GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Clear Bra paint protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-13, 11:32 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
I have read that the 3M also have this fade effect. The two paint are are just different. The only way to prevent this is to always garage the dam thing which kinda defeat the purpose of a vehicle.

Anyway, it's just too costly for so little benefit if there is any benefit. Cheaper and better without it.

My car is DD. It will see a lot of stuff, chip and dents are just indication the car has gone the miles.
Haha!! I hear ya on that..... My car's actually mostly garaged (until school rolls around, which is now). I know for a fact, after my car comes back from paint shop, i'm def gonna do a good long detail on it and slap some plastidip on it right after to protect it from road debris for the fall and spring season.

I probably garage my car a bit too much, it's been 1 and a 1/2 years and my sealant on the car is still very present, I still sheet off water after hundreds and hundreds of car washes now lol.
Old 08-26-13, 02:57 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Haha!! I hear ya on that..... My car's actually mostly garaged (until school rolls around, which is now). I know for a fact, after my car comes back from paint shop, i'm def gonna do a good long detail on it and slap some plastidip on it right after to protect it from road debris for the fall and spring season.

I probably garage my car a bit too much, it's been 1 and a 1/2 years and my sealant on the car is still very present, I still sheet off water after hundreds and hundreds of car washes now lol.
hundreds of car washses in 1.5 yrs? lol what do you wash your car 4x a week, even tho its sits in the garage?
Old 08-26-13, 04:36 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my car for 5 years or so, and everyday I fall more and more in love with it, so I'm sure i'll be keeping it for another 10 years

If it were just any of my previous cheaper cars, I couldn't of agreed with you more. The GS is the car with the biggest purchase value I made, and I plan on keeping it for years and years to come. That includes the expenses that follow heheh.

I have wasted my money on that "junk" and while I couldn't agree with you more that it gives almost ZERO protection, the front skin does help from keys and whatnot scratching it up. I've dropped my phone with the skin on all around and needless to say, it looked like dookie. After a full housing replacement from Samsung and a Ballistics (rubber surround+hard) case, the phone looks flawless and I can sell the phone as "mint" condition.

That's great! I wanted to try the '13 GS350, but never had a chance too, and I didn't want to push my luck by asking. How did you get them to loan you one?

Yikes, that's some good insight hahaha.... The color fade that is. Did you detail your car and keep up with it over the years? I would imagine that's why the colors looked different in the two areas.

What do you mean by how did you get them to loan you a car?....
I had to wait a day for their "Installers" to come install it they told me to go get a loaner car and will call you when car is ready so I went to the loaner department and told them give me GS and they said its your lucky day we have GS F =]

Longo Lexus is one of the biggest Lexus dealers. They have a lot of loaners car!
Old 08-26-13, 09:28 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by 07LXgs350
hundreds of car washses in 1.5 yrs? lol what do you wash your car 4x a week, even tho its sits in the garage?
My mother cooks in the garage (I do a wash after she cooks if I have the time before the grease bakes into the paint), sometimes I wash my car every other day too, because FL bugs SUCK on these o so short rides to do my errands... My stepfather also cuts wood in the garage so yes..... in the end, I do indeed wash it a bazillion times in the past few years . The car HAS spent most of it's 55k miles in the garage.

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
I had to wait a day for their "Installers" to come install it they told me to go get a loaner car and will call you when car is ready so I went to the loaner department and told them give me GS and they said its your lucky day we have GS F =]

Longo Lexus is one of the biggest Lexus dealers. They have a lot of loaners car!
Oooo!! Lucky you haha!! Here in Lexus of Orlando, you have a few choices.... IS250, ES350, and CT200h...... they're NOW redoing the RX SUV..... Outside of that we get nothing
Old 08-27-13, 04:53 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

My mother cooks in the garage (I do a wash after she cooks if I have the time before the grease bakes into the paint), sometimes I wash my car every other day too, because FL bugs SUCK on these o so short rides to do my errands... My stepfather also cuts wood in the garage so yes..... in the end, I do indeed wash it a bazillion times in the past few years . The car HAS spent most of it's 55k miles in the garage.

