GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

need Mechanic help, air bag sensors related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 12:15 PM
sush1a
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need Mechanic help, air bag sensors related.

Fellas, My 07 GS350 got totaled and I bought it back from the insurance company hoping to get it fixed.

I need to replace 4 airbags, both of the side curtain airbags and both of the rear seat's side airbags.

I found the curtain airbags for $100 in junkyards instead of $927 brand new from dealership. Would those be a problem to be installed?

Now do I need to replace all the airbag sensors? on the insurance quote, it says that I need to replace a CTR Air Bag Sensor, then R Rear Air Bag sensor and L Rear Air Bag sensor.

I read that you can have your airbag module reset by shipping it off to someone online. Do I just send out the CTR Airbag Sensor? Or do I need to ship out the L & R rear air bag sensors too?

Another question would be do I have to replace all the seat belts? Or can I replace just the seat belts that was buckled when the air bags deployed? I was buckled and the rear center seat was buckled onto a baby seat base. All the seat belts seems to work fine though, none of them locks up.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-10-13, 06:59 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Now when you say they sold you the car back to you, was it with a clean title, salvage rebuildable, or COD parts only title?

If its clean title look on ebay for parts, youll find a lot better deals. Also car-parts.com for used parts

I have some experience with airbags, but not on Lexus but i have done many Toyotas. Buy the airbags that you need, you dont need to replace the sensors due to a crash unless they were psychically damaged. I have used ebay to reprogram the airbag ecu with great success. Once you install everything, see if you get any codes. If you do get codes the system will tell you which airbag or sensors are not working properly.

For the seat airbags its easier just to buy a complete seat vs taking apart the seat and or having an upholstery shop do the repair.

Seat belts ive never reloaded them, ive always bought used, just make sure its same color belt.
Old 07-11-13, 09:07 AM
sush1a
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the reply,

They totaled it, so I am buying it back to salvage it. Once its done, I'll have to have it inspected and it'll have a salvage title.

the front seat airbags didn't deploy, it was just the side airbags next to the back seats and the side curtain airbags. I found side curtain airbags for ~$100, so thats a savings of $800 per airbag. the rear seat airbags are harder to find, the cheapest i found was $256 each.

So I don't have to replace the sensors if it isn't broken? That's good news, because the insurance quote is telling me that i need to replace 5 of them.. that's around a thousand already. I'm guessing I just need to replace the 1 bad left side sensor and send the main airbag control unit to have it reset.

How about the seat belts? they're all working fine, it doesn't get stuck when pulled. I don't think the seat belts really did anything when I got hit, because i was hit on the side, so the seat belt didn't really have to restrain me.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by sush1a; 07-11-13 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 02:29 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Ok if they gave you a salvage title and you plan on driving the car on the road again theres a few things you need to be aware of.

First the title, is it Salvage rebuildable or Salvage COD meaning parts only or for export. Once you have it inspected and pass inspection they will issue you a Rebuilt title.

Second is when buying airbags or any used parts, when you go for your DMV inspection to make sure you have vin numbers and serial numbers (serial numbers only for airbags and located on the label) from the vehicle they came off of. Not sure how it is in CA but here in FL you will not pass inspection with this.

Make sure to have plenty of pictures of the car, the damage, and all the airbags.

If this were my car, I would send out the Airbag ecu to have reprogrammed and just replaced the blown airbags.Plug it all in and most likely you shouldn't have any issues. if you get any airbag warning light take it to a mechanic to have him scan the airbag network and he should be able to tell you which sensor is bad.

As far as the seatbelts goes if they are not locked then they are ok, theres usually like some sort of gun powder locking when they are triggered they lock the belts yours seem to be alright.