GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Driver-side Headlight Issues, 2007 GS350

Old 09-16-13, 11:01 AM
Flanker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver-side Headlight Issues, 2007 GS350

Two months ago my left headlight began to fail, sometimes it came on initially and then would fail. Sometimes if would flicker, then fail. Sometimes it wouldn't come on until I turned the switch off and on again. Had the bulb replaced at Lexus dealership for approx $250. Two days later I began having the same problems as before. Lexus dealership then told me my ballast must be bad and should be replaced, a part that had a $1,250 price tag. I Googled GS 350 Headlight Ballast and found they could be had for around $150. Confused I called the Lexus dealership again and sought a reason for the vast difference in the prices for the headlight ballast. Finally, the dealer rep advised that the previously cited $1.250 cost to replace the ballast was actually the cost of an entire headlight assembly which included the ballast. He explained that Lexus policy dictates replacement of the entire headlight assembly even when only a ballast was needed. In other words there is no Lexus protocol for replacement of the ballast only. So I had the entire headlight assembly replaced for approximately $1500 (parts & labor), bringing my total cash outlay to about $1,750 bucks to fix the initial faulty headlight. Two days after the entire headlight assembly was installed, the same headlight failed again, leaving me with the same issues I had before spending a dime for the so-called repairs. Now people are telling me my relay or wiring might be faulty. I'm now totally frustrated and in need of good advice on how to proceed. What say ye?
Old 09-16-13, 11:58 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

wow sorry to hear. an easy way to tell if its your bulb or ballast is to swap the bulbs to the other sides. if the problem follows to the other side, then its a faulty bulb. if the problem stays, then its more than likely the ballast. the fact that they cant pin point this for you would **** me off. thats what your paying them for. you can replace just the ballast however i know lexus likes to just sell a full replacement part.

i would go to a different dealer and get a second opinion because honestly, the techs are the one you are going to do not seem very competent .
Old 09-16-13, 07:49 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Lighting is one of the MOST simplest electricals in a car..... especially the 3GS, sensors for your AVS, a couple relays, and balllasts for bulb power.... *sigh*.

Agreed with IXI on this, swap bulbs left and right and see if the problem goes to the opposite side, that will tell you what's wrong. You can also buy a cheaper ballast replacement if that's what's broken. Do a DIY fix or have a competent shop modify your factory ballasts for you.
Old 09-16-13, 11:59 PM
3DSIXGS350
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar issue to yours less than 6 months ago. I had the driverside Low beam fire up on start up then within about 15 minutes of running it would just go out. I would turn off the lights then turn them back on and it would fire back up, but just so it would shortly cut out again. I purchased an upgraded set of 6000K HIDs to replace both lights. My tech stated that thats how those HID's begin to fail. After installation of both new bulbs, after about 2 weeks of install the passenger side bulb started to fail after about 30 minutes of being on. I noticed it would cut out on right turns when the adaptive system would turn the light to the right. I would turn off the lights and as long as I did not turn to the right it would stay on. As it turns out, it was just my luck, I got a faulty bulb. I purchased another new set and all my problems have been resolved. It was never a ballast issue. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 09-30-13, 04:57 AM
sdg
Driver School Candidate

Having similar problem with 2007 GS350 passenger side low beam. On/off intermittent. If I play with the steering column switch and turn it from auto to on to off to high beam to low beam it will usually come on and stay on for some period. Dealership told me it is a sign of a failing bulb. They want $300 + for a new bulb installed. I understand that access to the bulb is difficult on that side. Am reluctant to spend the $ given the posted threads about entire assemblies and ballast problems. Sounds like you just keep giving them $ until they fix the problem undiagnosed.
Old 09-30-13, 05:03 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Well really there's no true way to diagnose the problem, unless you flip the bulbs to see if the problem follows the opposing side.

Otherwise, it would be your ballast if it stays same side, different bulb.
Old 09-30-13, 05:23 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg
Having similar problem with 2007 GS350 passenger side low beam. On/off intermittent. If I play with the steering column switch and turn it from auto to on to off to high beam to low beam it will usually come on and stay on for some period. Dealership told me it is a sign of a failing bulb. They want $300 + for a new bulb installed. I understand that access to the bulb is difficult on that side. Am reluctant to spend the $ given the posted threads about entire assemblies and ballast problems. Sounds like you just keep giving them $ until they fix the problem undiagnosed.
swap the bulbs to the opposite sides. its really not hard to swap them as you can easily get access to them.
Old 10-30-13, 07:49 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

So this is very interesting.

Seems like we're all suffering from the same problem here. Is it really the relay harness? I'm about to swap the bulbs to see if the problem persists in the bulb or hid ecu.
Old 10-30-13, 07:59 PM
XxGoKoUxX

technically theres' no relay harness involved, it's just a headlight relay in your fusebox area. I highly doubt that's the problem though..... There are write-ups on how to swap out OEM ballasts for the low low (ebay) and a bit of elbow grease (taking headlight off and soldering on lines).

I'm sure 80% of the people on here who get the headlights shutting off are having bulb-expiration. I had it too after 1-year of owning my car, swapped to garax bulbs and have never looked back tbh. (I purchased my car in 2009 or 2010, it was an 06 so 4-5 year old bulbs aren't bad).
Old 10-31-13, 05:38 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Replace the bulbs. HIDs can go out and then relight after you flip them off then on. It is the sign of the bulb needing replacement. I'd go there first.
Old 10-31-13, 08:18 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

what stupo said
Old 10-31-13, 07:10 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Yea, from what I've been reading most of the guys here are having their driver side bulbs go out but mine are going out usually from driver to passenger but after about 5-10 minutes of driving I'll lose both lights.

I'm starting with new bulbs first.
Old 01-12-14, 11:18 AM
StevenC56
Driver

Did anybody ever figure out what the failed component is with this issue? My wife's 07 GS350 started to drop out the passenger low beam intermittently about a week ago.
Old 01-12-14, 01:00 PM
XxGoKoUxX

read the above.... results vary from car to car, as MULTIPLE problems derive from one symptom.
Old 01-12-14, 01:19 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

mine was the cheap assed bulb

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver-side Headlight Issues, 2007 GS350