GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Just bought a GSh check engine light came up

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-13, 10:13 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Ive seafoamed my car with a bottle and a half into the intake. It really did clear up and now the engine is very smooth.

I did it in moderating, and let the seafoam sit in the engine for 30min breaks before burning it out.

I would also clean out the throttle body, and air filter. Also when running plugs I would only use oem denso plugs, as these cars are sensitive to plugs.

I seafoamed the crap outta my GS430 when I had it and I 2-3 weeks later when changing a knock sensor noticed the difference seafoam made. When you say "into the intake" I took a quick glance and I'm not exactly sure where to seafoam this car.. Is the a particular vacuum line on the GS450h I should use?
Old 09-10-13, 10:31 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo8
I seafoamed the crap outta my GS430 when I had it and I 2-3 weeks later when changing a knock sensor noticed the difference seafoam made. When you say "into the intake" I took a quick glance and I'm not exactly sure where to seafoam this car.. Is the a particular vacuum line on the GS450h I should use?
I have a GS350 and right behind the throttle body theres a pretty big sized black plug right on top of the intake. I actually had to put 2 smaller vacuum tubes to get it thin enough to control how much is going into the intake. Like I said I used 1 1/2 cans just in the intake. I would put ingest 1/2 can and let it sit for 30min then idle for 2min and repeat. I would never press on the gas, always at idle, it got to the point where I had check engine light come on. So much smoke was coming out of my car, even when I didnt drive the vehicle for 3 days It still smoked lol.
Old 09-11-13, 02:44 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure how I would do this on a GSh be it that the gasoline engine only comes on when needed..
Old 09-11-13, 04:32 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure how I would do this on a GSh be it that the gasoline engine only comes on when needed..
Run a longer vacuum line into the car, drive the car around the block and let it ingest the seafoam then let it sit so the chemicals can work then drive again
Old 09-12-13, 09:22 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

That's sounds like a little more than I'm willing to do, ill change out the spark plugs myself, seafoam to the gas tank 2 or 3 full tanks and pay Lexus to do a throttle and valve cleaning for me.
Old 09-12-13, 10:36 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

That's sounds like a little more than I'm willing to do, ill change out the spark plugs myself, seafoam to the gas tank 2 or 3 full tanks and pay Lexus to do a throttle and valve cleaning for me.
If your going to have lexus or toyota do a top engine clean, I would leave the old plugs in and replace after the cleaning.

As far as throttle body, that is the easiest job to do, as it only takes 15min to remove and clean. All you do is take off the rubber hose connected to it, remove for bolts. Spray some sort of cleaner in and out of the TB. Lift the butterfly and clean it really good. WD40 is a good cleaner for that.

Another route you can buy a can of GM top engine cleaner foam spray and spray a little into each spark plug hole.
Old 09-17-13, 10:31 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Gave the car to the dealer the "Shop Forman/Certified Hybrid Tech" is working on it has had it since Saturday... so we shall see what the outcome is.
Old 09-17-13, 11:12 AM
twleung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Lexus finally called me back. Said they were to start from scratch and figure out my problem. They have now contacted Lexus Canada.

They said the injectors are not the problem now and this is what they came up with. Change spark plugs and change the timing chain because it is stretched. I paid 1000$ last time for them to fix the problem because they said it is off a tooth .

To me they didn't fix anything at all, if they are coming back at me telling me, I need to replace the chain which costs 5100$ (25 hrs of shop time + misc gaskets etc.) + 610 dollars for new spark plugs. I'm pissed. So from a engine check light 30$ diagnose to 1000$ clear the engine check light code (chain jumped a tooth) to we need to change 12 injectors to now timing chain is what the engineers said. I'm pretty sure chains were invented so they wouldn't need to be replaced in a long time (my car has just it 92,000kms) What the heck is next. Any insight will be deeeply appreciated and taken to my heart.
Old 09-17-13, 11:26 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twleung
So Lexus finally called me back. Said they were to start from scratch and figure out my problem. They have now contacted Lexus Canada.

They said the injectors are not the problem now and this is what they came up with. Change spark plugs and change the timing chain because it is stretched. I paid 1000$ last time for them to fix the problem because they said it is off a tooth .

