GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

changing touch screen from japanese to english

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 05:29 PM
rsmading
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got in touch with Lexus international and the consensus is that it cant be changed... or at least not simply. You would have to change out the entire unit which is cost prohibitive of course..They couldn't even help with replacement buttons / face plates in English.

It's really only a nice-to-do as i don't think i wold ever use the Nav, would be nice for things to be in English though of course, but not a big deal! Make sure you get an English owners manual set, it's a great help.

I'm also looking at installing on of these - http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-droid.php
Old 09-17-14, 02:22 PM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I start the car it asks me to choose the language everytime on my Nav . You don't have that option ?
Old 03-13-16, 01:39 PM
modz
Driver School Candidate

Dragging up an old thread (another Auckland/ NZer), I'm currently looking at the following options for my Jap import ISF:

1) Replacing the buttons on the facia with USDM ones (IS models all appear to be the same)
2) Replacing the whole unit with a non-Jap version ex UK, US or AU
3) Replacing the whole unit with a newer aftermarket touch screen. Perhaps an apple mini or similar with custom facia.

What I am still not clear on is where the touchscreen picks up the language settings from...I presume that it is in the touchscreen interface itself, just as normal stereos / navi's are.

Now parts are *slightly* cheaper, I'm hoping this becomes a real possibility. Will report back with findings so others can share.
Old 04-06-16, 06:59 PM
toyotaae86
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys Im from OEM Audio in CHCH New Zealand .We have a kit for the lexus/harrier which will allow full NZ GPS Maps , reversing camera and Bluetooth please visit www.oemaudio.co.nz and check us out .i AM currently looking into doing a conversion kit for the lexus RX350 2012 models .
Old 04-07-16, 02:41 AM
Neihana
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaae86
Hi guys Im from OEM Audio in CHCH New Zealand .We have a kit for the lexus/harrier which will allow full NZ GPS Maps , reversing camera and Bluetooth please visit www.oemaudio.co.nz and check us out .i AM currently looking into doing a conversion kit for the lexus RX350 2012 models .
what are the options for a 2008 isf conversion to English?
Old 04-07-16, 04:34 PM
toyotaae86
Driver School Candidate

hi guys our kit has only been tested on the toyota harrier /lexus rx300 2004 to 2009 we have not tested it in any outher cars yet as we dont have the cars to test them on .We are also working on a intergration kit which we have had succes with other toyota models including corolla and hilux
Old 05-15-16, 04:11 PM
modz
Driver School Candidate

Default Jap to English update.

I brought in a unit from Aussie and installed it to convert my car from Jap to English.

Tips:
  1. The model year means everything - there are subtle differences between units
  2. Don't expect all the functions to keep working - e.g. my stereo piece (below the Navi) has Mini Disc
    Not that I ever used it, but the Navi units in these cars treat each button (AM/FM, MD, CD/AUX, Video) as separate inputs, so has separate plugs to receive the signal. The new unit only had plugs for CD and AM/FM. Fine by me tho
  3. IS250/350 units are the same as ISF units
  4. Be careful removing the unit, especially scratching the ashtray - these units are HEAVY and scratch everything possible. I wrapped towels/cloths over everything I could to be extra careful

Now I'm done, I have a fully functioning ENGLISH screen and buttons (incl Steering wheel). Much nicer

Pity the Jap text on the gauge cluster can't be resolved easily.
The following users liked this post:
Gavn (05-09-17)
Old 05-09-17, 11:15 AM
Gavn
Driver School Candidate

Default Japanese to English

Originally Posted by toyotaae86

HI. Can I apply this kit to the 2006 gs 4.3 Lexus?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-17, 03:28 PM
Gavn
Driver School Candidate

'I brought in a unit from Aussie and installed it to convert my car from Jap to English'.
Hi Modz.
I realize your post was back in May last year, Can you supply a link to your navi purchase. Soundz like the go. Thanks.
Old 05-11-17, 12:04 PM
Lead Lap

Received 750 Likes on 504 Posts

It maybe model year dependent. Both my 2010 gs 460 and 2011rx 450h can be easily changed to English - the Nav unit. Not the Multi info display above the speedo, that stays in Japanese.
Old 01-17-18, 11:51 PM
Euandean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by modz
I brought in a unit from Aussie and installed it to convert my car from Jap to English.

Tips:
  2. Don't expect all the functions to keep working - e.g. my stereo piece (below the Navi) has Mini Disc
    Not that I ever used it, but the Navi units in these cars treat each button (AM/FM, MD, CD/AUX, Video) as separate inputs, so has separate plugs to receive the signal. The new unit only had plugs for CD and AM/FM. Fine by me tho
  4. Be careful removing the unit, especially scratching the ashtray - these units are HEAVY and scratch everything possible. I wrapped towels/cloths over everything I could to be extra careful

Now I'm done, I have a fully functioning ENGLISH screen and buttons (incl Steering wheel). Much nicer

Hi
Im looking at doing this too but do the Jap connctors just plug straight in or do you need to make changes to wiring
Cheers Dean
Old 02-28-18, 05:25 PM
Hayce
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by modz

Tips:

Bumping old thread.. Fellow Kiwi here with a GS460. Got a unit out of another same year, 460 in Aussie and they aren't compatible it seems. The screen comes on and the radio works but it can't connect to A/C or any of the menus.

My original Japanese unit has a few more connections than the Aussie version, a lot do connect up though. Don't suppose anyone has a wiring diagram for these things? Toyota/Lexus NZ can't get them.

Edit: actually it does talk to the AC. Guess I didn't have the plugs seated properly. Still no menus yet.

Last edited by Hayce; 03-05-18 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-17-18, 06:06 PM
johnson242
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 703
It maybe model year dependent. Both my 2010 gs 460 and 2011rx 450h can be easily changed to English - the Nav unit. Not the Multi info display above the speedo, that stays in Japanese.
Could you please provide details on how? I can’t read any of the menus to figure it out 😩
Old 09-28-18, 03:38 PM
nipisar1
Driver School Candidate

Default It is possible

I have gs350 2010 RWD in Auckland. There is an option to turn English menu on. Not all menu features but useful part of it. It takes some play and a lot of guessing with Japanese SETUP menu
Old 09-30-18, 07:46 AM
johnson242
Driver School Candidate

Default help

Any idea where or what it was under?

Quick Reply: changing touch screen from japanese to english