GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Clear Bra paint protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 11:35 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clear Bra paint protection Film

Lexus Dealer quoted $1000 to install 3M scotchgard to my 2010 lexus gs 350.

Bumper, hood, fender, mirrors.

Is this price reasonable or its to high?

I asked dealer if it comes with warranty they said it comes with 1 year warranty on "parts"
but they were not unsure and they had to call their private installer to confirm that. So anyone know if it comes with warranty or no?
Old 08-20-13, 12:45 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

That's a bit much for clear vinyl wrapping IMO.

Have you looked at other private installers to see how much it is?

From my experience, Lexus hires local shops to do these jobs.... They're just a middle man with a higher price tag.

The paint and autobody center at Lexus Of Orlando is literally the same guys who painted my lip kit too, I happen to run into one of the workers on my way to drop off my car at the dealership and found this out lol.
Old 08-20-13, 01:34 AM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
That's a bit much for clear vinyl wrapping IMO.

Have you looked at other private installers to see how much it is?

From my experience, Lexus hires local shops to do these jobs.... They're just a middle man with a higher price tag.

The paint and autobody center at Lexus Of Orlando is literally the same guys who painted my lip kit too, I happen to run into one of the workers on my way to drop off my car at the dealership and found this out lol.
Your definitely correct! They do hire local shops to do the job.
You know to be honest with you if i take the car to a private installer and pay them $800 for them to put the film and they tell me it comes with 5 year warranty 2 years later it yellows/peels off i go back to their location and see they closed down or ran out of business what will happen at that time?

Good thing about the dealer is that they won't close down but they might move to a different place.

The dealer i service my car is at longo lexus in el monte in socal
Old 08-20-13, 06:24 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is very high and also 3M is a poor quality film. Go with either Suntek or Xpel Ultimate. for that coverage you should be looking at the $600-800 range.
Old 08-20-13, 07:22 AM
3GS404
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do u live in Socal ? If yes then there is a shop in El Monte called "MV Wrapped" he offer life time guarantee of his wrap and he only use 3M products

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 08-20-13, 08:39 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
Lexus Dealer quoted $1000 to install 3M scotchgard to my 2010 lexus gs 350.

Bumper, hood, fender, mirrors.

Is this price reasonable or its to high?

I asked dealer if it comes with warranty they said it comes with 1 year warranty on "parts"
but they were not unsure and they had to call their private installer to confirm that. So anyone know if it comes with warranty or no?
Thats expensive, I called around and the dealer matched the lowest price I found. I would try that and then go to your dealer with that price.
Old 08-20-13, 02:28 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

I think $1000 is also a little to expensive.
I was looking to pay around $800 max.

Also, Im thinking of doing bumper/hood only.
What you guys think?

I dont think anything will happen to the fenders....
Old 08-20-13, 02:29 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 3GS404
Do u live in Socal ? If yes then there is a shop in El Monte called "MV Wrapped" he offer life time guarantee of his wrap and he only use 3M products

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Ya I live in Pasadena. I will check them out thanks!
Old 08-20-13, 05:34 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

What you guys think?

I still think that's to high as well, you should be able to get around the $500-$600 range with mirrors, hood, front bumper and side fender.
Old 08-20-13, 10:14 PM
XxGoKoUxX

What you guys think?

Granted I agree with you, about the bumper+hood only..... I think 800 max is still more than fair. It is literally clear vinyl wrap.... a little thicker in texture maybe, but that is it my friend.

While I do agree with you on the vinyling, I disagree to the fenders ordeal.... as things can happen to fenders, I have a rock chip on the side of my fender for god knows what reason, but it's there, and it was due to driving behind a semi-truck.... After I got my act together and got more well-adjusted to highway driving, I steer far away from ALL cars, whether it be big or small now.

I've got so many rock chips, scrapes, and scratches on my front bumper, hood, and fenders, I think I should have just paid a few hundred dollars like you and got it done. Instead I'm paying $1200 to have half of my car (both fenders, hood, front bumper, rear bumper, and roof) repainted all at once.
Old 08-20-13, 11:12 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Granted I agree with you, about the bumper+hood only..... I think 800 max is still more than fair. It is literally clear vinyl wrap.... a little thicker in texture maybe, but that is it my friend.

While I do agree with you on the vinyling, I disagree to the fenders ordeal.... as things can happen to fenders, I have a rock chip on the side of my fender for god knows what reason, but it's there, and it was due to driving behind a semi-truck.... After I got my act together and got more well-adjusted to highway driving, I steer far away from ALL cars, whether it be big or small now.

I've got so many rock chips, scrapes, and scratches on my front bumper, hood, and fenders, I think I should have just paid a few hundred dollars like you and got it done. Instead I'm paying $1200 to have half of my car (both fenders, hood, front bumper, rear bumper, and roof) repainted all at once.
Well my cars is 2010 it isnt brand new there are very tiny rock chips that are not noticeable unless you shove your head in the bumper LOL but i don't want it to get worse!
Old 08-21-13, 08:23 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Agreed RYD3R! Unfortunately, these small imperfections bother me greatly..... To a higher degree than you can imagine. I've been poking at my paint guy to open up so I can drop off my car for weeks since I can't stand staring at these scratches and nicks any longer LOL..... I am holding back for a few weeks though because 1200 is a bit steep, especially since school's just started and I'm about broke on funds atm.

Have you checked out any OUTSIDE shops yet to get a price quote? If you want, you can get VINYL, like how some of these 3GS owners vinyl their whole car with a certain color? They have CLEAR vinyl that you can wrap your whole front end with too. Check it out and see how much that is, because I believe wrapping the whole car w/ a colored vinyl costs as much as ur clear bra alone.
Old 08-21-13, 09:27 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Do it yourself and save money, $115 and an hour of your time

These guys sell 3m film http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2011-2012-Lexus-GS-350-3M-VentureShield-Clear-Bra-Kit-/320737133045?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aad6c41f5&vxp=mtr
Old 08-21-13, 10:51 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Do it yourself and save money, $115 and an hour of your time
I'd say if you've never done it, don't waste $115. It is much more complicated than you think. I bought a 3M kit (bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, headlights) online for $200 and paid $300 to my window tinting guy to install it. It took him about 4 hrs. Money well spent. Almost 5 years later, still as good as new.
Old 08-21-13, 11:53 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

I set an appointment to get the 3M clear bra installed.

I will post some pictures when I get it done.

I wish I couldve installed it myself but i dont have the proper tools and i will ruin it if i do it myself. LOL

Quick Reply: Clear Bra paint protection Film