslist, etc...? I check them all daily Canada-wide to see availability and pricing (even though I'm only interested in purchasing a west coast car because I don't want a car that has seen salt and I'm willing to pay a premium.) By the way, if you see what the GS' are pulling in the auctions, you'll never buy retail. The numbers prove how undesirable they are in the used car market.

I can't believe after reading this thread how many GS owners either own a TL or had one previously. I would have thought someone would have compared the GS to an Infiniti M since that's closer in price and class than a TL.

By the way, if you were interested in Canadian pricing for the GS, check out the first post in my thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...requested.html

Oh in case you would like to purchase a Lexus extended warranty....
If you purchase a vehicle from a Lexus store and it is less than 60 months old from the in-service date and has less than 100,000km, you will have the option to purchase an extended warranty. First, It will have to be certified by Lexus (131 point inspection) to be eligible for purchasing the warranty. The warranty is called LCPO (Lexus Certified Pre-owned) comprehensive upgrade warranty. The most popular plan code is ULC88 which extends your warranty to 96months/160,000km (from the in-service date) for $2750 Canadian Dollars.
There's also a 84/160km ($2550) and 72/200km ($2700) warranty available. ***Pricing is approximate. The warranty is very similar to the Lexus Gold Plan.

If you purchase a vehicle that is still under warranty (less than 4 years old and less than 80km), you will have a larger variety of options for extended warranty under the Lexus Gold Plan and Lexus Platinum Plan. You'll have to see the ECP (Extra Care Protection) warranty brochure for details. Here is a sample of pricing that I was quoted. Keep in mind they calculate the months starting from the in-service date:

60months/100,000kms $2655 + 5% GST
72months/120,000kms $3330 + 5% GST
72months/160,000kms $3760 + 5% GST
72months/180,000kms $4040 + 5% GST
84months/140,000kms $3870 + 5% GST
96months/120,000kms $4420 + 5% GST
96months/160,000kms $5239 + 5% GST
96months/200,000kms $6400 + 5% GST

Here is a what I was quoted for an aftermarket warranty. Warranty starts the day "you" purchase the car, not the inservice date. There is a deductible with this warranty:

36months/120,000km $1880 + 5% GST
36months/140,000kms $1935 + 5% GST
36months/150,000kms $2235 + 5% GST
48months/120,000kms $1944 + 5% GST
48months/140,000kms $2007 + 5% GST
48months/160,000kms $2354 + 5% GST
60months/140,000kms $2180 + 5% GST
60months/160,000kms $2639 + 5% GST
72months/140,000kms $2295 + 5% GST
72months/160,000kms $2829 +5% GST
84months/140,000kms $2310 + 5% GST
84months/160,000kms $2853 + 5% GST

Good luck!
Old 12-20-13, 05:23 PM
blue00
Pit Crew

Yes i got the GS350 AWD from Lexus On the Park in Toronto, the car drove the best from 3 TLs (which rattled and made tire -probably - noises on the highway) as well as a brand new Accord 4cyl sport (could have been a great car if they kept the weight down, but it really seems like they tried for it to be too much for what it is). I believe that used cars are the best option in terms of value, you get to experience the car as it will be when it is aged a bit, my previous used car was 5 years old when i got it and quite higher mileage than normal (5years @150K km, but didn't make odd sounds, looked good mechanically, and has been fantastic since) so I wanted to keep this one a bit newer. Limiting my search to 2010 -2011 GS, i could turn up just 4 in the GTA and 1 sold before I had a chance to test drive it. The other two were too high mileage (over 100K km) on them for me to consider.

The GS350 I got was Lexus used certified so it had the extended power train warranty, 2 years roadside assistance included. I declined the ECP (extended comprehensive warranty), even though the price was very reasonable, I am not buying a Lexus because I believe that it will break down, if they are willing to bet against it breaking down by offering warranty, i am willing to bet against needing it. . It felt like a high quality car and drove better than a brand new car. I would buy new (+comprehensive warranty) only if I didn't trust the quality of the car.Looking at engine, suspension, sheet-metal, welds (yes I am that O.C.D.) the GS wins in every point over a brand new Accord, it is a quiet, comfortable, smooth ride, with kick to ride when needed. My brother in-law has a 2012 V6 accord stick (HFP), I expected the shifts on the 2014 accord to be similar but with less power.... boy was I wrong.

The experience with the Lexus salesperson was fantastic as well and would recommend that dealership alone just based on that, I had an awful experience from two Honda dealerships I went to, the Acura guys were great, but I just didn't feel like the car was premium grade, maybe it is sportier, but I don't need that. I feel that with used cars you need to get the one that you like, 3 TLs none struck me as "this is it', this GS I drove 3 times over the course of the week and felt like a solid car every time. I didn't consider Infiniti seriously, I have 3 friends with G35/G37, my mother in-law has a EX35, while they are very nice driving vehicles, Infiniti is exactly the type of brand I would only buy/leas new where I have all the warranties, when aged they don't feel so great. I get that the TL and the GS are different initial price/class, but this isnt what it is is about, it is about getting the best car I can get used for the money. Honda and Toyota both make extremely high quality cars, so the comparison was GS vs TL based on that, not based on price point or based on classes.

I get that wholesale price would be less, but I am not interested in chancing on an auction. I worked my price in as w hat a 48 monthlease buyback would be at ~$25K, this GS had new brakes and new tires (Michelin Energy - nothing great, but new anyway) + whatever dealer had to make and considering condition, I offered just over 30K for the car (10% below what the dealer had it posted at). and they accepted. Mileage was 75K km, I am happy with that if it lasts me 8 years more @21K per year with basic maintenance.

