GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

TPMS Check System gone and no TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-13, 04:27 PM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Check System gone and no TPMS?

So I bought some aftermarket wheels(here on the forums) I installed them on the car and everything was fine. A month later my friend installs new brake pads and new rotors for my car. He also rotates the wheels because they weren't in rotation. I installed them backwards left on right and right on left for both front and back. I get the car back and the "Check System" Light is on.

Took it to get an alignment a few days and asked the guy about my TPMS. The guy told me TPMS was not on the aftermarket wheels because the tube was rubber and not metal. He said he even scanned it and no sensors found. My first thought...when my rotors/brakes were getting installed they were removed(friend had the car for 2 days and brought it to 2 different shops because of problems).

Today I bring out my stock wheels and put them next to the car. I press the button under the steering wheel "Pressure Initial" popped up and the "Check System" Light was gone. So I put the wheels back in the house and start the car again. The "Check System" light is gone. Drove around for 20-30mins and the light didn't come back on.

So...do I have TPMS on my aftermarket rims or not? Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a delay before it realizes my TPMS from the stock rims are not in the area anymore? or what?
Old 09-18-13, 04:46 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Ive had the same issue the light will go away for a few days and will pop right back up on you. Best bet is to take the factory wheels to a wheel shop and swap the valve stems if the aftermarket wheels are what you will be driving on.
Old 09-18-13, 04:49 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

That's really interesting

The stem should be steel unless the sensor was not installed in the first place ?
Old 09-18-13, 05:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes there is a delay between the tpms light triggers. i forgot what it is but it's like 50 miles or so. so basically if you have stock wheels at home and you go in and out not too far every day, you might never see the warning lights at all

look at your stock wheels, if the valve stems are metal, that's the tpms. if you have rubber tubes on your aftermarket, you don't

pretty sure that's what happened
Old 09-18-13, 06:59 PM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a delay from when the TPMS system will read. Like Rominl said unless there's a sudden lost of pressure found, the system checks around 50 miles or when you complete a certain criteria.

Most likely the wheels you brought did not have sensors on them, because either way you had to program the sensors from the aftermarket wheels into the TPMS system for it to function properly
Old 09-18-13, 11:01 PM
GS2100
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quoting what you said "Took it to get an alignment a few days and asked the guy about my TPMS. The guy told me TPMS was not on the aftermarket wheels because the tube was rubber and not metal. He said he even scanned it and no sensors found."

You don't TPMS on the aftermarket wheels.

easy fix just take your old rims to a tire shop and have them swap out the aftermarket rubber tire stems with the original factory TPMS stems .
Old 09-18-13, 11:37 PM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
yes there is a delay between the tpms light triggers. i forgot what it is but it's like 50 miles or so. so basically if you have stock wheels at home and you go in and out not too far every day, you might never see the warning lights at all

look at your stock wheels, if the valve stems are metal, that's the tpms. if you have rubber tubes on your aftermarket, you don't

That sounds reasonable. I've drove from oakland to san jose and back to hayward 50mile+. It could be 50miles+ but that would make sense because the wheels are in my garage.

Originally Posted by Mikeyy
There's a delay from when the TPMS system will read. Like Rominl said unless there's a sudden lost of pressure found, the system checks around 50 miles or when you complete a certain criteria.

Most likely the wheels you brought did not have sensors on them, because either way you had to program the sensors from the aftermarket wheels into the TPMS system for it to function properly
That's what I was thinking. I would have had to program the tpms to my car even if it did have TPMS in them when i purchased them.

Originally Posted by GS2100
Quoting what you said "Took it to get an alignment a few days and asked the guy about my TPMS. The guy told me TPMS was not on the aftermarket wheels because the tube was rubber and not metal. He said he even scanned it and no sensors found."

You don't TPMS on the aftermarket wheels.

easy fix just take your old rims to a tire shop and have them swap out the aftermarket rubber tire stems with the original factory TPMS stems .

I reread the labor description and It just said "no tpms found" so i'm not sure if he scanned it or not. He was 100% sure from the start because of the rubber part. So it makes me wonder if they have these installed http://www.iforged.com/press/may25/tpms2.jpg

Seller phone is not in service, he is no longer active on the forums, and doesn't reply to emails. to ask if a 90degree adapter is installed.
Old 09-19-13, 01:04 AM
GS2100
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you don't have your old ones you can find them here for like 100 bucks that's what i did for my summer rims.
Old 09-19-13, 03:55 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

correct

i never had tpms in my aftermarket wheels and i never parked anywhere close to my stock wheels that it would pick it up. the system check after 50 miles so if you drive less than 50 miles and turn your car off, it wont sense it. when i use to take my car to the beach (which is about 80 miles away) i would just pull over half way through, turn the car off then turn it back on and i was good.
Old 09-19-13, 10:20 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like an inconvenience for what.... $50 TPMS sensors (each)?
Old 09-19-13, 10:57 AM
TexasTaco
Driver

$30ish each off amazon
Old 09-19-13, 05:57 PM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

I just picked a set up from a member on here. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-19-13, 08:26 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by TexasTaco
$30ish each off amazon
Hot deal! Link?

Originally Posted by aLexGS350
I just picked a set up from a member on here. Thanks for the info!
Nice, and grats! Enjoy the new wheels
Old 09-20-13, 03:22 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Sounds like an inconvenience for what.... $50 TPMS sensors (each)?
eh for the few times i drove that far, it wasnt worth the investment for me considering the wheels only stayed on 6 months out of the year
Old 09-20-13, 07:37 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
eh for the few times i drove that far, it wasnt worth the investment for me considering the wheels only stayed on 6 months out of the year
LOL... to each their own brother, to each their own....

My face gets everytime I see ANYTHING pop-up on the dash..... I'm honestly STILL not use to the green headlight/foglight indicator on the dash.... It makes me feel like another CEL went off lol.

Quick Reply: TPMS Check System gone and no TPMS?