GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Headlight Bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 09:04 AM
smadap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Bulb replacement

Sorry for starting a new thread, but I'm ripping what's left of my hair out!

Can someone give me the final word on the wonderful headlights we have been blessed with on our 07 GS350's? After searching the net for hours, there does not seem to be any common answer to this basic question. Dealer wants $250 per bulb just for the part. First time around, I went ahead and paid almost $600 to have the dealer replace my driver's side bulb. At 100K miles, it has now gone out again (passenger still stock - want to replace both).

1. What are the best aftermarket replacement bulbs to get? (not looking for anything crazy - just a good deal on a replacement bulb that is comparable to stock and won't burn out in 4 months)

2. Where should I buy the bulbs?

3. Step by step instructions on replacing the bulbs? (dealer said the bumper has to come off???)

Thanks in advance everyone!!!!
Old 08-09-13, 09:40 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No surprise but your dealer is full of ****. For bulbs, bumper does not come off, just need to remove plastic engine covers under hood.

Easy DIY (with car and headlights off! obviously) sorry no pix but once you look in you'll see it's self explanatory:
  • remove plastic engine covers - mostly just plastic rivets wher you push center pin in and pull entire rivet out - or unscrew the plastic nut. One hard one (a plastic nut) to spot on passenger side toward center of engine compartment but others easily visible
  • then unscrew (turn 30 degrees) clear plastic cap on housing back of headlight (parallel to the sides of vehicle and arrow indicate which way to ope/close)
  • reach into housing and disconnect electric plug, again turns 30 degrees (anti-clockwise IIRC) then pull off to release
  • bulb is held in place w/ wire clip retainer (looks like a bent paperclip) release ends from clips and swing out of way while holding light pressure on bulb end.
  • slide bulb out of socket.
  • replace in reverse - there are keyed tabs on bulb for proper alignment and re-install all connections/covers/clips/etc.

Passenger side has plenty of room to work (small hands needed inside light housing). On drivers do yourself a favor after removing engine covers... use a 10mm socket to disconnect the washer fluid filler neck bracket from rad support and move out of way.

Other tips:
  • use nitrile gloves when handling bulbs and clean them w/ alcohol (denatured preferably) should you touch bulb glass or get them dirty.
  • swap bulbs side to side first to see if issue follows the bulb. If it does, bulbs are bad. If issue remains on the same side, issue is ballast (which does require bumper removal).
  • everyone has their opinion on replacement bulbs but I suggest sticking w/ OEM Philips - 4300K. You can pick up for ~ $80 each from CL sponsor XenonDepot/KBCarstuff here

Good luck
Old 08-09-13, 12:00 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

or............ check here first https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ere-first.html
Old 08-09-13, 03:14 PM
smadap
Driver School Candidate

Burg and Worker, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! This forum really is the BEST and has already saved me a ton of $$$$$. Thanks guys!
Old 08-09-13, 03:39 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow I would never consent to $600 to change a light bulb... I mean, doesn't this just sound completely ridiculous?

$600 to change a lightbulb...

It does to me. I changed both of mine with new OE ones for less than $50 a couple of years ago.
Old 08-09-13, 03:45 PM
smadap
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jay....I know. Sounds stupid to me too now in looking back. However, it was a dealer I trusted, I was swimming in money and I have had cars in the past where seemingly simple things cost a ridiculous amount. If it was a '57 Chevy pickup, I would have called BS and bought a $20 headlight from Autozone and done it myself. When a dealer says the part alone is $250, is a special "sealed projector headlight" and that you "have to remove the bumper to replace it", somehow it made sense at the time. Lesson learned...
Old 08-09-13, 04:34 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Wow I would never consent to $600 to change a light bulb... I mean, doesn't this just sound completely ridiculous?

$600 to change a lightbulb...

It does to me. I changed both of mine with new OE ones for less than $50 a couple of years ago.
It takes six Benjamin Franklin to change a Lexus light bulb. LOL
Old 08-09-13, 07:01 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by smadap
Sorry for starting a new thread, but I'm ripping what's left of my hair out!

Can someone give me the final word on the wonderful headlights we have been blessed with on our 07 GS350's? After searching the net for hours, there does not seem to be any common answer to this basic question. Dealer wants $250 per bulb just for the part. First time around, I went ahead and paid almost $600 to have the dealer replace my driver's side bulb. At 100K miles, it has now gone out again (passenger still stock - want to replace both).

1. What are the best aftermarket replacement bulbs to get? (not looking for anything crazy - just a good deal on a replacement bulb that is comparable to stock and won't burn out in 4 months)

2. Where should I buy the bulbs?

3. Step by step instructions on replacing the bulbs? (dealer said the bumper has to come off???)

Thanks in advance everyone!!!!
Wow that's crazy, I will say that you should take your time, although I did it on my hybrid I tried to take out my bulb and replace it and it slipped out my finger into the housing. I would def agree with the xenon depot bulbs they are really good for the price I think better than Garax. I would grab the 5k ones.
Old 08-14-13, 08:46 AM
mikehuynh
Driver School Candidate

The phillips oem 4300k bulbs are on amazon for about $50.