What pisses me off the most is the taxes, they skim 13% HST every frigging time the car sells...pyramid of extortion...Phoenix you are lucky that you have recall legislation in BC, the Ontario Liberals all need to be lined up to the guillotine for taking the $6B bribe they got from the Feds for accepting the HST, and used it to pretend to balance the budget and imagine they can afford all day kindergarten. Sales tax on used cars, gas, and electricity (o name a few) went up.... and all they did is send me two cheques for $50... like that makes it better.... I am not going on political rants... but they can just go F&^%K themselves up our lesbian premiers @$$ (apologies to any LGBT members here)

I digress, back to the car, I am very comfortable with my decision so far, hopefully it proves to be a high quality reliable vehicle. I intend to do basic service myself.

Last edited by blue00; 12-20-13 at 09:09 PM. Reason: add a few curse words
Old 12-20-13, 06:51 PM
promethus7
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to da crew
Old 12-21-13, 08:15 AM
1Phoenix
Driver School Candidate

Congrats! I'm really happy you took the time and bought the car you like best. I think you did very well considering the year and mileage and the fact that it's certified. Post pics when you have a chance.

I've also had a similar experience like you had with Lexus on the Park; every Lexus dealer I've spoken to/dealt with has been very good. I really hope that I find a certified GS that I can buy from a Lexus dealer soon!

I understand your perspective regarding declining the ECP. Out of curiosity, were you quoted similar pricing to me?

Thank you for sharing your opinion/experience with the Accord. I've been debating whether or not to lease a new car since I haven't been able to find a GS for so long and I'm getting very, very desperate. I've been researching/reading about the Camry and Accord. I've read horrible things about the quality of the Accord (comparing it to the Camry.) One simply cannot compare it to the GS (quality wise)...the GS is in another league. It's crazy to think that a pre-owned GS is the same money as a new Accord and how much more car you're really getting with the GS. It's like comparing a 2007 S550 to an Accord which is around the same money. An Accord will never be as good as an S Class if you know what I mean.

If you were in a pinch and had to buy a car and weren't able to find a GS with a budget ~$30k, what would be your second choice whether used or new?

Regarding Politics...I think I'm going to save my time and energy and focus on finding my car
However, check out this link:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...vels-1.1352334
Old 12-21-13, 10:20 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new car and welcome
Old 12-31-13, 11:50 AM
blue00
Pit Crew

Hi Phoenix

I can't give you an honest answer on the pricing for the ECP since the prices were shown to me and I spent the whole of 5 seconds looking at them before I said no. So I can't comment how much was for what duration, I just recall the person offering it telling me that they are 50% of what they would be on a brand new purchase.

I understand your frustration, I have been looking for about a year online and finally honed in on the couple of used cars (i knew the new one would always be there). I was lucky to have my old car pretty much functional, but the brake started dragging in the back and that is when I said it is not worth for me to even look at if I find a car I like.

As for other options, I don't know what you are looking for in terms of power train/comfort, but based on what I have seen and would consider, on the first set of test drives I found the TL to be a pretty close toss up (it is a different car, but the seat was marginally more comfortable and it had more headroom). It has more roadnoise, but coming from an Accord it wasn't worse for me to complain. the 2010 TL is significantly less expensive, the 2012 has smoother shifting and is less harsh on the eyes, otherwise seemed nearly identical cars. There are always TONS of TLs, they seem like a popular car, so if you drive one that rattles or makes some other noise you can always move onto another. Having driven my brother in law's 2012 V6 Accord (stick), it is a very nice car as well, again Honda road noise. his was the HFP trim so pretty harsh ride, but I imagine a 2012 V6 EX-L would be a nice car. The 2013/14 Accord is cheap, they cramped all the buttons and gimmicks, but they seem like the worst quality, read some online forums about the radio freezing with loud static noise or rear view camera staying on LCD when moving forward (both problems need car to pull over, turn off, turn back on, no fix yet from Honda), CVT spinning when car is off (TSB), brake noise on turns (TSB).

If you are considering leasing a new car, I really like Infiniti, they are very well performing cars. We looked at a G35x back in 2009 for my wife, but being practical as she is she wanted a Mazda 5 to get the kids in and out (her loss), My mother in-law has a 2011 EX35 and it is also a very nice drive.
But I am not sure about the long term reliability, buying new would get you all the warranties, a couple of colleagues at work have G35/G37s and are happy with them, I am not sure what sort of long term issues they experienced, but they never complained about nothing more than wear and tear (OEM brakes go fast, drinks gas, etc...). I am not sure specifically about the new Q50 with the steer by wire.

Whatever you choose good luck, personally research drives me crazy. I go to multiple user review sites and truedelta is very helpful for the more popular cars (given they have enough owners to get a representative sample size) you can see what people had fixed on their cars and determine what sort of experience you are in for. I posted on this forum because amazingly other than edmunds and a few other sites, there aren't a lot of GS owners posting online, perhaps that is a good thing since the complainers are usually the first to go online.

http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability
Old 01-01-14, 11:08 AM
LexFather

Congrats and welcome. Nice fair opinions in here
Old 01-03-14, 09:32 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the GS fam
Old 01-06-14, 05:33 AM
Rphilip
Rookie

BGG what wheels are on your GS? I am looking for a 5 star setup with a stepped lip. Yours wheels look great on your car!