GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Trunk Release Button Cover Melting (includes DIY Replacement of Release Button Cover)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-15, 11:28 PM
kazuto88
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have the same problem. However, mine was REALLY bad...to the point that the entire center of the piece was just hanging off...it was so bad, I just ended up ripping it off...I'm guessing it has something to do with leaving your car in extreme heat. I usually park my car in the shade or garage but for the past couple of months I was forced to park in the sun. At that time here in HI, it was about 90 degrees. Is it bad if I just leave it as is? It won't mess up the wiring or anything if it rains will it?
Old 06-25-15, 06:41 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

if water gets in there, it could short out
Old 07-08-15, 09:44 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Thanks to CAK 500, I was able to replace my trunk release button in a timely and cost-effective manner. Cheers!

Old 07-11-15, 10:56 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Thanks to CAK 500, I was able to replace my trunk release button in a timely and cost-effective manner. Cheers!

Glad everything worked out. Lexus really should issue a Technical Service Bulletin on this problem.
Old 07-12-15, 06:59 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't believe anyone with an extended Lexus warranty is being denied...my dealer replaced mine no questions asked.

The tech who replaced mine said they changed the composition of the rubber on the button. He said this one shouldn't melt. Time will tell...
Old 07-13-15, 09:31 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why did it melt? there is no heat there.
Old 07-13-15, 10:53 AM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I was told it's chemicals...who know...but it's like putting your hand in tar that's almost cured...horrible...
Old 07-13-15, 09:10 PM
kennyray
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
I was told it's chemicals...who know...but it's like putting your hand in tar that's almost cured...horrible...
I did mine tonight and it was worse than any pictured so far (I should have taken a picture!). The whole thing was goo. In fact, before I read the forum I was SURE someone did a Jerry-rig with tar and I really wanted to kick them in their particulars (anyone get that reference?).

Anyway, I would also like to draw attention to step 1, which had no picture. Because it was a one liner and I'm a visual guy (engineer), I glossed over it and then was confused as to why I couldn't remove the back panel! The panel will not come off if the license plate screws are installed. Don't forget step 1!

I would also like to mention that there are a LOT of trim removal tools (I have several), but the one I found most effective was the standard steel one that looks like a big flat screwdriver with a notch in the tip:

I used this one:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0681&ppt=C0063

This one would also work (and maybe better?):
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0681&ppt=C0063

Thans for the post -- it would have been MUCH tougher without it!
Old 07-25-15, 03:53 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's mine. Did everything today in about an hour. Already had all the tools so it was pretty easy. I'd also recommend goo gone to help remove the residual melted rubber and some simple green to remove the grease/grime
Old 07-27-15, 08:40 PM
kennyray
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by worker
why did it melt? there is no heat there.
I don't think it is a heat issue. Rubber is a thermal set i.e. once set it won't melt, but if it gets too hot it disintegrates, but not to it's original state of rubbery goo.

On occasion I have had incompatible plastics next to each other cause one or both of them to melt. I think that is what is going on here. So, either the rubber cover on the switch wasn't properly cured (vulcanized), or it is a type of flexible plastic (not rubber) that is having a chemical reaction to something else in the switch. Anyway -- that's my guess.
Old 08-01-15, 01:43 PM
Jlindberg
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350 Truck Latch Cover

Originally Posted by worker
I would find out the core of the problem instead just replacing it.

I wouldn't expect Lexus putting in a defect material, but it is a possibility.
Well you may include me on the list of owners that have the melting truck latch cover. I have a 2008 RX350 with the same problem. Anyone know a good online place to order a replacement. I would think Lexus would honor a recall on this.
Old 10-19-15, 10:44 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Oh it melts. How much is the rubber part? I really need to do this... And no tsb for this?

Old 10-20-15, 04:50 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

go to ebay and search the part number. good prices there.
Old 05-16-16, 08:00 AM
riverfour
Driver School Candidate

Thank OP for the detail writing up. I ordered the part from lexuspartsnow.com. The only thing I want to point out is that you need to remove the backing camera if you have one. This will make putting the metal panel back easily when you are done with the part replacement. I struggled quite a few minutes and realized that.
Old 06-11-16, 06:33 PM
bluerocket
Driver School Candidate

Default Mine melted too

I have a 2005 IS 250. The trunk button has melted and is oozing out some really industrial grade stuff. It might be covered under warranty and the service writer at my dealer said ozone causes them to fail. Nice GM levels of quality going on there. It might be covered under warranty; although I really doubt that Toyota will fix it for free. That would be 400$ more towards the relentless pursuit of perfection.

Quick Reply: Trunk Release Button Cover Melting (includes DIY Replacement of Release Button Cover)