To me they didn't fix anything at all, if they are coming back at me telling me, I need to replace the chain which costs 5100$ (25 hrs of shop time + misc gaskets etc.) + 610 dollars for new spark plugs. I'm pissed. So from a engine check light 30$ diagnose to 1000$ clear the engine check light code (chain jumped a tooth) to we need to change 12 injectors to now timing chain is what the engineers said. I'm pretty sure chains were invented so they wouldn't need to be replaced in a long time (my car has just it 92,000kms) What the heck is next. Any insight will be deeeply appreciated and taken to my heart.
Ya, I wouldn't pay a dime, I would actually run to another dealer or another reputable garage mechanic that specializes in Lexus and or Japanese cars.

$610 for new spark plugs is just insane, I would file a complaint with this dealership through Lexus Canada
Old 09-17-13, 03:57 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

I would definitely goto another dealership QUICKLY... In other news I was told my Catalct covertors also need to be changed and they are contacting the warranty company since I only purchased the car a week ago they haven't gotten my paperwork yet. I have a $100 deductible for repairs... I don't think I should be responsible for anything being I haven't even driven 100 miles and already major repairs are needed

P0300 multi cylinder misfire
P0301 cylinder 1 misfire
P0303 cylinder 3 misfire

Are the codes that I had pulled at the auto parts store apparently Lexus picked up another.. What do you guys think?
Old 09-17-13, 04:32 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

I would definitely goto another dealership QUICKLY... In other news I was told my Catalct covertors also need to be changed and they are contacting the warranty company since I only purchased the car a week ago they haven't gotten my paperwork yet. I have a $100 deductible for repairs... I don't think I should be responsible for anything being I haven't even driven 100 miles and already major repairs are needed

P0300 multi cylinder misfire
P0301 cylinder 1 misfire
P0303 cylinder 3 misfire

Are the codes that I had pulled at the auto parts store apparently Lexus picked up another.. What do you guys think?
To me it sounds like you have a bad camshaft sensor or some how the cam timing is off. Because why is the misfire to only one side of the engine. I would def take it back to the Lexus of Tampa and have them service it for free.
Old 09-17-13, 05:07 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ibidu1
To me it sounds like you have a bad camshaft sensor or some how the cam timing is off. Because why is the misfire to only one side of the engine. I would def take it back to the Lexus of Tampa and have them service it for free.
It's at Lexus of Tampa they are the ones trying to contact my warranty company, I honestly don't care if they do a warranty claim as long as it doesn't cost me anything but I have t gotten a definite diagnosis from them yet. When I pulled the plugs they looked like they needed to be changed.. (To me anyway) I don't know if I have any leverage with these people bring that I already purchased the car signed all the paperwork a week ago
Old 09-17-13, 05:23 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

It's at Lexus of Tampa they are the ones trying to contact my warranty company, I honestly don't care if they do a warranty claim as long as it doesn't cost me anything but I have t gotten a definite diagnosis from them yet. When I pulled the plugs they looked like they needed to be changed.. (To me anyway) I don't know if I have any leverage with these people bring that I already purchased the car signed all the paperwork a week ago
Speak to the used car salesman that sold you the vehicle and tell him I am not pleased with this vehicle you sold me.

Tell them you no longer want the vehicle if they cannot repair it for free. You purchased the vehicle with the assumption that it was in good running condition, without any issues. But 100 miles the used car dealer needs to bite the bullet and not the warranty.

Anybody can clear codes and those codes eventually come back in a few days. This is what I think happened in your case. Probably from the person who sold the vehicle to lexus, and the car sat on the lot not being driven.
Old 09-18-13, 10:48 AM
twleung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe this nightmare. If I was to bring it to another Lexus dealer I will continue to pay for diagnose and probably the same thing all over may happen. I am almost ready to write a formal complaint. They told me that it will cost over 5100$ just for the timing chain job and 610$ for the spark plugs, I might as well buy a new car... after fixing this engine probably theres still other things to pay for winter tires eventually brakes again etc. what to do what to do????
Old 09-18-13, 11:11 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twleung
I can't believe this nightmare. If I was to bring it to another Lexus dealer I will continue to pay for diagnose and probably the same thing all over may happen. I am almost ready to write a formal complaint. They told me that it will cost over 5100$ just for the timing chain job and 610$ for the spark plugs, I might as well buy a new car... after fixing this engine probably theres still other things to pay for winter tires eventually brakes again etc. what to do what to do????
Take my advice, leave that dealership they seem to be scam artists. Speak to the service manager and ask for a full refund, explain to him you were unable to properly diagnose and properly repair my car I want all of my money back. He may give you a hard time, and even may bargain with you with partial refund. But leave that dealership it seems like it is bad news.

I would file a complaint!

Quick Reply: Just bought a GSh check engine light came up