Oooo!! Lucky you haha!! Here in Lexus of Orlando, you have a few choices.... IS250, ES350, and CT200h...... they're NOW redoing the RX SUV..... Outside of that we get nothing
I aint trying to pick you on dude, but this is just ridiculous! your ma cooks in the garage and the grease is baking onto the paint? lol whatever you say man.
Old 08-27-13, 07:53 PM
XxGoKoUxX

You don't have to believe me brother, she sauté's food (we're an Asian family, so to sauté/stir fry food is normal), if you're ever in a restaurant, go to the kitchen and look at their hood, GREASE ALL UP THERE, and they clean that thing often too! Otherwise it stains.....

I can show you all the stuff that ISN"T covered in the garage.... I can also send you a # to my paint guy, who complained to me when he was repainting a door for me, because he said when the car was baking, oil residue was all inside his paint booth and screwed up his paint booth...... It wasn't until AFTER the incident with the paint booth, I started to notice and took better care of my car
Old 08-28-13, 03:40 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

You don't have to believe me brother, she sauté's food (we're an Asian family, so to sauté/stir fry food is normal), if you're ever in a restaurant, go to the kitchen and look at their hood, GREASE ALL UP THERE, and they clean that thing often too! Otherwise it stains.....

I can show you all the stuff that ISN"T covered in the garage.... I can also send you a # to my paint guy, who complained to me when he was repainting a door for me, because he said when the car was baking, oil residue was all inside his paint booth and screwed up his paint booth...... It wasn't until AFTER the incident with the paint booth, I started to notice and took better care of my car
lol, ok...so why does she cook in the garage and not the kitchen? Ive never heard of anyone using their garage as a kitchen haha....and if that was the case i wouldnt even park my car in the garage.
Old 08-28-13, 05:37 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx

Lucky, our dealership never has a GS every-time I go in for service I tell my service rep I want an LS loaner he chuckles and says not again. I try this every time in the hopes they will just get one. Well at least you enjoyed the car.
Old 08-28-13, 09:43 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by 07LXgs350
lol, ok...so why does she cook in the garage and not the kitchen? Ive never heard of anyone using their garage as a kitchen haha....and if that was the case i wouldnt even park my car in the garage.
Heh, her house, can't pick and choose brotha... Also, car either sits out in the sun or sits under the shade.... I'd rather the shade lol..... She also cooks in the garage because of the oil and stuff, especially with the splashing and whatnot.... I'll take a picture of my car battery charger tomorrow, just to show ya man! (the car battery charger is on the opposite side of the garage, on a rack where my car is located lol).

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Lucky, our dealership never has a GS every-time I go in for service I tell my service rep I want an LS loaner he chuckles and says not again. I try this every time in the hopes they will just get one. Well at least you enjoyed the car.
IKR!? Lexus Of Orlando had one for my uncle, but never offered me one... What they DON'T know is I'M the one who can afford it, not him
Old 08-30-13, 03:33 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by worker
I have read that the 3M also have this fade effect. The two paint are are just different. The only way to prevent this is to always garage the dam thing which kinda defeat the purpose of a vehicle.

Anyway, it's just too costly for so little benefit if there is any benefit. Cheaper and better without it.

My car is DD. It will see a lot of stuff, chip and dents are just indication the car has gone the miles.
The film is optically clear. So the covered areas and the uncovered areas fade at the same rate. I have pulled film off of a car that had been on there for 8 years. The car sat in the sun everyday and yet the paint was exactly the same shade as the uncovered areas. Sorry but you have "heard" wrong information... film has been out nearly 20 years now and if it truly caused that problem then it wouldn't still be around. I mean what would be the point of protecting the paint if it made it two tone??? Not sure why your happy with it but most people that pay to buy a brand new car would prefer to keep it looking that way... who wants a car that "shows" it's mileage?